Just made it back from a two day hunt in the NW part of Oklahoma near Gage, OK. Known to be the coldest part of the state.
I have been after this 8 pnt for three weeks and he had been giving me the slip each weekend or I didn't even see him last weekend.
I wanted to break in my newest XP100 in 284 by Apache Machine. I had been set up in a pop up blind for the last two days, waiting for a good shot. Most of my shooting lanes were from 80yds to 225yd. Thunder woke me this am with some lightning and sleet. Not good for getting to my blind 3/4 mile from the road.
The rain broke about 8:30 and I made a dash for the blind to get in some good morning hunting. Stayed unitl about 1:00 pm and then took a break for some lunch. Got back into the blind at 3:00 pm and this buck made a mistake by crossing one of my clearings at 4:20pm going to a bean field the next section over.
Took him with a Berger 140grn VLD Hunter bullet. He stumbled at the shot and ran about 10 yds into a barbed wire fence and did a flip and when he hit the ground, that was it. He weighed 160 field dressed. He was a tough drag to a place where I could get my truck to him. Both of the lungs were a mess and broke two ribs and some other damage inside. I have two more tags for doe that I will try to use during our holiday doe season around Christmas.
Steve makes a wicked accurate pistol and good looking also.
Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, You get old because you quit playing.