As to the bullet choices, I have tried some of the bigger offerings. The primary issue is that the case is a 1/16" longer than a acp case. But the limiting factor is the magazine OAL. So any bullet gets set deeper in the case relative to the crimp location (not powder location), and bullets with a wide meplat can be problematic in the magazine. Case in point is just run of the mill 230 ball. Some rounds mfg. will work, others no go as to get the oal set for the magazine, the case mouth hits high enough on the bullet to be above the ogive radius/taper point for the crimp. Obvoius no go. With some of the 255 fp's, you have to set them so deep to fit the magazine (width in front), the case mouth hits above the forward edge of the bullet driving band. So it is a balancing act when you get bigger than 230, but it can be done.

I have not tried many of the 255 or larger offerings in the keith or lbt style yet. I can get a 265 Cast Performance to crimp and feed properly, and if you like jacketed bullets the XTP's are available in enough weights and "magnum" design to find one to work, probably. If I were a whitetail hunter, life would be so much easier. I live in mule deer and black bear country, so perhaps I am being a little more cautious. I have done a boatload of XTP, 250 and lighter offerings penetration testing, and you can get reasonable XTP performance. But you can flat fold a 230 XTP inside out. Same with the Nosler 250 sporting bullet. One bullet that looks pretty dang good is the Beartooth 225 acp bullet. It penetrates to all get out, holds together, and pushes a lot of material. But I am a little leery, as the nose profile is not lbt per se, and I am afraid to try it on meat harvesting. I have a bunch loaded up for black bear and general defensive stuff, as I carry mine full time at the ranch that I play at. I definately have more purchasing and testing to do this spring with heavier bullets. Right now my first attempt is gonna be with the FA 260's that I use in my 454. The nose/core lead is very hard and has a destinctive flat reasonably wide meplat. I would not expect this bullet to open, but perhaps behave like a lbt/Kieth. Need to test.

As to the guns holding up, that is a concern. What it entails is a lot of 1911 "trickery". By this I mean dealing with a flat firing pin stop, balancing spring weights all the way around (recoil and main) and other things to try and minimize battering. I destroyed the bottom lugs on a Clark barrel while playing with comp-less. With the Clark, the comp is needed. What is also needed is a good barrel fit, all the way around, especially the upper lugs. Combine all of this and I think you can expect reasonable life. I have thousands of full pressure loads through one barrel, with no gun or barrel ill effects, but I also have one cracked Colt frame, and blew out a springfield slide with a bullet setback mishap. My only reloading mishap in 30 years of reloading, and I lucked out.

I have been playing and experimenting for 8 or ten years with the 460, and have a lot of rounds down range. It is fun, and I love the round, but it is not for the sloppy, or for someone who does not really pay attention. It helps to be a 1911 nut, who is up to speed on mods. I guess I would liken it to a 44 mag S&W revolver v. a Ruger in 44 (since everyone likes to say it equates to a 44 mag). With a S&W, you have to be a little more mindful of loads and lifespan, whereas the Ruger's are typically so overbuilt you can beat them senseless. I too have been intrigued with the 10mm, but then I alwys fall back on a little more speed, a little more bullet weight, and a little more diameter. Plus I love to tinker.

Craig

edit: Rio, sorry that was rude of me. Yes, there are a couple of bullets in your link that look interesting. The one you have pictured looks like it might work, but the width of the meplat might get into the situation I described above. I have not felt the need for gas checks in my Clark barrels. The finish has been so smooth that any residual leading comes right out with a little choreboy, and I have not had enough leading to degrade accuracy in any way. Not like you are going to shoot hundreds at one time, although I have done it at times. The only lead bullet issues that bug me are comp related. The comp does get pretty dirty and can get lead deposits in it. I will never shoot lead exclusively for that reason, but certainly for bullets that are used for something more than practice or plinking.

Last edited by Bearbait in NM; 01/07/2012 2:38 PM.

Northern born and Southern bred