Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Shooters Bench Jump to new posts
Re: Question for those who roll their own. Raptortrapper 05/16/2022 11:25 PM
Thanks guys. Okay- from the top...

Ernie- Man, I'd love to come do Wyshot again, but I doubt it will be this year. I need to get your address though as I would like to donate some stuff from the store for the prizes you give out.

Reflex- I was one of those that didn't even know there was an issue with the website. I logged back in and thought, "Well this looks different." Did a little reading on the threads and figured out what happened. Glad it's back up and running. Thanks for the link, I will give them a call and get this rolling. I don't think I'm going to pursue the "not using a gas check" option. Was just curious, but sounds like it is more trouble than it's worth. Was just thinking that if I ever ran out of gas checks, is shooting without them an option. I'll stock up, and shouldn't have to worry about it. I know each gun is different, and I am really hoping that this one likes the 335gr bullets that I have on hand. Won't be the end of the world if it doesn't. Just means more "testing", and I'm okay with that! :-)

Mup- Thanks for the link. I will check it out for sure. Always enjoy the history of bullets, handguns, etc.
4 36 Read More
Re: Question for those who roll their own. Walkingthemup 05/16/2022 9:28 PM
Good to see you back. I'm probably wrong, but I was of the belief that Cast Performance used Veral Smith's LBT bullet designs. Whether you go down that path or not, it's worth reading the material on the LBT website. https://lbtmolds.com/Home/tabid/5805/Default.aspx
4 36 Read More
Re: Question for those who roll their own. reflex264 05/16/2022 12:25 PM
Good to see you back. Unfortunately Everyone doesn't know it's back yet. Casting isn't hard. It is very rewarding. For the last few years I have been too busy to even set my casting stuff back up. Give Mountain Molds a buzz. Here is a link: https://mountainmolds.com/
As far as shooting bullets without a gas check on low end loads it works OK. I tried to push some .44 bullets that was a gas check design fast and it didn't work well. Individual guns vary and I have heard of some guns shooting pretty stiff loads without a gas check OK. One thing with having a mold cut is you can get a two cavity with one gas check and the other plain base. Lyman has a really good book to get you started.

It is interesting that the 335gr works well for you. We have tried it in numerous guns and it was always mediocre. From the 4 5/8" guns I can drive the 360gr Oregon trail 1250fps using the 300MP data with no problems. Once again different guns have different likes.

What part of Colorado is your shot located?
4 36 Read More
Re: Question for those who roll their own. Ernie 05/15/2022 10:50 PM
Welcome back!
Planning any time to come up and shoot?
4 36 Read More
Question for those who roll their own. Raptortrapper 05/15/2022 6:18 PM
Been a LOOOOOOONG time since I've been on here. Good to see the old familiar names, as well as some new ones. Glad the board is still alive and doing well. Life has been going 1000 miles an hour for me. Bought the local gun store last September, and barely have time to breath. I now have three business, but about to whittle that down to 2 by getting rid of the electrical business. Been doing that for 22 years, and my body is done. The sporting good store is starting to run itself now, and things are leveling out. May even get rid of the third online falconry business so I can focus on the store. It has grown quicker than I expected, which is great! Hopefully it continues, but we are just now getting into what is supposed to be our "slow season". We haven't really slowed down though!! But getting rid of the electrical business buys me more time that I can be doing the things I want to do. Handgun hunting is one of those things.

I miss Fezzik, my last 45 Colt I had built, then sold. So I bought another Ruger Super Blackhawk to do my third build on, and am going to try to roll my own for this one. Well, kind of... I absolutely loved the results I got with the 335gr LFNGC that I used from Cast Performance with Fezzik, so I'm going to run those through this revolver as well. However, I want to send that bullet off and have a custom mold made for it so I can dive into casting my own bullets. Can't be THAT hard, can it???

For those who have been there and done that, who do you recommend for having custom molds made? I'm not interested in any other bullet, so please don't suggest any. I have about 600 of these from Cast Performance already, so want to use those up, then be able to jump right in to the ones I make. I don't like changing things once I find something I like, so really do want to stay with this one.

Also, a question about gas checks. That 335gr LFNGC I referred to up top obviously uses a gas check. But what if I fire one of those through my revolver, and don't have a gas check on it? Does it create leading issues? I have two loads that I ran with Fezzik - one was a light load that ran 850fps, and the other was a hot load that was 1175fps. If I take the gas check off the bullet at those velocities, what happens?
4 36 Read More
Re: Parts for a Competitor Franchise 05/14/2022 11:06 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think that you'll find one unless someone who has a Competitor, just has an extra extractor. I know that Al's son, Ritchard Staitiff is still alive. Find him, and he may have a line on extra parts. I know that he still lives around Jaffrey, NH
1 85 Read More
Handgun Hunting Jump to new posts
Re: Bullet for Brown Bear wvhitman 05/14/2022 3:44 PM
Tom, I did a 8' brown bear several years ago with my Taurus Raging Bull .500 S&W at 129 yds. with a 375 br. Barnes X. He dropped and was dead. My guide insisted I put another one in him, but it wasn't needed. The X is a fantastic bullet for heavy game. Getting ready for this hunt I took several deer with this combo out to 150 yds. All were 1 shot.
Not handloading makes it a little more difficult. 350 XTPs are definitely NOT good bullets for much of anything.
email me at wvhitman@frontiernet.net and we can "talk" a little more.
Larry
2 125 Read More
Re: Bullet for Brown Bear Vance in AK. 05/12/2022 12:34 AM
No suggestions but good luck & keep us posted!!!
2 125 Read More
Re: 460 Rowland Blackhawk Ronnie Wells frame reflex264 05/11/2022 8:06 PM
Now with Fermin's sight installed.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
9 561 Read More
Re: Beautiful Handguns Thread - Let's see 'em! gemihur 05/11/2022 7:56 PM
Here's some furniture that helps me hang on
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
335 802,590 Read More
460 Rowland Glock reflex264 05/06/2022 12:23 PM
Here is the old girl. Still a fun gun.
0 38 Read More
Re: hunting autos reflex264 05/05/2022 1:10 PM
Originally Posted by 45BBH
Nice setups, Ive been hunting with my G35 some but havent got the chance in a while.

G35 especially with a fully supported barrel like a KKM would be a legit killer.
2 72 Read More
Re: hunting autos 45BBH 05/04/2022 12:46 AM
Nice setups, Ive been hunting with my G35 some but havent got the chance in a while.
2 72 Read More
Re: Building another Glock 45BBH 05/04/2022 12:43 AM
Looks good, the 45 Super is a beast. I shot and loaded for it quite a bit in a G21 Gen4 with KKM 4 port barrel, most of the upper end loads needed the comp. Had the barrels freebore extended just enough so that I could load 45 Colt bullets (250-300gr) at the 1.26-1.27" OAL. Yours should shoot good, it was easy to get 800-900+ ft-lb loads with 250gr+ bullets.
5 138 Read More
hunting autos reflex264 05/03/2022 2:05 PM
From .357 Sig to 460 Rowland
Yes they all hunt. Even have more autos not shown that hunt.
2 72 Read More
Re: Building another Glock reflex264 05/03/2022 1:53 PM
I have been experimenting constantly with triggers. On that gun the sidelock is actually a good option. On the .460 the slide velocity causes a near violent trigger reset. If you try to put a light trigger in the Rowland you will end up with a sore finger. Do to the nature of the way the .460 Rowland is carried the siderlock gives me a touch of insurance from having an unwanted situation. It actually works quite well for that gun.
5 138 Read More
Handgun Classifieds Jump to new posts
Re: Lee Single Cartridge Loaders longhunter 05/01/2022 4:59 AM
SOLD!
1 51 Read More
Bullet for Brown Bear tjvct 05/01/2022 3:36 AM
Hi all
I am new to the forum but experienced handgun hunter
Use both the 454 and 500 S&W for deer, black bear, hogs, and many larger African plains game using the 500
I booked a Kodiak Brown Bear hunt next year and would like
Advice on Ammo/bullet selection for my 500 s&w
I usually only use Underwood Ammo as I don’t hand load
Underwood choices are hard cast lead 440 or 500 gr or they have a 350 or 420 grain solid copper penetrator.
Also have 350 xtp but I wasn’t impressed on performance on my African animals
All advice would be much appreciated
Thank you
Tom
2 125 Read More
Lee Single Cartridge Loaders longhunter 04/30/2022 9:02 PM
.357 magnum, .44 magnum, 45/70 Complete kits, nothing missing but the box for the 45/70 kit and the instructions for the .44mag but those for the .357 will work, they are all the same. Will also throw in 18 extra measuring scoops. Not going to sell these separately, just too much hassle. So, everything for $100 shipped
1 51 Read More
Re: Roll Call Round 2 COR 04/29/2022 1:08 PM
I’m just here as a friend of Shawn’s above so he is the one that leaked this to me … (and I missed Max). I am glad you all started this back up, it was always a hidden gem among handgun forums especially when really active… early in the 2000’s I was invited out to east of me in what I believe was central Pa to shoot TC’s and although that members name slips me I never forgot the gesture.

I really just like a lot of guns but …. “King” Colts and 4” N frames really get me excited… (if you want to talk a 5 incher now we need some of that McKenna).
1,450 7,854,137 Read More
Looking for Barnes 225gn 0.451 bullets karl 04/28/2022 4:45 PM
Hello All
Here's a bit of a stretch. I'm looking for some of the Barnes 225gn 0.451" bullets for the 45 colt. Does anyone have anything (2-3 boxes) they would be willing to part with for cash or trade?

I have a fair amount of trading stock.
lots of 110gn 30 cal bullets (barnes black tip, V max, and Z max) that I use in 30-30
some 120gn 30 cal barnes black tip.

some of the Barnes 250gn 0.451 bullets for the 454.
I've got a fair number of the Barnes 458 SOCOM bullet too (works well in +p 45-70)

I've got lots of the Hornady XTP for 357, 45 colt and 454 and 45-70.
0 29 Read More
Re: Building another Glock Charlie SA 04/27/2022 2:58 PM
I recall about 9 or 10 years back you used the SiderLock trigger saftey on your G21, don't see that on the Glocks in S&W40 caliber I've seen lately. any particular reason you no longer use the SiderLock?
Thanks,
Charlie
5 138 Read More
Re: FS-Handgun Scope longhunter 04/27/2022 2:14 AM
Sold!
2 100 Read More
Re: 475 Linebaugh Bisley BFR 4sale 6.5” NEW bearskinner 04/26/2022 4:37 PM
**** SOLD****
1 83 Read More
Re: Looking for some 41 mag brass for a friend Ernie 04/25/2022 6:13 AM
I have found brass for my friend already.
1 54 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Ernie 4
45BBH 2
COR 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 23 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod