Handgunhunt

New horse in the stable.

Posted By: minnesotahunter

New horse in the stable. - 10/21/2011 5:28 PM

So I'm out looking for a semi-auto that would work well for a deer gun, and I run across this Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 45colt. It is brand new, and priced at $530!!! I couldn't resist. The semi-auto project will have to wait till next year. I CAN'T WAIT FOR GUN SEASON!!!!

Don't plan on using optics, but it's nice to have the option.

Here she is.

MN
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/21/2011 5:35 PM

Excellent score!! That is a very nice piece! Congratulations! When are you going to try it out?

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/21/2011 5:38 PM

Thanks. As soon as I can! Busy bowhunting this weekend....but I'm going to have to throw a few rounds down range between hunts.

MN
Posted By: KRal

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/21/2011 5:51 PM

Nice Find! If it's as accurate as my 44 Bisley Hunter, you won't regret it!
Posted By: esoxman50

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/21/2011 6:06 PM

That should put any semi-auto to shame. Looks better too.

Joe W
Posted By: lagbolt44

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/21/2011 6:18 PM

SWEET!Good luck with your hunts this weekend! If you score early,you'll just have more time to get your SBH dialed in!
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/21/2011 6:46 PM

Originally Posted By: esoxman50
That should put any semi-auto to shame. Looks better too.

Joe W

Amen to that sentiment!
Posted By: Gary

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/21/2011 7:06 PM

that was a great buy
Posted By: wizzard

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/21/2011 7:56 PM

you lucky dog!!! have fun with it!
\:\)
Posted By: dc74

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/21/2011 9:01 PM

nice 45 ruger cant go wrong.
Posted By: racksmasher

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/22/2011 12:09 AM

Can't go wrong with a Ruger, congrat's.
Posted By: MIHunter

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/22/2011 12:16 AM

Sweet gun and a great buy!
Posted By: 98Redline

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/22/2011 1:38 AM

Two words: Tack Driver!
Posted By: SChunter

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/22/2011 1:08 PM

MN,

Welcome to the sixgun world! You won't be dissatisfied...
Posted By: flingwinger

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/22/2011 5:04 PM

Sweeeeet! 45 Colt is a great cartridge. I've got a SRH in 454 and love it. Good shootin n huntin.

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/22/2011 9:24 PM

Thanks guys. I get to shoot her tomorrow!! Sitting in the tree with my bow right now......
Posted By: johnwilliams

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/23/2011 1:45 PM

nice piece!
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/23/2011 7:34 PM

my bisley hunter in 45 colt shoots excellent, and i am sure yours will too. handloaded 250 gr XTPs shot especially well with a stiff charge of H110.

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/24/2011 5:41 PM

Well, she's a shooter. Just shot some factory LeverEvolution ammo, as I'm not set up to load 45 yet. Didn't get to bench it or anything, but she's dead deer accurate standing offhand out to about 45yrds. At 20, the holes were almost touching, and at 45, 90% of them stayed on the paper plate. Didn't streach it any further on this quick outing.

Just shot it enough to dial in the sights, and have a little fun.

Very comfortable to shoot.

Smooth.

A quick "poor boy's trigger job" improved the factory trigger by a TON, and help with the accuracy.

Very very happy with the purchace.

Thanks for the load info, I'll be needing it as soon as I pick up some dies.

MN

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/24/2011 5:44 PM

minnesotahunter.that is dam good off hand.. what is a poor boys trigger job ..?

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/24/2011 7:20 PM

dc74,
Thanks, but I don't claim to be a great shot or anything. I'm sure lots of guys here would put me to shame. I've shot revolvers a lot though. I had a S&W 629, Taurus, and a different SBH in 44mag. Once my little brother and I started casting our own 44 bullets out of wheel weights, the costs went down, and we shot more often. Now I'll have to get set up for the 45.

For me, at 45yrds, the sight picture is more challanging than holding steady. Those iron sights look awefully big. I try to focus on the front sight, and put it on the "fuzzy" target.

Last year I shot a doe at 40yrds offhand with my young cousins sitting next to me on a log. But that's another story...

As to the "poor boys trigger job", it's easy, and only takes a few minutes.

1. take either grip panel off. Doesn't matter which. Lift the spring arm off the post on one side. It will be obvious what I mean when you get in there. This lightens the trigger pull considerably.

2. Make sure gun is unloaded. Cock hammer. Apply firm pressure forward on the hammer as you pull the trigger. Repeat this a few times. This smooths out the trigger pull.

I have done this to a couple of different SBHs, and it makes a world of difference from the stock trigger.

I didn't come up with it, but I sure like it.

WARNING: I can not say for sure that this will not harm the gun. Do your own research to decide if you think it is safe for your gun. It has been hashed over a lot here and on other sites.

MN

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/25/2011 4:02 PM

thanks minnesotahunter i have herd of pushing on hammer and pulling trigger but not the spring thing
Posted By: jajwrigh

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/27/2011 1:35 AM

Great gun and a great price!
Posted By: greengiant

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/28/2011 4:49 PM

Forget the Auto-Loader unless you are going to use it exclusively on the range for target shooting. Who in his right mind would want to line up on a good animal or get himself in a dangerous situation and have the S-A jam or misfire. With a quality revolver that is well maintained, this simply does not happen. I have a BlackHawk 45 Long Colt Revolver and love it. However, my favorite is my RedHawk, 44 super mag, 9" with a 4-power, electronic red dot scope.
Posted By: Mad Dog 1954

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/30/2011 10:46 AM

Nice find good luck
Posted By: Mad Dog 1954

Re: New horse in the stable. - 10/31/2011 4:15 PM

Very nice
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums