Handgunhunt

Prime Winter Coyote

Posted By: Gregg Richter

Prime Winter Coyote - 12/10/2011 2:33 AM

This nice "Montana Grade" male came into my stranded fawn call this morning; I was set up prone with my 6.5 JDJ on the bipod; he came straight in and I stopped him at about 75 yards with my mouth kiss, and the 120 Speer took him straight on in the center of the chest.

As they say, DRT.

Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/10/2011 2:38 AM

Nice! We need to thin some of them out of our deer woods this winter.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/10/2011 2:51 AM

Good job Gregg!
Posted By: texasbilly

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/10/2011 3:00 AM

just shot one last week.same place right in the chest with a 270 at 20 yrds . have lots here in texas to .love to use them as target practice lol!
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/10/2011 3:25 AM

Excellent!
Posted By: wyote

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/10/2011 3:52 AM

Thats what I'm talkin about!!!! WTG Greg!
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/10/2011 9:03 AM

good shooting Gregg! we all like to see a good coyote down!
Posted By: KRal

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/10/2011 12:41 PM

Congrats, Gregg!
Posted By: Charlie Young

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/10/2011 2:38 PM

Congrats,Gregg. Great shot....another yodel pup down.
Posted By: Russell

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/10/2011 3:37 PM

That'll work!! WTG, Gregg!
Posted By: paul0

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/10/2011 5:02 PM

I like it, good job.
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/10/2011 5:12 PM

S W E E E E E T!

What do you do with the hides?

What type of call were you using?

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/10/2011 6:34 PM

Thanks all for the good comments!

Originally Posted By: TCTex.
S W E E E E E T!

What do you do with the hides?

What type of call were you using?

TCTex: I used to skin, stretch, dry and sell the hides; then for a number of years there was a furbuyer from Nebraska that would buy them whole; they made a route through Colorado and several other states to buy hides and wholes. I haven't seen them lately though.

This one is in the freezer until I decide what I am going to do...I have had many many many 'yotes in the freezer (chest type in basement) much to my wife's disappointment...along with the elk meat, deer meat, etc... I double bag them in heavy duty garbage bags and they don't even smell.

\:\)

This time I was using an electronic call made by FoxPro, one of their low-end older callers.
Posted By: MIHunter

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/10/2011 7:41 PM

Great shooting, congrats!
Posted By: wheelguns

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/10/2011 8:25 PM

That's a beauty Gregg. Nice job

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/10/2011 8:44 PM

Gregg
Were you up high or down at lower elevation when you took him?
Posted By: HoggHunter

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/10/2011 9:23 PM

great job Gregg, actually I was thinkin' bout this today in the woods, we have a silly law that allows me to use any caliber in a handgun, but not a rifle when the deer season is open, DS starts oct 15 and goes to dec 20, what would be a better cartridge .204 or 22-250? or ???
Posted By: racksmasher

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/11/2011 12:37 AM

Way to go greg, keep smackin them.

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/11/2011 1:59 AM

Originally Posted By: wyote
Gregg
Were you up high or down at lower elevation when you took him?

Just about 8300 feet elevation. That qualifies as medium elevation...
\:\)
My main coyote hunting grounds are the South Park area which is around 10,000 feet; high plains we call it as it is wide open grazing land, lots of cattle ranches, but winters are absolutely brutal; I have seen the highway closed too many times to count from the high winds and blowing snow. Lots and lots of below zero days out there (and worse nights.)

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/11/2011 2:47 AM

Originally Posted By: HoggHunter
great job Gregg, actually I was thinkin' bout this today in the woods, we have a silly law that allows me to use any caliber in a handgun, but not a rifle when the deer season is open, DS starts oct 15 and goes to dec 20, what would be a better cartridge .204 or 22-250? or ???

I have used both; go with your 22-250.

And you know me by now guys and gals, I always lean toward the heavier side on most everything to do with calibers and game.

Plenty swear by the .204 but I have lost a few that I felt my 22-250 would have SMACKED DEAD...

Coyotes are very very tough. I spent sooo muucch time hunting my coyote areas back in those days that I tell you this story in all good faith as it being the absolute truth.

One cold wintry day I was howling and a big old male dog came in, then winded me and turned to leave. My 52 grain Speer hollowpoint from my tried and proven Rem. 788 22-250 was already on its way as he turned, and to my horror it tore into his right rear leg.

Over an hour later, nearing sundown, I gave up the trail, though it certainly was not for lack of blood. As I turned back to the truck, my thoughts and spirits were as low as they can get. I truly respect the coyote; their intelligence and wildness and free spirit, in lieu of man's attempt to control them. I have spent countless hours observing them from far off with good glass, they are amazing animals. I do not hate them as some do. I felt as bad at wounding that one and losing him as I would with practically any big game animal; I hoped he would not suffer much.

Fast forward two years, same hunting area, same ranch where I had wounded Limpy; the name I gave him because he had survived and I had seen him a half dozen times the following winter as well as this winter, but never in a position to get a shot.

That morning, I walked out to a low rise that would give me a good set up for calling. After setting up and calling a while, with a wounded rabbit mouth call, two coyotes started in, and my heart started crazily thumping: the lead male was Limpy!

I put him in the crosshairs and pulled the trigger, and completely missed him! A gimmee shot, and I blew it! Maybe the tension was too high: getting another shot at Limpy after two years! Limpy kicked into afterburner, rocketing right to left across in front of me, on his three good legs. My heart stopped, but somehow I bolted another round of 22-250 into the chamber, and wildly put the gun up. I swung with him and then when the cross was just ahead, I jerked the trigger.

Limpy sommersaulted and finally, at last, lay still.

I felt like a jerk.
Posted By: junebug

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/11/2011 4:47 AM

Greg
I truly applaud your attitude and reverence for the animals you hunt,as I feel the same way .We owe a clean quick finish to any game we pursue,big or small,varmit or game animal. Here we can use any centerfire rifle or handgun holding no more than 11 rounds for deer. A very stupid law but law it is. Elk rifles and pistols have to have a .270 caliber bore or larger, with pistols haveing a 6 inch or longer barrel and producing at least 550 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yds. So I can hunt deer with a .25 auto but not elk. I have never wished for a smaller gun ,but have seen times when I sure wished I had a bigger one. There is no such thing as over kill,use enough gun!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/11/2011 5:15 AM

Originally Posted By: junebug
Greg
I truly applaud your attitude and reverence for the animals you hunt,as I feel the same way .We owe a clean quick finish to any game we pursue,big or small,varmit or game animal. Here we can use any centerfire rifle or handgun holding no more than 11 rounds for deer. A very stupid law but law it is. Elk rifles and pistols have to have a .270 caliber bore or larger, with pistols haveing a 6 inch or longer barrel and producing at least 550 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yds. So I can hunt deer with a .25 auto but not elk. I have never wished for a smaller gun ,but have seen times when I sure wished I had a bigger one. There is no such thing as over kill,use enough gun!!!!!!!!!!!!

X2!!!!!
Posted By: HoggHunter

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/11/2011 2:48 PM

NY laws used to be 35 cal or larger and 4" barrel minimum, which was a parody of a study that said "theminimum should be the energy equivalent of 158 gr load from a 4" barreled 357 magnum, but that was way too complicated for the legislators, now it is any centerfire, no barrel length restrictions. Sometimes the laws seem crazy, but I would so much prefer that when they err, that they give us less restrictive laws and then have mentors like Gregg and Rod(s), Dan aand Gary that insist that we as a group create our own code of ethics that demand respect for our quarry and kill them quickly and cleanly. It is not simply the tool, but a combination of the hunter's skills and the ability of the tool.

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/11/2011 5:45 PM

Top: Some of my coyote pelts ready for sale.

Bottom: Coyote I killed with .204 Ruger.

Posted By: Mn Handgunner

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/11/2011 5:49 PM

Nice job on the yotes.

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/11/2011 6:05 PM

Great pic and good job putting them up!
Posted By: Shortgun

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/11/2011 9:27 PM

Good Job Sir, Just think ,they'll be another deer or two make it through the winter because he's dead!!
Posted By: huntkng

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/11/2011 11:09 PM

Gregg...you're soooo mean...poor little doggie. Did you get that I'm so jealous. I haven't shot one this year...guess I'd better get out there!

Bill in OR
Posted By: bmbailes

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/12/2011 2:35 AM

beautiful job sir! that has to be a thrill with a handgun! ive only killed one with a ruger gp100 but it was one of my most treasured memories....had to keep that pelt and skull:)
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/12/2011 9:47 AM

#2 Very nice coyote Gregg Richter.....Very nice
Posted By: 7P's

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/13/2011 9:49 PM

I have never wished for a smaller gun ,but have seen times when I sure wished I had a bigger one. There is no such thing as over kill,use enough gun!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I went to grammar school, we were taught the definition of over-kill and I remember it well – over-kill; the placing of one or more bullets into a cold body. Still applies today.
Posted By: junebug

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/14/2011 3:47 AM

According to my Websters New World Dictionary of the American language it is .

The capacity of a nuclear stockpile to kill more than the total
population of a given nation ;

My, how times have changed!

Webster Obviously wasn't a handgunner!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Prime Winter Coyote - 12/14/2011 5:11 AM

According to my Websters New World Dictionary of the American language it is .

The capacity of a nuclear stockpile to kill more than the total
population of a given nation ;

My, how times have changed!

Webster Obviously wasn't a handgunner!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd like to test that definition on the middle east, make a pretty glass parking lot out of it with all the oil we'll ever need and then they can all go meet allah. How did we get here again?
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums