Handgunhunt

My Florida Hog Hunt

Posted By: .480 Hunter

My Florida Hog Hunt - 03/30/2012 2:45 AM

I had been looking forward to going on this hog hunt for a long time, and I finally got to do it. I spent the first two days with my dad in treestands with no luck . Then on the third I finally convinced him that we were not going to get a hog if we stayed here any longer, and it turned out to be a very good decision for my dad and I. So we got in the swamp buggy with my guide Carlos and his three dogs Snorty, Hank, and Bugs. After a half an hour of running around through the swamps the dogs finally cut a trail. Snorty bayed up 2 hogs in a large saw palmetto thicket. The hogs were being stubborn and wouldn't come out. So my guide Carlos and I crawled into the palmettos getting torn up as we went. We had to crawl through a hog tunnel to get to them. When we reached them Carlos called off the dogs and I made a quick shot. The round went through the hogs eye and was down instantly. It was still squirming so I put another round in its head just for good measure. When I shot my dads hog ran out the other end of the hog tunnel. At that point Carlos hurried the dogs and I out of the thicket so the other Hog would not get too far. You've heard my father's story and you what happend next, but he did not mention the best part, my dad making me drag my own hog out of the thicket by myself claiming he was too old to do this stuff anymore. I then sighed and dragged my hog 25yds through the thicket, over fallen trees and through briars and branches I had finally made it out of the thicket. When I got to the swamp buggy out of breath, Carlos and my dad began watching me attempt to lift the hog off the ground and throw it up onto the 4ft high hog hauling platform. After watching me fail for about five minutes they decided they take it into their own hands and do it themselves which was fortunate for me. I can't wait till we do this again.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: My Florida Hog Hunt - 03/30/2012 2:55 AM

Thanks for the story. Another of those wish you were there moments.
Posted By: Dave Tarbell

Re: My Florida Hog Hunt - 03/30/2012 4:25 AM

Congratulations on a wild hunt,a memory youll never forget.
Posted By: MIHunter

Re: My Florida Hog Hunt - 03/30/2012 12:32 PM

Congrats, sounds like a fun time!
Posted By: jsjmag

Re: My Florida Hog Hunt - 03/30/2012 4:39 PM

Congrat,crawling through a hog tunnel will make the hair on your neck stand up!Good story!
Posted By: sc1911cwp

Re: My Florida Hog Hunt - 03/31/2012 12:32 AM

Every moment it time is a potential memory, Cherish this one. Mull over it, laugh about it and in time shed a tear. You are one lucky man.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: My Florida Hog Hunt - 03/31/2012 5:48 PM

Congratulations 480! Good shooting and great story!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: My Florida Hog Hunt - 04/01/2012 9:08 PM

you and pop had a wonderful time....
Posted By: S.B.

Re: My Florida Hog Hunt - 04/08/2012 11:56 PM

While hunting Russians in Vermont, my guides rules were the same:if it's still moving put another round into it. Must be the same all over?
Steve
Posted By: Boartuff

Re: My Florida Hog Hunt - 04/10/2012 4:22 AM

Congrats on your success and good time! Hog hunting rates pretty high with me.
Posted By: cottonstalk

Re: My Florida Hog Hunt - 04/11/2012 1:19 PM

Congrats,another memory you will have forever.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums