Handgunhunt

Fast-fire test

Posted By: wtroper

Fast-fire test - 06/03/2012 6:16 PM

In another thread on this forum a question was raised concerning the ability to use the reflex type sights very late in the day. I ran a little unscientific test for you last night.

I was sitting on the back porch at our place near Clarendon. It was after sundown & 7 mule deer were in the back yard. They were just grazing, drinking at the water trough & visiting the feeders. They ranged from about 15 yds away to 100 yds. I had my Ruger 327 mag with the Fast-fire in my lap hoping that a coon would show up.

I thought about the above referenced question & began playing with sighting on the various deer. I was able to easily see them well enough to make a killing shot at 100 yds until 9:05 PM CST. By 9:15 I could still see that deer were there (100 yds) but it was dark enough that I could not tell which end the head was on.

My take was if you can see the animal clearly enough to identify a target location on it, the dot in the reflex sight can be used. Since the reflex has no magnification or light gathering capabilities, I could tell no difference looking through it and looking with just my eyes. If you can see them without any assistance, you can see them through the reflex.
Posted By: kingfisher

Re: Fast-fire test - 06/03/2012 6:32 PM

I just purchased a Trijicon RMR for my new 629 and am hoping this will be the case (reflex = naked eye) because with an Aimpoint 9000 I can actually see better with naked eye at dusk than thru that scope. Looking forward to testing the Trij out on the color BROWN at dusk!
Posted By: Gary

Re: Fast-fire test - 06/03/2012 6:40 PM

I've got an RMR on the way too for testing on my FA 475.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Fast-fire test - 06/03/2012 6:49 PM

That is why I have the Optima2000 on my belt gun. It is the only optic that works in the lowest of light. I can see to shoot well after "legal" hours, although I don't hunt late. The early morning advantage is what I like.
Posted By: SBHunter81

Re: Fast-fire test - 06/03/2012 10:47 PM

Thanks for the test, I think it sealed the deal on getting my first red dot reflex sight for my sbhh.
Posted By: Boot

Re: Fast-fire test - 06/03/2012 11:17 PM

Yeah! Gonna hang a fastfire on mine soon.
Posted By: asquires2

Re: Fast-fire test - 06/03/2012 11:34 PM

Thx for the text results!
Posted By: kingfisher

Re: Fast-fire test - 06/04/2012 3:33 AM

I should have my opinion of the RMR by this time next week, Gary.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums