Handgunhunt

Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer

Posted By: johnnyG

Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/09/2012 4:56 PM

In the near future i would like to purchase a single shot handgun for whitetail and chucks, max range i would shoot is 250yd and thats only after a lot of practice until i felt comfortable. I am undecided on what to get i have a Dan Wesson 44mag but i will not scope it and i want to extend my range beyond 75yds. For ease of carrying i really do not want to go more than a 12in barrel, i'm thinking 30-30 to start but not sure. I will be reloading for what ever i end up with. What say you all?

Thanks

Johnny
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/09/2012 6:10 PM

Quote:
250yd

The 30-30 isn't quite up to that task, IMO. To kill a deer at 250 yards I would lean toward the 308 case family in 260 rem, 7-08, or 308. I shoot a 7-30 Waters, which is a 30-30 necked down and improved and 250 yards is at the most outer limits of its effectiveness. The 12" barrel is also a handicap as you lose a bunch of velocity going from 14-15 inches down to 12".
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/09/2012 7:07 PM

In a Contender?
Other action?

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/09/2012 9:45 PM

I was leaning on the Contender but not firm on it, keeping all options open. As far as shooting at 250yds i most likely will have shots much less than that but i want to be able to if the shot presents itself.
Posted By: KYODE

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/09/2012 10:21 PM

imo, the contender is the ideal choice for a deer gun! i would not change from it myself, even though the bolt guns and falling blocks etc are "stronger". the contender package serves me perfectly all around.

250yrds is really stretching the contender though, and most people actually...lol. it can defiately be done though. even the "lowly" 35 remington(normally know as a "brush gun") can do 200yrds with ease.

i'd go 14" myself. you already gotta practice anyway. the 14" contender is not bad to pack with a sling set up.

i'd look heavily into the 30-30 ackley improved for an efficient powerful cartridge with tolerable recoil. also SSK's chamberings such as the 309jdj, 6.5jdj etc would be great. at times there are trade offs in recoil, powder consumption, brass availability, and $ spent! etc. that make certain cartridges advantageous to people with particular desires.
bottom line....make yourself happy, and not play follow the leader. you may have to try out a few things to decide what you really want.

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/09/2012 10:51 PM

For what you are looking for, I agree with Kyode.
7x30 Waters would be another one.
Posted By: DeerDad

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 1:18 AM

If I did not have contenders already I would get a 308 in the encore with a burris 2x-7x scope. The 308 has been a proven accurate round for years. If I was going to use the contender I would use the 375 jdj, but I am partial to that. It does require reloading though.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 3:31 AM

I'd also look at Mike Bellms cartridges which are also the X444 except for the way he cuts chambers is superior. I'm currently trying to get up to speed to be able to do my chambers the way he does but it will be a bit yet. Mikes chambers will be perfect and in the 308 Bellm it will be a tack driver.
Posted By: WyoJoe

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 4:53 AM

An Encore is great but there is one question begging to be asked. What is your recoil tolerance? If you can handle the recoil I would say ditto on the .308 Win.

I do like the idea of a .270 WSM on an XP-100 though.
Posted By: Pasco

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 5:42 AM

Insted of "shooting" a deer at 250 yds., invest in some cammies, scent block and a face mask and "hunt" them down to a range where caliber isn't a issue.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 7:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Pasco
Insted of "shooting" a deer at 250 yds., invest in some cammies, scent block and a face mask and "hunt" them down to a range where caliber isn't a issue.

Good idea too! Although if your going Encore the options are endless with the 270 or 280 being two I really like. My 300 WM with the brake is a hammer down range but recoil is mild. I'm waiting on a Bullberry 7mm-08 I'm taking in on trade that will become a 7mm Rem Mag, mostly because I have several hundred rounds of brass and I like the 7mm for deer and antelope. I figure I should be able to get close to 3000fps with 140gr BT's and Accubonds. Other great options in the Encore would be the good ole' 30-06 or 25-06 but if deer is going to be the only thing on the menu the wait and balance of the Contender sure is nice.

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 10:10 AM

Well i do have a ton of 30-06 brass, hmmm much to think about thanks for all the ideas.
Posted By: Randominator

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 12:45 PM

If you are wanting to hunt with a Contender, I would suggest a 14" barrel chambered in 257 Raptor, 7-30 Waters, or 309 JDJ.
Posted By: tyler.woodard04

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 1:26 PM

Johnny I have a 15" encore in 7mm-08 that I have killed deer at over 250 with. if you want to try it some time let me know im in the waterloo/seneca falls area and have access to our 300 yard club range anytime
Posted By: Gary

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 3:13 PM

My personal favorite deer cartridge in a single shot is the 309 JDJ. It will shoot sub MOA and will reach to 300 with no troubles.

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 3:16 PM

Ditto!
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 4:59 PM

JMHO’s…

This comes from the standpoint that you are a reloader…

In the Contender, a 375 JDJ shooting a 225 Hornady Sp at 2200 has roughly 1000 lbs of energy at 350 yards with a 14in barrel, and is a hammer.

In the Encore, a 308 Win shooting a 150 NBT at 2600 has roughly 1000 lbs of energy at 460 yards, with a 15in barrel, and it is a LOT more pleasurable to shoot than the 375 JDJ…
Also, the 7mm08 is a fine round capable of launching a 140gr projectile at 2500fps and obtaining 1000 lbs at 420 yards, with a 15in barrel. After owning both, “I” would rather shoot the 308 for “my” needs. But we are all different…

All have factory barrels available and All have a history of being inherently accurate for handloaders.

I am just throwing out some numbers, so take them for what it is worth.

Ps, I don’t look at the stats of a round to determine how far I can push their limitations.
EG, a 7-30 Water can push a 140gr NBT at 2200 an acquire 1000 foot pounds at 250 yards. HOWEVER, I look at the states to give me an idea of what the cartridge is capable of. With what I have at my disposal, I would rather take my 308 Win or 338 Fed out if I had the opportunity to reach out to 250 yards. IMHO, my own shooting will limit my 308 shooting range far before it reaches its… LOL

Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 5:24 PM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u

Ditto!

Me too; although it is nice to be able to make that longer shot after making a brutal stalk and that is all the closer you can get...especially out West here.

I also like the .309 JDJ and killed a caribou, and several mulies and 'lopes with mine.
Posted By: SBHunter81

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 8:43 PM

Question, not to hijack the thread, but not worth starting another one.

Can someone comment on the difference between the contender and the encore pistol.

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 9:26 PM

In essence, the Encore is a beefed up Contender that can handle the high pressure cartridges safely like the 243 Win, 308 Win and even the Win mag and Rem Mag cartridges.
The Contender was not designed for the higher pressure cartridges, unless the head of your case is the 222 Rem., 223, 222 Rem mag, 17 Rem, etc. You can safely use these "high pressure" cartridges in the Contender, because their head is so small in diameter that you can run the higher pressures safely.
Simple definition, but hopefully it answers the question

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 9:28 PM

When I am in that mood, I just grab my bow.
Other than that a scoped revolver or a SP for me.
I enjoy each of the disciplines.

Posted By: SBHunter81

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 10:20 PM

Thank you greatly Ernie!

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 10:49 PM

Could anyone tell me how the recoil of the 30-06 compares to the .454 as that is the hottest handgun round i have fired.

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 10:58 PM

(Can't chamber a 30-06 in a Contender safely)
Perceived recoil is a subjective thing, but an 06 has less recoil than a 454 to me.
But even that is hard to compare, since I do not know what kind of platform you have shot a 454 or what bullet weight(s).
A 30-06 Encore is very doable for some without a muzzle brake, but some would prefer a good brake.
A good MB will turn the 06 into a puffcake in terms of perceived recoil.
Describe the 454 you have shot before.
E

Originally Posted By: johnnyG
Could anyone tell me how the recoil of the 30-06 compares to the .454 as that is the hottest handgun round i have fired.

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 11:09 PM

I had a Super Redhawk in 454 for a few years and it was very hard on the hands, i am thinking of the Encore for the 30-06.

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 11:22 PM

Do you reload?
First off, there is nothing wrong with the 06, but it is more than what you need for a 250 yard max deer rig.
But, IF the 06 is what you want-Get It!
The 280 Rem., which is also more than you need, but I would lean toward the 280 or even the 270 Win over the 30-06 simply because of less recoil with lighter bullets comparably and flatter trajectory with less wind drift to boot.
Not that big of am issue at 250 yards, but still an advantage nonetheless. Also, they both are more than competent if you begin to stretch your distances.

With increased powder capacity comes more recoil.
If you are recoil sensitive or think you might be be it can end up causing bad habits=Frustration and missed or wounded game.

A 7-08 or 308 is more than sufficient at these distances on deer sized game. Same with the 260 Rem or 6.5x47 Lapua
Call me recoil sensitive, but I like muzzle brakes.

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 11:29 PM

I was thinking of the 06 because i have a ton of cases and components to reload. I would also like a muzzle brake, why beat yourself up for nothing.

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/10/2012 11:48 PM

With that in mind, sounds like the ole 06 would be a good choice.
When the smith puts on your brake have him recrown your barrel.
Some factory crowns are not that good. If you get a less than great crown job from the factory, re-crowning will help in the accuracy department.
Holland's Radial is my favorite still. Any competent gunsmith other than Holland can put a brake on your barrel though.

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/11/2012 12:04 AM

I was thinking of the 06 because i have a ton of cases and components to reload. I would also like a muzzle brake, why beat yourself up for nothing.

The '06 will giterdun, but you might wanna consider a 15" barrel to get all the good out of that case. A 12" is easier to tote, but the velocity loss is considerable within those 3" you'd be giving up.

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/11/2012 1:47 AM

Ditto s4s4u!
I would not recommend a 12" 06 either.
15" works good.

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/11/2012 2:22 AM

I would def go with the 15" on the 06, how much coin am i looking at for a brake? I might have to do some horse trading behind the wardens back to get this done.
Posted By: KYODE

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/11/2012 2:24 AM

the encore is a great gun. i have 2(used to have 4). one is in 6br and the other 7mm-08. the 7-08 would do 250yrd deer. an excellent deer rig....BUT....100% of the time i carry a contender in deer season. it is just a very noticeable lighter/smaller package, which i like. i'm ok to 200yrds.
IF i were regularly doing 250yrds with the contender, i'd narrow my cartridge choices down some(309jdj mentioned earlier might be a top pick). several will do 200 just fine(imo). 35rem and 30-30AI are great for that.

the 30-06 will be a powerhouse. a muzzle brake is extremely loud. make sure you wear hearing protection at all times, even when hunting.
.308 would be another option that would allow you to use your 30 cal. components. you would only have to get brass. that should be an easy cure. i don't interchange brass between guns anyway....

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/11/2012 2:46 AM

I would contact Eric Wallace for a good brake on your Encore barrel: 406-925-3947
Really good brake (Solid Bottomed) and installation for a fair price. He has built several SP's for me and I have several of his brakes.
I would def go with the 15" on the 06, how much coin am i looking at for a brake? I might have to do some horse trading behind the wardens back to get this done.
Posted By: Gary

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/11/2012 3:52 AM

The original Contender also has a different trigger mechanism and cannot be recocked without opening the action whereas the G2 and Encore can be recocked.

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/11/2012 1:26 PM

Contender Left and Encore Right

The Contender in the picture is a really old frame with internal trigger adjustments. I actually sent it back to the factory for an easy open conversion and it came back looking brand new...

Encore Left and G2 Contender Right

Posted By: minnesotahunter

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/11/2012 5:45 PM

Lots of good info already. My personal favorite is the 7mm08.(have to go encore for that) It is the gun laying on my deer in the pic under my name. That deer was shot at 300yrds. It may be a good choice if you do want a short rig. I have seen several 7mm08 barrels for sale that were 12inches long. Makes me wonder if the 7 08 suffers less than others in a shorter barrel???

Also, the recoil is light enough that you might not have to brake it. Besides saving money, it would be better on the ears if you got caught with your pants down, and had to make a quick shot without your plugs in.
;\)

MN

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/11/2012 6:01 PM

Quote:
Makes me wonder if the 7 08 suffers less than others in a shorter barrel???

As a rule, the smaller the bore, the more significant the velocity loss per inch.
Posted By: racksmasher

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/11/2012 11:38 PM

Encores, 308, and 30-06, both unbraked, I use a Hornady 130 Gr.# 3020 bullet in both.
Posted By: ahandgunhunter

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/13/2012 12:09 AM

I shoot a 06 encore with 15in barrel unbreaked. never seen the need in it. plus dont overlook good grips either custom made or some that just feel good. couldnt hit worth a crap with factory encore grips,(to big for my hand) modified them to fit my hand made a world of difference
Posted By: bfr4570

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/13/2012 1:28 AM

I had a Lone Eagle in 30-06 with 12" barrel. There was more powder burned out of the barrel then in. Was not a very accurate pistol after 100 yds. Looked mean though foot long flame out of the barrel and brake and did I say LOUD.

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/13/2012 2:24 AM

I have narrowed it down to the Encore in 30-06 or .280 Remington, thank you every one for sharing your input and experience with various calibers.

Johnny

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/13/2012 2:26 AM

Originally Posted By: tyler.woodard04
Johnny I have a 15" encore in 7mm-08 that I have killed deer at over 250 with. if you want to try it some time let me know im in the waterloo/seneca falls area and have access to our 300 yard club range anytime

Thanks for your offer, i may take you up on it sometime later this summer when the over time at work slows down.

Johnny
Posted By: rbecker

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/13/2012 6:06 AM

JG I too am new handgun hunter. I bought an old model Contender with a 10 inch 30-30 barrel. I load for all my guns, rifle and pistols. Ive managed 1 shot kills on nearly all my game second shots are for insurance. I find shooting the contender in this cartridge about equivalent recoil wise to my 44mag Blackhawk hunter with heavy loads. I have to say that the scoped 44 takes more skill than I have to shoot the small groups that I have obtained with the contender. I shoot 110 grain Barnes TTSX over 34 grains of Reloader 7 powder and achieve 2250fps. That should kill a deer or varmint.
Posted By: campbellkids

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/18/2012 1:54 AM

Handgun hunting has some judgement calls to make. One of which would be not shooting a deer at 250 yards. I shoot a 30 Herrett and have shot everything else. I still love the Herrett. It does take some work to reload but that is half the fun of shooting. I like and use 10" barrels,because i believe anything longer should be a rifle.

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/18/2012 2:24 AM

Originally Posted By: campbellkids
Handgun hunting has some judgement calls to make. One of which would be not shooting a deer at 250 yards. I shoot a 30 Herrett and have shot everything else. I still love the Herrett. It does take some work to reload but that is half the fun of shooting. I like and use 10" barrels,because i believe anything longer should be a rifle.

All hunting has judgement calls, not just handgun hunting... but that fact that we care is an important part!

We have a wide verity of skill on this sight. There are a couple of users with rigs that are very much so capable of shooting deer sized game at 1000 yards +. The shooter is the biggest limitation more times than not... LOL I get laughed/poked for this mentality, but I really consider the Contender a "Max" 200 yard tool. There are custom cartridges that will push it, even out to 350, "I" just chose not to...

I agree on the 30 Herrett. I love mine and you are right it does have its limitations. HOWEVER, it fits a VERY nice nitch in my collection!! It is amazing that I have had all sorts of custom barrels in wiz bang cartridges and came back to the classic chamberings and the Herretts… ironic actually… What are you loading in yours?

Barrels, well, that is just personal preference... kind of like putting rifle scopes on pistol barrels... but YOU have to shoot what makes YOU happy!!!! I can't handle rifle scopes on short guns and I have tried. Humorously, I have just started enjoying 10in barrels. I have been sheltered...

Sorry, just lots of good comments on the post and wanted to comment.

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/18/2012 3:31 AM

Originally Posted By: TCTex.

The Contender in the picture is a really old frame with internal trigger adjustments. I actually sent it back to the factory for an easy open conversion and it came back looking brand new...

Encore Left and G2 Contender Right

Good photos and great effort there, Tex; I know how much work you probably went to for that post

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/18/2012 3:39 AM

The T/C Contender/.30 Herret combo is probably the reason for my entrance into handgun hunting those oh so many years ago. I treasured reading the articles by Bob Milek on his handgun hunting excursions, all the way from varmints to big game. As y'all know, he and Steve Herret developed the .30 Herret, and really it is Bob Milek who got me into the great world of handgun hunting. I still remember talking to him on the phone several times; he was great.

I used my Herret to take quite a few animals; varmints and antelope and deer; and I remember at that time it was a bit difficult to find a bullet that would work ok for big game in the Herret; about that time I believe it was Sierra that came out with the SSP Bullet? Single Shot Pistol bullet?

Help me out here, guys; my memory is not what it used to be.

\:\)

Bullet technology has come a long long ways since then and nowadays we are blessed with so many good bullets that work well for our pistols (and revolvers for that matter.)

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/18/2012 1:03 PM

Thanks Gregg!

When I original took those pictures, your assessment is right on... LOL

I now have them saved in a private album in my pictures on the Bragging Board

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/18/2012 1:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter
I used my Herret to take quite a few animals; varmints and antelope and deer; and I remember at that time it was a bit difficult to find a bullet that would work ok for big game in the Herret; about that time I believe it was Sierra that came out with the SSP Bullet? Single Shot Pistol bullet?

Bullet technology has come a long long ways since then and nowadays we are blessed with so many good bullets that work well for our pistols (and revolvers for that matter.)

Gregg, that is the reason I didn't even hesitate and started loading cast bullets for my Herrett. It is shooting a 120gr HCGC at 2200 fps into one ragged hole at 50 yards.

Ps, those heat treated bullets mushroom very well...

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/18/2012 2:36 PM

Quote:
Handgun hunting has some judgement calls to make. One of which would be not shooting a deer at 250 yards.

I can't disagree more. My self imposed limit is in the neighborhood as your's, but there are many hunters here and elsewhere that routinely take game as much longer distances than that. I prefer to get closer, but that is the joy of the hunt for me. I am in awe of the marksmanship of some of these pistoleros.
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 06/19/2012 8:43 PM

I bought a 30/06 Encore Pro-Hunter Five years ago, and it has become my go to gun. Amazingly accurate with a wide range of bullet weights. This caliber has been proved around the globe in a wide range of uses. Bacause of that, there are very few places in this world where you cannot find a box of 30/06 ammo. If you travel to hunt, that is an increasingly important factor. More than one hunter has arrived at his destination to find his/her ammo had disappeared from his luggage for whatever reason. Try borrowing some .30 Herrett or .309 JDJ cartridges from someone in camp! (No disrespect to either cartridge)
Posted By: campbellkids

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 09/09/2012 7:43 PM

I should have been reading these posts sooner. I love all the comments about the 30 Herrett. I too, loved reading Bob' s articles, etc. He really had an impact on handgun shooting. I load a 130 grain spitzer usually a Hornaday with H4227.
Posted By: archr610

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 09/09/2012 11:39 PM

What in Gods name is a "cammie" ?

Jeff
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 09/09/2012 11:42 PM

camo clothes are "cammies"
Posted By: archr610

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 09/10/2012 12:05 AM

OH, I was picturing some of you guys out in the woods in a camisole.
I just don't get why seemingly intelligent people find it necessary to bastardize the English language. If it's pure laziness, isn't camo easier to say then cammie ?
No I'm not an English major and I know this isn't the place for this and I apologize for that but I just couldn't let it go any more.
I do wear "camo" but not "hoodies". I have a .44 "magnum", not a "maggie".............and the list goes on.
Sorry for the rant. If I've offended anyone, oh well

Blessed Be,
Jeff

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 09/10/2012 12:28 PM

LOL I understand… The abbreviations while texting drive me up the walls.

I was wondering if the cammie reference was actually a military application. It would be like saying BDU’s or NWU’s today…

Just a thought.

Duane
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 09/10/2012 8:52 PM

Whats not to like about a 30-06 encore? Recoil even unported is manageable. Ammo anywhere. My handloads send 150gr Ballistic tips down range 2750fps and retain 1560ftlbs at 300 yards. Here you go........
Posted By: Darrell C

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 09/11/2012 1:56 AM

I love my 7/08
Posted By: Darrell C

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 09/11/2012 2:07 AM

I like the 7/08
Posted By: Jeff686

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 09/12/2012 4:30 PM

Originally Posted By: TCTex.
LOL I understand… The abbreviations while texting drive me up the walls.

I was wondering if the cammie reference was actually a military application. It would be like saying BDU’s or NWU’s today…

Just a thought.

Duane

Could be, my Marine buddy calls digital camo, "Digis" which means the Marine Corps calls them that.

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 09/12/2012 8:32 PM

Ya... LOL... I was stationed on a joint base, that isn't all they called them... Muwahahahah...

As for the topic, "what can you handle???????????????"

I think that is a quote from a PH to his client on an African hunt.
Posted By: ClayFHT

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 09/12/2012 8:42 PM

309 JDJ. 165-grain Nosler BT @ 2400fps.
Posted By: 7dawg9

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 09/13/2012 12:13 AM

T /C Contender Super 14 in 7-30 Waters.
Posted By: EricS

Re: Best single shot handgun & caliber for deer - 09/13/2012 1:17 AM

This post has been ressurected from earlier this summer. If someone asked me and they were set on the contender I would reccomend a custom 14 inch 30-30 barrel. You can buy factory loads and practice while building up your brass collection cheaper than fireforming other brass. If you ever get comfortable shooting 200 yds (which the 30-30 will do well with 125 nbt's)send the barrel to get rechambered in 309jdj. I am currently enjoying a 7mm-08 with a break that shoots about like heavy 44 special loads. Even with the break removed it isn't terrible just a little sharp.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums