Handgunhunt

Kinda wish I went w/a 4x

Posted By: silly goose

Kinda wish I went w/a 4x - 07/13/2012 1:24 AM

Weaver scope came today for my 45 SBHH. I went with a 2x based on searching many threads relating to the topic. I mounted it up today and brought her out in the yard for some dry firing off a bipod. I think it will do well, but I was kind of hoping for a bit more magnification. I have a dr's appt first thing tomorrow but should get to take her on the maiden voyage sometime tomorrow. I took my time and loaded up a nice box of 250gr xtp's to try her out with. Depending on how well I/we do, I may even post some pics.
\:\)
Posted By: Grendel

Re: Kinda wish I went w/a 4x - 07/13/2012 1:57 AM

I don't know, I like my 2x Leupold. I just can find the target faster, and it keeps me levelheaded on the distance.
;\)
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Kinda wish I went w/a 4x - 07/13/2012 1:57 AM

Quote:
Kinda wish I went w/a 4x

You are not the first to iterate that here. Give it a try before you give up on it. The lesser magnification will make it easier to acquire your target quickly, as you should be able to use both eyes open at that lower power without any difficulty.

Re: Kinda wish I went w/a 4x - 07/13/2012 2:03 AM

Yeah, I think your both right. I don't really think its going to be a problem. It is clear, and you can pick up the target fairly quickly. I've been dry firing with open sights up until now. I was surprised how quickly the gun started to feel good tonight during dry fire practice with the scope. I don't think I'll be very good with it offhand, she's pretty heavy, but with the bipod rest, she gets real steady. I'll give her a couple workouts and report back, I'm thinking I'll be surprised. I am real happy just lookin at her, she is pretty.
\:\)
Posted By: Randominator

Re: Kinda wish I went w/a 4x - 07/13/2012 2:13 AM

I like a 4x scope over a 2x. I think the extra magnification helps me. I do have an older 3x Burris that I would never part with. It has been mounted on a Ruger SBH for 22 years and has taken several whitetail deer.
Posted By: zac0419

Re: Kinda wish I went w/a 4x - 07/13/2012 3:23 AM

I have bought, played with, and sold a Ultradot, 2x, and a 4x for a Redhawk. In the end I didn't shoot any of them any better than my Bisley 45 with irons. I think it was my relationship with the gun and not the optics. Good news is buying used off ebay lets you try it out then sell the one you don't want for nearly the same price if you don't like it.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Kinda wish I went w/a 4x - 07/13/2012 3:29 AM

I just had my 2x Weaver repaired and installed it on my 454. I like the 2x's fine out to 100yds or so.
Posted By: KYODE

Re: Kinda wish I went w/a 4x - 07/13/2012 3:52 PM

if i was target shooting out to 100 with my 44's, i could get used to having a 4x or variable. i like my 2x burris's for my hunting revolvers.
i've used my variables on my single shots adjusted to 2x out to 100+++++ several times if i did not have/take time to adjust higher. probably whatever you get used to. practice n try it out.
Posted By: HoggHunter

Re: Kinda wish I went w/a 4x - 07/14/2012 12:27 AM

I have a couple of variables, but they are always left at 2x for starters, and that's usually where they are at the end of the day.

Re: Kinda wish I went w/a 4x - 07/14/2012 1:25 AM

I didn't get a chance to get out today, maybe Sunday. I'll report back when I get a chance for sure.
Posted By: 430man

Re: Kinda wish I went w/a 4x - 07/14/2012 1:42 PM

I deer hunt and even 2X can be too much because I shoot off hand mostly. Seeing your shakes can ruin shooting.
Then there is light to your eye and you need a lot more daylight with a scope and even more as power is increased. To experience not seeing a deer or the cross hairs in dim light will change you real fast.
Anything goes from a rest in full day light but that is not the case in the field.
The very best scope for hunting is 1X and better is an Ultra Dot.
You need to understand exit pupil light loss from long eye relief scopes. A pistol scope is the original BLACK HOLE!
Can you shoot good with a large dot? Yes, no difference between it and a high powered scope unless you shoot at pills at 50 yards.
Here are 5 shots at 100 yards through the top hole in this can with a revolver and an Ultra Dot.
Believe me, unless you shoot long range from a solid rest in full daylight you do not want a scope over 2X.
Posted By: blondie1520

Re: Kinda wish I went w/a 4x - 07/18/2012 3:50 PM

Someone should start making scopes designed just fr pistols, like a 1-6x and more compact. The tech is out there, look at cell phones and tons of other stuff, just need the demand.
Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Re: Kinda wish I went w/a 4x - 07/18/2012 4:03 PM

Blondie,

I will go you one better ;^) How about a true 1-4 with illuminated reticle. It has taken the Tactical market a lot of years to finally come around to this, and they have major market share to drive the design. The 6x and 7x are still pretty new, so methinks we are a long way off before we would have any selection.

Craig
Posted By: blondie1520

Re: Kinda wish I went w/a 4x - 07/19/2012 4:17 PM

Had a scope on my SRH.44 when i purchased it, but blackout,shakes,and to much time to find the critter made it go away and it was replaced with a Burris FastFire II. Still not as good as opensights and 25 year old vision, handguns were alot more accurate back then!!! NMBH .357 is going to stay open sights just because, i can still see. I'm legally blind in my left eye but the right is better than average, went to a 3D movie once and 15 minutes into the show the 3D glasses came off, LOL.
Posted By: Roger308

Re: Kinda wish I went w/a 4x - 07/30/2012 6:26 AM

big fan of leupold fixed 4x on my .500

Re: Kinda wish I went w/a 4x - 07/30/2012 3:33 PM

OK, just got out with her today. I like it. Got her sighted in rather quickly. She's pretty much dead on at 75. This is my first time shooting this setup, and I'm getting 3-4 groups at 75 yards. I took 6 shots at 100 with a deer target and put 6 rounds in the lungs, again with about a 6" group at that distance. I like playing at those distances, but to be honest, I've only ever killed one deer past 60 yards, with the majority being within 30. So, I'm very happy with this setup. 2x will be fine, and certainly keep me within the range of the .45. I'll need more range time and load development. All of todays shooting was from a rest, once I have my load figured out, I'll shoot from hunting positions. I have to admit it, the 2x is fine. I like it. Thanks fella's.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums