Handgunhunt

Group Hog Hunt

Posted By: Whitworth

Group Hog Hunt - 09/03/2012 4:03 PM

Okay, gentlemen. Please reply here if you intend on participating in a January group hog hunt. Thank you!
Posted By: Seasons44

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/03/2012 5:37 PM

All in!
Posted By: Boot

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/03/2012 5:38 PM

I'd like to go. But cant make all 3 days due to work schedule. I would be arriving fri afternoon, instead of Thursday.
Posted By: kingfisher

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/03/2012 5:41 PM

Kingfisher is in the fold!
Posted By: SBHunter81

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/04/2012 12:00 AM

If it's the weekend of the 11th or 18th, I am 98% (just have to ask off once we know which specific weekend).

Also, my offer stands that I am willing to pick anyone up on the way.

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/04/2012 12:29 AM

I will talk to the outfitter in the morning and post up the available dates to help y'all decide.
Posted By: 480rugah

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/04/2012 1:44 AM

where is this hunt being held?...Sorry if this has already been discussed.
jim
Posted By: bfr4570

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/04/2012 1:47 AM

Let me see dates. If I can get time off.

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/04/2012 1:53 AM

Originally Posted By: 480rugah
where is this hunt being held?...Sorry if this has already been discussed.
jim

Hog Heaven Outfitters in North Carolina. You can find them on the web if you google it.

You will also find a lengthy thread on this topic. Last post was a day or two ago. In that it will have plenty of photos...but will require a good chunk of time to read through.
Posted By: Night Stalker

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/05/2012 4:05 AM

Id really like to but dont think it will happen this year, to busy with new job and no vacation time yet. Have fun
Posted By: Mikewin

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/05/2012 8:27 AM

Whit,

timing is essential. The later in January the better for me. Late January could be possible, and I would love to do it.

BTW: on night hunting and the special lamps/flashlights you use; are there any mounts on them (or can be used with them) that can attach to a picatinny rail? My gun has a nice picatinny under the barrel. The lamp needs to clear the muzzle though.
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/05/2012 11:55 AM

Mr. Mike, I am sure you already are aware of this, I just wanted to throw it out there. The added weight of the light is probably going to change the POI of hunting rig. I have been debating on setting up a light on “a” rig but have hesitated for that reason.

I know the change could be minimal, I have just noticed my TC setups changing POI when I put a new custom set of wood on them. FWIW

Duane

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/05/2012 1:09 PM

They are designed to clamp on to a barrel or an existing optic. I have used them fairly extensively now and have not had any issues with POI change as a result of the added weight. I try to shoot the same way as I always do with regards to grip tension. Clamp it on and go, not an issue.....

I will try to post up tentative dates later this morning.

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/08/2012 1:34 AM

Any update on the weekend? Those boar photos from the other site got me fired up :-)

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/08/2012 11:09 AM

Should have some dates to post today.....
Posted By: Boot

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/11/2012 9:30 AM

Any news yet?

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/11/2012 11:18 AM

I keep playing phone tag with the outfitter. I will get this information up today, come hell or high water. Standby.

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/11/2012 3:03 PM

Okay -- I finally got ahold of him and the available weekend is the 10th -- 12th of January.

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/11/2012 5:22 PM

Alright, So now we just need a head count! Who's in.....Besides me of course

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/11/2012 5:50 PM

I will make sure and get back to you.

What time would we be arriving on Thursday?

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/11/2012 6:13 PM

The afternoon is fine as you will be hunting in the late afternoon and through the evening.
Posted By: Mikewin

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/11/2012 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
Okay -- I finally got ahold of him and the available weekend is the 10th -- 12th of January.

Darn! That week I'm in Lithuania. Job conference, got a personal invite from their foreign minister. Can't skip it even if I wanted too...

Let me know, Whit, if your outfitter has some openings during the early spring as well. I will be stateside in March or April most likely. As well as in mid-November this year.

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/12/2012 1:00 AM

I was hoping he had a later slot in the month of January, but it just wasn't the case. I will find out about the spring. In any case, we can add ourselves on to any group hunt that is already booked, I would think.

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/12/2012 2:39 AM

Whit is there a required number to make this happen?
Posted By: pamlicomike

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/17/2012 4:43 AM

Replying in both threads. Count me in please. It'll be like a homecoming. I was born and raised in Johnston county.

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/17/2012 10:53 AM

I will hopefully have some more details this afternoon.

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/21/2012 6:50 PM

Gentlemen, if you intend on attending/participating in the group hog hunt in January, please PM me so that I can give you some details and instructions. Going through this thread, I count the following that plan to attend:

-Seasons44
-Boot
-Kingfisher
-SBhunter
-Pamlicomike

Am I missing anyone?

Oh, and Franchise, if you can't hunt this time around, would you at the very least come down so that we could meet and perhaps break bread?

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/21/2012 10:58 PM

BTT
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/21/2012 11:15 PM

You forgot me Whit...so disappointed.
;\)

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/22/2012 1:07 AM

SORRY!!!!!!!!

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/22/2012 10:50 AM

Don't leave SC out. We are going to have the Battle of the New XPs that weekend. Lookout hawgs!

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/23/2012 12:41 AM

This should be a great time, looking forward to it!
Posted By: S.B.

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/23/2012 6:01 PM

Original post doesn't mention when, where or if all are invited or private party? Know i'm late now but, may have been interesting?
Steve

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/24/2012 1:21 PM

Originally Posted By: S.B.
Original post doesn't mention when, where or if all are invited or private party? Know i'm late now but, may have been interesting?
Steve

Sorry, Steve! There was another thread about this, and this one was the follow-up.

We are hunting in January (10, 11, 12th I believe) in Johnston County, North Carolina at Hog Heaven Outfitters. It's a 3-day (actually hunting at night exclusively -- well, you'll go out on a stand in the late afternoon), and hunting lights will be provided by the outfitter. The cost is $700.00 per person, which includes food and lodging. This cost allows you to kill up to two hogs, but there are no guarantees as it is a free-ranging hunt on 2,000 acres. Everyone here is welcome!

Gentlemen, if you plan to attend, please contact me via PM. Thank you!

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/25/2012 4:24 PM

Gentlemen, if you plan on coming, please contact me at your earliest convenience.
Posted By: ssphunter

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/25/2012 7:52 PM

I'm planing on trying to make it but can't confirm just yet. If this is all night hunting what shooting distances are we talking?
Mike

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/25/2012 8:09 PM

Originally Posted By: ssphunter
I'm planing on trying to make it but can't confirm just yet. If this is all night hunting what shooting distances are we talking?
Mike

200 to 300 yards........

Just kidding! Being that it will be in January, and the middle of winter, there is a good chance that you shoot a hog with daylight to spare. That said, I have shot them there as late as 2:00 in the morning, and the lights we use are quite effective even out to 100 yards (with a handgun). Typically, your shot could be anywhere from 20 to 60 yards. They will put you where you are most comfortable.

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/25/2012 9:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
Mike

200 to 300 yards........

Just kidding! Being that it will be in January, and the middle of winter, there is a good chance that you shoot a hog with daylight to spare. That said, I have shot them there as late as 2:00 in the morning, and the lights we use are quite effective even out to 100 yards (with a handgun). Typically, your shot could be anywhere from 20 to 60 yards. They will put you where you are most comfortable.

I guess I will just bring the .44 and leave the other boys at home.....
NOT

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/25/2012 11:54 PM

I was looking at the testimonials on the hog heaven website...man this is going to be great.

Not sure if i mentioned this in the forum but I am hoping to bring along a camera man to do some filming. I figure we need every missed hog documented :-)

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/26/2012 7:28 AM

Well don't film me. I have a face AND body made for radio--not camera and TV....:)

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/26/2012 3:36 PM

Hmm. 20 to 60 yards. 7mm.TCU too small
S/W M29 .44 mag No scope
30/30 14" Contender never fired it yet
375 JDJ Too Big

Damm, I might have to buy another barrel for my Contender if I make it.

Mike

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/26/2012 5:31 PM

Hmm. 20 to 60 yards. 7mm.TCU too small
S/W M29 .44 mag No scope
30/30 14" Contender never fired it yet
375 JDJ Too Big

Damm, I might have to buy another barrel for my Contender if I make it.

Mike

Too big???????? I've used my .416 Remmie out there!
But you are right, might have to buy another -- LOL!

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/26/2012 11:06 PM

Maybe this isn't the place for this...was thinking we maybe should have a specific thread to go over the details...Is there a meeting time Thursday or are we just showing up and getting in stand (I think "in stand" is one of my favorite phrases)?

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/27/2012 4:21 PM

I am all in guys and look foward to January!

SB, I will be down there late morning to early afternoon on thursday, My Recomendation is get through DC early if you take 95, It can be a royal pain in the ass.

When I went down I got settled and took a few shots at the range and relaxed, got into the woods around 330 or so,

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/27/2012 5:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Seasons44
I am all in guys and look foward to January!

SB, I will be down there late morning to early afternoon on thursday, My Recomendation is get through DC early if you take 95, It can be a royal pain in the ass.

When I went down I got settled and took a few shots at the range and relaxed, got into the woods around 330 or so,

That is my plan and suggestion as well. I like to get there early enough to unpack my stuff without being rushed, maybe check zero, get my gear ready, etc.

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/27/2012 6:26 PM

Sounds great, I am trying to plan how long it will take and when I will have to leave.

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/27/2012 6:52 PM

From where I am in NJ, 8 hours or so, Depends on how you drive,I am not the best person to go by, I done coast to coast in 3 days,

I recomend be through DC before 6 am after that you are more than likley going to hit traffic,

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/27/2012 7:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Seasons44
I done coast to coast in 3 days,

Not in my truck!

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/27/2012 7:37 PM

Who Needs a Truck!

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/27/2012 10:54 PM

I'll let you follow me around the property if you would like to know who needs a truck! LOL!

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/28/2012 12:45 AM

We be busy getting my car out of the ruts...lol

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/28/2012 1:34 AM

haha I would be mostly interested to see that thing filled to the brim with wild boar!

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/28/2012 1:41 AM

Originally Posted By: SBHunter81
haha I would be mostly interested to see that thing filled to the brim with wild boar!

In truth, so would I!

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 09/28/2012 2:43 AM

Lol, Honestly the best thing I did coming back from Hog Heaven was I brought a Food Saver, The vacum Packing Machine, And kept the pigs quatered on ice, vacumed packed. Took a little bit of time but is was fast with two people.

I will be doing this again, so if anybody is tight on space or cooler space this helps. Will help do it for anybody who needs it

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 10/07/2012 4:27 PM

Here's a dumb question. What do these pigs taste like. Although I've always wanted to hunt them, I havnt a clue as to what they would taste like.Anything like regular pork???
Posted By: KRal

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 10/07/2012 6:41 PM

....Anything like regular pork???

Yes, but better!

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 10/08/2012 1:09 PM

Any word on when the deposit is due?

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 10/24/2012 2:59 AM

Good day
A friend of mine shot a boar yesterday with a rifle but after seeing that plating them things have on their shoulders I got thinking my JDJ might be the ticket on these pigs. WOW was all I could say. What are the calibers you guys are using? I was considering my 375JDJ and 30-30.
Another questions to those that have been there. Anything for my girlfriend to do while I'm hunting?Assuming we can make it . Although she likes hunting a bit she has no desire to shoot a hog.
Mike
Posted By: pamlicomike

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 10/24/2012 3:13 PM

Probally going to use one of my contenders in 45-70 or 30-30.
Posted By: Zack

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 10/24/2012 4:00 PM

Id love to go, if funding works out I will try and attend

I am hoping to move to NC in the next year so even if I miss this one I'd be down to do something similar in the future

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 10/27/2012 2:34 PM

What kind of loads would you be using in the 30/30 for these hogs?
I've never loaded for mine, come to think of it I've only put a few factory loads down the barrel to try it. Other than that I've never used it. I've always used my 375JDJ.
Mike

Originally Posted By: pamlicomike
Probally going to use one of my contenders in 45-70 or 30-30.

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 10/27/2012 3:11 PM

Originally Posted By: SBHunter81
Any word on when the deposit is due?

Sorry so delinquent. The deposit is due sooner rather than later. I confirmed the dates yesterday, and we need to lock it in with a deposit. Mine went out yesterday.

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 10/27/2012 3:13 PM

Another questions to those that have been there. Anything for my girlfriend to do while I'm hunting?Assuming we can make it . Although she likes hunting a bit she has no desire to shoot a hog.
Mike

If it was in the early summer or spring, there would be more to do. Being that it will be January, it will be pretty cold. If you don't want to sour her to the whole experience, I would taker at a nicer time of year. JMHO.

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 11/01/2012 2:24 AM

Whit, is it too late for anyone else to come along?

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 11/01/2012 10:33 AM

Not to late!

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 11/03/2012 6:53 PM

Gentlemen, we need to get our deposits out as soon as possible. As a courtesy to me he is holding that weekend for us, but we need to send him some money. Thank you!

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 11/03/2012 11:44 PM

What is the preferred way of making the deposit and do we need to designate what weekend it is for?

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 11/04/2012 3:03 PM

You can send him a check -- just tell 'em it's for the group handgun hunt in January. You can mention me as well.

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 11/04/2012 4:13 PM

Thanks but Cold isn't the issue here because we sit in -25c temps here waiting for deer.
She just has no desire to hunt hogs and was wondering what else she could do.
Mike

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 11/04/2012 5:18 PM

Thanks but Cold isn't the issue here because we sit in -25c temps here waiting for deer.
She just has no desire to hunt hogs and was wondering what else she could do.
Mike

It's an issue because the cabin isn't insulated. It's that moist cold that I personally find to be worse than having snow on the ground. Not trying discourage her.

Re: Group Hog Hunt - 11/07/2012 2:31 AM

No power will make you do crazy things, Night shooting with a pellet revolver and the Assassanator Hunting Light, great practice for January!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums