Handgunhunt

'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !!

Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/01/2012 11:40 AM

My wife in her wisdom bought me a B&N Nook for Father's Day this past June after I had been in Afghanistan for about a month. I think she saw the number of books and magazines I had packed and took pity on me.

I bought a number of books on hunting and shooting, some historical accounts of events. The usual military guy/hunter/shooter selections.

And finally I purchased Max Prasac's 'Big Bore Revolvers' . You talk about a great read in all aspects. If you guys haven't picked up a copy , I can't encourage it enough. Great read in every aspect . I also appreciate the members of this site that I believe contributed to it.

Thanks Max and all the rest ! You have definitly given me a great resource to refer back to over the months I have left in country and presented many wonderful ideas to put in play once I return home.

Thanks again and happy hunting !!

Aaron
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/01/2012 12:32 PM

Thank you very much for the kind words, Aaron! I am pleased to hear that you have found the book enjoyable and inspriational. It makes the entire process worthwhile to hear that it has affected people in a positive manner. Thank you, again!

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/01/2012 12:46 PM

Absolutely ! Well deserved accolades I should say... I love how you broke down how a big bore does "it's job" that is to say derives it's lethality . Like many that are avid readers and arm-chair researchers , we've often heard about the claims of how inefficient revolvers are when compared to rifles with the ballistics to back it up. But then that's where the discussion ends. So even when you point out huge game taken with a revolver , invariably someone will claim it as a stunt.

Obviously, not so. So again... great read.
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/01/2012 3:38 PM

Howdy and Welcome Aboard Aaron!!

Whit's book is like looking at a "Sears Catalog." ... LOL

I am still trying to digest the vast amount of information it contains.
Posted By: Zack

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/01/2012 4:19 PM

ill be picking this up in the next week or so, sounds like a fun read!

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/01/2012 4:26 PM

Thanks , TCTEX ! Appreciate it.

You won't be sorry in the least, Zack. Great manual.
Posted By: AmmoHouse

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/01/2012 6:55 PM

Been meaning to buy this book.
Can somebody post the link again?
If its not allowed, please PM me.
Today is my last day in the Military.
Actually, my official date is a little while from now...just released from duty today.
I'm Retiring after 24yrs so I guess I'll have more time to read and shoot now.

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/01/2012 6:58 PM

Here you go:

http://www.gundigeststore.com/big-bore-revolvers

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/01/2012 7:00 PM

Thanks Whit!
Posted By: KRal

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/01/2012 7:07 PM

Originally Posted By: AmmoHouse
Been meaning to buy this book.
Can somebody post the link again?
If its not allowed, please PM me.
Today is my last day in the Military.
Acutally, my official date is a little while from now...just released from duty today.
I'm Retiring after 24yrs so I guess I'll have more time to read and shoot now.

I'd let you have my copy, but Whitworth autographed it to me; so, I guess I better keep it....
;\)
\:D

It is a good read, I recommend it!
Posted By: jwp475

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/01/2012 7:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Aaron Proffitt
Absolutely ! Well deserved accolades I should say... I love how you broke down how a big bore does "it's job" that is to say derives it's lethality . Like many that are avid readers and arm-chair researchers , we've often heard about the claims of how inefficient revolvers are when compared to rifles with the ballistics to back it up. But then that's where the discussion ends. So even when you point out huge game taken with a revolver , invariably someone will claim it as a stunt.
Obviously, not so. So again... great read.

I agree Max did an excellent job with the book.

To put a handguns lethality into proper perspective all one needs to do is to look at "force".1 Newtons force is 1 kg at 1 meter per second

A 180 grain 30 caliber bullet at 3100 FPS produces 11.02 Newtons force

a 420 grain from a 475L at 1400 FPS produces 11.24 Newtons force

Clearly the big bore doesn't take a back seat to the rifle
Posted By: Pasco

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/01/2012 11:30 PM

I just wish I had the knowlege that I learned from Max's book before I had gone on my safari.
Posted By: SBHunter81

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/02/2012 12:46 AM

Why's that Pasco?

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/02/2012 1:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Pasco
I just wish I had the knowlege that I learned from Max's book before I had gone on my safari.

Don't be silly Pasco -- you've done more than well on your own and need no help from me!
Posted By: Gary

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/02/2012 2:27 AM

While we're on the topic of big bore guns, I have acquired the photographs and recovered bullets from The first Linebaugh seminar. As soon as I can get them scanned in I'll make an album. Kind of cool and I wish I had known about them when the book was being written.
Posted By: jwp475

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/02/2012 3:21 AM

That would have oustanding for them to have made the book. The album will be outstanding for sure. Do you also have the penetration results from the first seminar.
Posted By: cottonstalk

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/02/2012 3:30 AM

First thank you for your service Aaron and welcome to the site.It is a good book,informative and the pictures are amazing.I have read it twice and look at the photos a couple times a week.

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/02/2012 12:16 PM

Thanks,cottonstalk.

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/03/2012 12:00 AM

Now I can't wait to get the book!

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/03/2012 9:21 PM

Originally Posted By: jwp475

That would have oustanding for them to have made the book. The album will be outstanding for sure. Do you also have the penetration results from the first seminar.

I'm working on it. I got the stuff from the range owner where the seminar was held and he has the results but finding it is a bit more involved.
Posted By: johnwilliams

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/07/2012 3:48 PM

I'd be really interested in seeing the results also-john
Posted By: tradmark

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/07/2012 9:21 PM

that would be pretty cool.
Posted By: HoggHunter

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/16/2012 12:54 AM

Thanx Whit! had a minor nonsurgical "procedure" done over the course of the last couple of days, so I downloaded a copy to my Kindle. An excellent book, it's utterly amazing the way that this sport has evolved in the last few years, and even more amazing to be in the company of so many people important to its development right here an this forum. Thanz whit for a great read.
Posted By: dc74

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/16/2012 1:09 AM

have to check this out whit...
Posted By: Midwesthunter11

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/16/2012 8:24 PM

I got this a book a week ago and I Would like to thank the author for writing a book just on big bore revolvers! Great information taking a lot of foot work out for the beginner thank you so much. Also it would be great to see a dvd on the topic I know i Would buy that And I am shure lots of others would too!
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/17/2012 3:43 AM

I just got my autographed copy from Whit!
Posted By: 358429

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/21/2012 4:29 PM

I am probably one of the older member here, I grew up reading articles by Elmer Keith in the gun magazines, and read every book he wrote. That and my fathers interest in handguns is what probably got me interested in hand gun hunting. I am looking forward to reading "Big Bore Revolvers"

I am sure most folks here are familiar with the Taylor formula, but for those that are not here is a link.. http://www.handloads.com/calc/quick.asp

This is in my opinion a pretty good measure of load efficiency.

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/21/2012 5:11 PM

The same thing is available here and an energy calc too.
http://www.handgunhunt.com/MembersOnly.php#calculators
Posted By: 358429

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/21/2012 9:38 PM

Gary

The ability to plug in the values for the loads you are using in your hand gun and then to be able to compare that with popular hunting rifle loads, gives one a pretty clear picture that hunting with big bore hand guns is as effective as the popular rifle calibers.
Posted By: Zack

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/27/2012 9:59 PM

Got this given to me as a gift a few days ago, really an amazing book!

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/28/2012 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Zack
Got this given to me as a gift a few days ago, really an amazing book!

Thank you, Zack!
Posted By: grey owl

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/29/2012 1:13 AM

Just ordered my copy of Big Bore Revolvers. Cant wait till it gets here.

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/29/2012 1:46 AM

Originally Posted By: grey owl
Just ordered my copy of Big Bore Revolvers. Cant wait till it gets here.

Thank you sir!
Posted By: Plagioclase

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/29/2012 12:08 PM

I've finished reading mine - a very good read and well done. Bought a BFR in 475 L as a result.

Whitworth - whats up next for a sequel? A book of handgun hunting stories with hunts chronicled by the day may be interesting - something on the order of Fred Bear's field notes. Maybe you and JWP could document your adventures with big bores - that would be highly entertaining!

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/29/2012 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Plagioclase
I've finished reading mine - a very good read and well done. Bought a BFR in 475 L as a result.

Whitworth - whats up next for a sequel? A book of handgun hunting stories with hunts chronicled by the day may be interesting - something on the order of Fred Bear's field notes. Maybe you and JWP could document your adventures with big bores - that would be highly entertaining!

That would be crazy great !!

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/29/2012 12:17 PM

Where do I send the check?
;\)

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/29/2012 12:20 PM

Yeah...like 'The Big Book of Handgun Hunting' . A chapter in their from Ernie on how to engage prarie dogs at light year distances and on and so on ...

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/29/2012 12:26 PM

Oddly enough, when I pitched the book idea to the publisher, it was a handgun hunting book that I envisioned. They wanted a book on revolvers -- so we compromised and I got to inject as much handgun hunting that I could. A Ruger revolver book is in the works. I think next year I will pitch a strictly handgun hunting book, and when I do, I will tap heavily into all of your experiences.

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/29/2012 12:29 PM

YEAH !!!

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/29/2012 12:36 PM

Took the dog for a walk and thought more about a handgun story book.

What if 10-12 folks dedicated a hunt to hunting with a handgun, chronicled every day with narrative and pics. The stories are all wordsmithed/edited and made into a book. Could also have a few guys document their yearly deer/hog hunts in similar fashion. Book could be called A Year in the Life of a Handgun Hunter or something.

I have a 5 day elk hunt next year and will have an either sex tag. I've never had a year when I didn't get within 50 yards of cows. I could carry the Contender for long shots and revolver for anything else. Hmmmm....
Posted By: racksmasher

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 11/30/2012 12:15 AM

I"m reading the book now, and I think it"s awesome,I have 2 of Elmer"s books, Sixguns and Hell I was there, this book will be on the shelf right with them, thanks.
Posted By: S.B.

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 12/04/2012 2:03 AM

Max, I was glad to see American Hunter ran a plug on your book this month. Good to see. I've written them many times asking them to run more handgun articles, to no avail but, the editor I contacted said he was a handgun hunter?
Steve

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 12/04/2012 3:04 AM

Thanks, Steve. The editors at American Hunter are open to handgun hunting and have been embracing it more over the last couple of years. They have run two or three of my articles over the last year on handgun hunting and there is more coming. It's a step in the right direction as far as I am concerned.
Posted By: grey owl

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 12/09/2012 6:26 PM

Just received my copy yesterday and started reading it this morning....and can tell already I need to order another copy cause I'm gonna wear this one out. Man I cant put it down. What an awesome Book!

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 12/09/2012 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: grey owl
Just received my copy yesterday and started reading it this morning....and can tell already I need to order another copy cause I'm gonna wear this one out. Man I cant put it down. What an awesome Book!

Thank you for the very kind words! Glad you are enjoying it!
Posted By: Ryan 500L

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 12/09/2012 11:35 PM

I've got to get a copy of that, I've been hearing it's really good.I've let all my magazine sub's run out because I'm sick of reading about ar's and 1911's every month!

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 12/10/2012 3:08 PM

No kidding .
Posted By: DAHLTAILS

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 12/22/2012 6:17 PM

AWESOME BOOK! Great job Whitworth. Great info that I will use in my future handgun hunts. Be aware it will make your wish list for big bore revolvers get longer.

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 12/22/2012 6:46 PM

Thank you!
Posted By: mkf350

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 12/23/2012 3:53 AM

Just wanted to say I downloaded this from amazon and thoroughly enjoyed it!
Posted By: WiseGuy

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 12/23/2012 4:22 AM

I just ordered a copy. Ill be watching the mailbox for the next several days.
Posted By: DOAGuide

Re: 'Big Bore Revolvers' ... fantastic read !! - 12/23/2012 5:21 AM

I just downloaded it to my Kindle and am reading it now.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums