Handgunhunt

Are you fooling yourselves

Posted By: SBHunter81

Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 1:06 AM

Found this quote in a cabelas forum...thought you guys might have fun with this!

"A handgun is a handgun! These guys that are taking big and dangerous game with the now tremendous calibers which we have are fooling themselves! Handguns of any cliber are short range weapons! Even the 500, the 454, and the 460 are all short range weapons.
The Contenders, and the "such like" are not really "handguns" - they are an insult to a real handgunner! The 44 magnum is adequate for any handgunning - I have a 454 and hardly ever use it - I've fired the 500 and wasn't too impressed with it.
50 yards is the farthest range ANY game should be shot with any hndgun - all other "stories" are just that - storys!"
Harry B.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 1:26 AM

Tell Harry to "zip it"...and we'll have to agree to disagree!
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 1:29 AM

wow... 50 yards?

hhmmmm
Posted By: archr610

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 1:44 AM

Sigh, all that 100yd practice for nothin'
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 1:58 AM

maybe Harry would like to stand out at 200yds while I shoot at him with my big bores, after all if he's right I can't hit him and if I do it will just bounce off and fall to the ground.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 5:11 AM

I kinda feel sorry for ol' Harry, especially if you guys go after him!

Posted By: Ernie

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 6:23 AM

Are you encouraging us to Gregg?
\:\)
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 6:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Ernie
Are you encouraging us to Gregg?

No.

Posted By: Grendel

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 10:35 AM

Wow, sounds like someone fell off the turnip truck a little too hard. Even though this is only my 3rd season of big game handgun hunting, I know that with a good rest my Bisley Hunter & I could harvest deer at a 100 yards.
Posted By: SBHunter81

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 11:57 AM

haha i thought these responses would be entertaining.

I think harry is just envious of us fools!
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 12:13 PM

Harry is an idiot.
Posted By: Boot

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 12:19 PM

I'm glad I'm still a noob at handgun hunting, and not an expert like ol' harry. That 9 pt buck I took last week at 80 yds woulda got away, if I had known earlier that all my practice past 50 yds was just a waste of time.
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 1:10 PM

Check the classifed ads............

FOR SALE: All my handguns that ARE NOT .44 MAGNUMS....since Harry says that's all I need.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 1:41 PM

460 can't do more than 50 yards....

THEMS FIGHTN WORDS!!!

Harry, you have NO IDEA what you're missin out on. But that's okay. You probably limit your rifle to 75 yards too.

Obviously your shooting skills SUCK!!!!
Posted By: sc1911cwp

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 2:04 PM

I just knew it. All you guys are making your videos at the same studio the moon landing was filmed.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 2:06 PM

.....and if I had a dollar for every time I was told "you can't kill a deer with a handgun".
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 2:59 PM

I really hate it when some people impose their limitations on others......
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 3:08 PM

I just registered
;\)

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 3:21 PM

Anyone have a link to the thread??

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 4:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan B.
Check the classifed ads............

FOR SALE: All my handguns that ARE NOT .44 MAGNUMS....since Harry says that's all I need.

now you know why I'm selling my 458 Lott Barrel, it's a disgrace to real handgunners and it wouldn't kill anything anyhow. Hey Whit I think you need to grab your 50AK and I'll bring the Lott and we'll take Harry shooting
Posted By: ssphunter

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 4:08 PM

I have a good friend that kinda thinks like that. He says my handguns are not really handguns because they are rifle cartriges?????????????????????? LOL
Posted By: paul0

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 4:15 PM

Well we all know that EVERYTHING that is said from or near the word CABELAS is the most accurate info ever stated...
Posted By: Larry in SD

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 4:25 PM

Originally Posted By: ssphunter
I have a good friend that kinda thinks like that. He says my handguns are not really handguns because they are rifle cartriges?????????????????????? LOL

I wish I had a dollar every time I heard the above statement since I started using Speciality Pistols in 1982. Obviously ole Harry B has been spreading the word.

Man I feel sorry for ole Harry B, he really needs to get a grip on things as he doesn't have a clue.

Larry
Posted By: Lefty372

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 4:48 PM

He doesn't know his a** from a hole in the ground.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 6:12 PM

Oh Harry, Harry, Harry, Harry, Harry, Harry.....

Harry, Harry, Harry, Harry.....

Harry.....

Shut the @#$% up Harry, you are making a fool of yourself!
Posted By: bluecow

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 9:23 PM

wipitrod 200 yrds with your bigbore, ill not do that if it was a 22 rimfire
Posted By: Gary

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 9:27 PM

https://forums.cabelas.com/showthread.php?t=17718&page=2

It never ceases to amaze me just how clueless some people are. I find it hard to believe that Harry is that stupid - my guess is that he is just a troll.

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 9:29 PM

Originally Posted By: bluecow
wipitrod 200 yrds with your bigbore, ill not do that if it was a 22 rimfire

hell I wouldn't do it with a pellet gun but this guy is an idiot. I wonder what he thinks about these new airguns they are killing deer and pigs with?
Posted By: wheeler45

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 9:30 PM

Oh no! I have eaten a bunch of deer that were not really dead. They were shot way past 50 yards with a pistol.
Posted By: Landrum

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 10:41 PM

Who is Harry B?

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Landrum
Who is Harry B?

A clueless, pontificating blatherer.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/04/2012 11:10 PM

I respect a man that knows his limitations.
Posted By: chiefs50

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/05/2012 1:04 AM

Not very opinionated, is he?

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/05/2012 1:30 AM

Harry just is not converted yet. Three years ago if you would have told me that I would be able to hit a 4 inch plastic disc at 200 yards, or a 16 inch steel gong at 300 yards with my .44 mag Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter I would have told you that you were mad, but I've done it. Maybe he is from Missouri, and we need to show him.
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/05/2012 1:48 AM

Grendel, I doubt if Harry is from Missouri. Most of us here are well-grounded.
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/05/2012 5:30 AM

Oh ,Harry the Expert ... lord

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/05/2012 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Hampton
Grendel, I doubt if Harry is from Missouri. Most of us here are well-grounded.
And very friendly too. What was I thinking;)
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/06/2012 12:05 AM

I have been practicing out to 170 yards with my open sighted .45 Super and I can gurantee you that he doesn't want me shooting at him. Hopefully he will either learn a little more about handgun hunting or allow us our way of doing it. reflex264
Posted By: Gary

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/06/2012 12:16 AM

I think he's from Ohio.
Posted By: racksmasher

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/06/2012 12:41 AM

I guess we are over Qualified.

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/06/2012 1:16 AM

Originally Posted By: racksmasher
I guess we are over Qualified.

That's one way of looking at it -- LOL!!
Posted By: Jeff686

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/06/2012 1:40 AM

I have the limitations of a 44 magnum and 50 yards max currently, but I don't blame the handguns.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/06/2012 2:34 AM

If he doesn't think the 460 can go beyond 50 yards, I'll make him a deal he can't refuse unless he wants to admit he's an idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about.

I'll have him go out to 200 yards, which is FOUR TIMES his claim, and have him stand 10 feet away from one of those explosive targets the size of a milk jug. If I miss, well, he gets to walk away and his claim is in tact. If I hit it, I get to laugh my arse off!!!

If he REALLY believes what he says, he has no reason to be concerned!!! MWUAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
Posted By: Jeffx

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/06/2012 7:03 PM

Ole Harry is one of those 100yd Riflemen than couldnt hit a Bull in a Boat with a Bass Fiddle !! and thinks he's a Pro Hunter! I'm not bragging but just where I hunt at... most all my shots at big game animals with my Handguns are at more than 50yds.
Posted By: 358429

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/22/2012 5:32 PM

An interesting post. A lot of "firm" responses. A point that this presents is that everyone's level of proficiency is different. We all have an "effective range", the range at which you can reliably take game, that range is determined by your skill level and the parameters of the fire arm you are using.

With the modern big bore high velocity calibers available to handgun hunters it is quite possible to hit targets at very long ranges. However there are other considerations, one being hunter ethics. No one wants to shoot at an animal if they think that they might just wound it. So familiarity with the ballistics of your hunting round and an ability to accurately estimate distances is also necessary. What is the flight time of you bullet at a given distance, is it long enough that the animal has the time to take a step and turn a heart/lung shot into something below the diaphragm...?

I think that Harry has some good points, but probably for the wrong reasons.

I also want to add here that I have read a lot of the posts, and as a long time hunter ed instructor I am quite impressed by the maturity and ethics of the membership here.
Posted By: humphrey

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/23/2012 12:13 AM

What I get a kick out of is Harry has this for his profile info

Biography:
Gunsmithing 50 years experience, I build sniper rifles, African rifles and heavy handgun shooting -
Interests:
Ocean fishing, Gunsmithing - muzzle loader building.
Retired

Apparently these heavy handguns which also is apparently a 44 mag, lob an object so heavy that when fired like a howitzer only travels 50 yards.

He also said he built a 3" heavy barreled ruger 22 pistol for the special forces.

Now this one realy shows his lack of knowledge on how many older barrels have been constructed especially for a man that claims to be a muzzle loader maker.

I'll tell you one:
I was at Williamsburg Va, and several times toured the gun shop and once took one of my rifles down just enough for them to take me into their confidence! The next visit they were reaming a barrel and called me over and said "What do you see in that barrel?'
I said, "A seam!"
The next day I wittnessed them at the forge with the barrel almost at welding heat on the forge avil with a rod through the barrel trying to hammer that seam together!
Uh! Hu! That barrel was "fixed" and the gun was probably sold for $25,000.00 to some rich banker who would never shoot it (thank God) and hang it over his mantle piece! So much for "experts!
We can, with a good book to guide one do much of the custom work that any gun needs to be RIGHT. There is a big difference between a gun that just does work and onw that really works right!
Harry b.

Apparently how to make a pipe is beyond harry and all barrels since the beginning of time have been made by boring a whole in something. Wouldn't he be horrified to know how a rotary forged barrel is made...

Also who Names their kid Harry Bonar.

Harry is obviously a tool.
Posted By: RobK.

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/25/2012 6:50 AM

did you see this post by Harry ?

'' Sirs;
Yes, I used to hunt deer with a handgun. However a scope on any handgun is totally worthless IMHO. Handgun range, regardless of calibers, recommendations, stories is a 50 yard affair! With a scope all you see is hair at this range and takes you longer than plain open sights.
Harry B.''
Posted By: humphrey

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/25/2012 1:22 PM

Originally Posted By: RobK.

'' Sirs;
Yes, I used to hunt deer with a handgun. However a scope on any handgun is totally worthless IMHO. Handgun range, regardless of calibers, recommendations, stories is a 50 yard affair! With a scope all you see is hair at this range and takes you longer than plain open sights.
Harry B.''

2x scope would fix that problem.
Posted By: HoggHunter

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/25/2012 1:59 PM

altho he has heard the name, I sincerely doubt that this guy knows Jack!
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/25/2012 5:42 PM

Originally Posted By: humphrey
 Originally Posted By: RobK.

'' Sirs;
Harry B.''

2x scope would fix that problem.

Ole Harry needs more than a different scope, Harry B needs an education.
Posted By: dc74

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/25/2012 6:59 PM

thats hes limits not every ones .i say set your on limit
Posted By: 358429

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/26/2012 3:58 PM

And more "firm" responses .. The scope nonsense is just that, if anything you can get a better sight picture quicker with a scope. You significantly increase the effective range of a handgun with the addition of a good optical sight.
Posted By: Ramjet-SS

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/26/2012 6:29 PM

70 yards 50 cal muzzleloading handgun took the top of the heart off with good restb100 yards same gun no problem at all.
Posted By: campbellkids

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/27/2012 4:53 AM

Contenders are handguns as long as they have a14 or shorter barrel. My opinion.
Posted By: campbellkids

Re: Are you fooling yourselves - 11/27/2012 4:56 AM

He sounds like a dreamer
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums