Handgunhunt

Worried about holster wear on my scope?

Posted By: Tonga

Worried about holster wear on my scope? - 11/15/2012 3:22 PM

Ok I have been signed up for a few but this is my first post here. I have a Ruger SBH magnum hunter the stainless job and I have a silver finished Leupold 2.5 x 8 pistol scope on it. I have a black Uncle mikes (see link) over the shoulder holster to carry it in the field. The holster has a snap down flap that secures the gun very well but the holster is made out of a very stiff black material (nylon?) and when I holster or un-holster the gun it feels rough. I am worried it is going to destroy the finish on my scope. Does anyone have any experience with these holsters and scopes?
Thank you for reading.
Posted By: Gary

Re: Worried about holster wear on my scope? - 11/15/2012 4:45 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a holster create wear marks on a scope but I suppose it's possible. I think you'll see other bumps and dings occur from general use if you're hunting with it long before you'll have to worry about holster wear.
Posted By: dc74

Re: Worried about holster wear on my scope? - 11/15/2012 11:32 PM

i my self have not had any wear on no scopes .and have used a lot of diff ones from leather to vinyl never a prob.....if its a proper fit...
Posted By: Pasco

Re: Worried about holster wear on my scope? - 11/16/2012 3:05 AM

Don't worry about it. A little bit holster rubs and other scratches is proof that its not a gun vault queen. The only unexceptable blemish on a gun is rust.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Worried about holster wear on my scope? - 11/16/2012 3:11 AM

Tonga - I have an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster that has carried a Leupold scoped Redhawk for over 20 years. No significant wear. It sounds worse than it actually is - that holster design makes everything sound louder. Try unsnapping it with a deer in range!
Posted By: Boartuff

Re: Worried about holster wear on my scope? - 11/16/2012 4:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Pasco
Don't worry about it. A little bit holster rubs and other scratches is proof that its not a gun vault queen. The only unexceptable blemish on a gun is rust.

I agree. Go hunting!
Posted By: Steve in PA

Re: Worried about holster wear on my scope? - 11/16/2012 4:54 AM

Scoped stainless steel SRH carried in a UM Bandloeer holster shows no wear from the holster after 20 years.

Re: Worried about holster wear on my scope? - 11/16/2012 5:12 AM

Thanks for all of the replies, yes it is very loud and it feels very course as you holster or un-holster the gun, this was a very expensive scope and I was contemplating selling it and getting just a fixed 2x power scope for the gun. I am not worried about the gun but I figured the scope would be a hard sell if the finish was ground off the front bell of the scope. Actually who am I kidding either way I don’t want my scope beat all to hell.

Re: Worried about holster wear on my scope? - 11/16/2012 5:16 AM

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/210887/...rel-nylon-black
Posted By: DOAGuide

Re: Worried about holster wear on my scope? - 12/23/2012 6:57 PM

great info
Posted By: campbellkids

Re: Worried about holster wear on my scope? - 12/27/2012 11:20 AM

Cannot go wrong with a Leopold 2x! I believe that a scope should not out shine the caliber. A .223 dog shooter would have a 4 x or better but the 2x on a wheel gun has great recovery time and clear viewing. They are cheaper than most scopes and hold up well.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums