Handgunhunt

my first

Posted By: nytracker

my first - 11/20/2012 4:10 PM

Well I have to say this, ... its my first miss on a deer in years.Watched a mature doe for better than 30 minutes as she worked her way in .. wasnt sure I wanted to take her till she gave me the shot at 35 yds. Thick underbrush in a stand of pines made it hard to get a shot .I cocked my sbh at about 50yds and held my thumb in the hammer till she presented the shot leaning against the tree I aimed mid chest and squeased off the shot. Tree branch fell about 10 yds from her and the bullet hit a foot over her back into the hill side .... no hair no blood no foul.Happy I didnt wound her.Bumed out on the miss .. handgun hunting excitment factor off the charts.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: my first - 11/20/2012 4:12 PM

If you do it enough, it happens. No harm, no foul. But now you are hopelessly hooked! Congratulations!
Posted By: Jeff686

Re: my first - 11/20/2012 4:43 PM

We are in the same boat NY. I missed a doe at 40 yards opening weekend. It was the first deer I saw and I got excited. I shouldn't have taken the shot through the thickness she was in, and I'm lucky I didn't wound her. RSBH in 44Mag. That's the only shot I've taken. I'm hopeful for my holiday break. Good luck to you too!
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: my first - 11/20/2012 5:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
If you do it enough, it happens. No harm, no foul. But now you are hopelessly hooked! Congratulations!

Exactly! Don't be too hard on yourself! Give yourself credit for using the handgun where most hunters wouldn't!
Posted By: Rick

Re: my first - 11/20/2012 9:36 PM

This is why it is called hunting. Don't let it get you down
Posted By: racksmasher

Re: my first - 11/21/2012 12:01 AM

Don"t let it get you down, we all miss,stay with it and good luck.
Posted By: Larry in SD

Re: my first - 11/21/2012 1:05 AM

As they say better luck next time. Yep I've missed a few myself over the years with a Handgun and luckily enough they were clean misses. If someone tells you they have never missed a shot at a game animal, I presonally would question whether or not that person actually has hunted.

Larry
Posted By: HoggHunter

Re: my first - 11/21/2012 1:38 AM

ther are so many things to think about when your target isn't paper. but the good thing is there is lots of season left. we all miss now and then.
Posted By: Shortgun

Re: my first - 11/21/2012 2:02 AM

Don't feel bad nytracker I missed one Sat. morn with my 41 mag.
it happens, and I hate it when it happens, hang with it...
Posted By: hfischer

Re: my first - 11/21/2012 3:25 AM

Know a guy who missed twice this weekend with a rifle. Trying to blame his eyeglasses. Hunting with a handgun is much more challenging so don't feel bad.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums