Handgunhunt

Pennsylvania opener

Posted By: racksmasher

Pennsylvania opener - 11/23/2012 2:47 PM

Best of luck to my neighbors in P.A. on monday"s opener, I"ll be over in Crawford county.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Pennsylvania opener - 11/23/2012 3:59 PM

Good Luck!
Posted By: Plagioclase

Re: Pennsylvania opener - 11/23/2012 5:00 PM

Where at in Crawford County? I'm sitting in Crawford County right now - grew up here.
Posted By: mikefrompa

Re: Pennsylvania opener - 11/23/2012 5:55 PM

Be hunting at home this yr. in York co. Good luck to everyone.

Re: Pennsylvania opener - 11/23/2012 6:48 PM

Conneaut lake area, it"s time to hunt a new area, we have been down in Potter county for 16 years.
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: Pennsylvania opener - 11/23/2012 8:10 PM

I'll be in southern Indiana County for most of the season near where I live. I do work in Crawford quite a bit though.

Re: Pennsylvania opener - 11/23/2012 11:05 PM

I was told that it"s loaded with deer.
Posted By: dc74

Re: Pennsylvania opener - 11/24/2012 1:21 AM

good luck guys down here in Fayette county myself.
Posted By: Plagioclase

Re: Pennsylvania opener - 11/24/2012 12:47 PM

There is a bunch of deer and some real trophies. My best buds growing up live in CL and they still do. I've been hunting there for 35+ yrs. If you want a shot at a big buck, head out 285 from CL toward Ohio, hunt the fringes of the Pymatuning goose mgt area. It is thick, swampy, nasty and tough to hunt. But we've killed a few dandy bucks as well. My best bud still lives overlooking the swamp on the CL side. There is some small gamelands on that side that are wroth a look as well. Might want to consider hunting the water's edge in a treestand. Deer head for the swamp when the shooting starts. We've killed deer hunting in waders.

Might also want to have a look at the gamelands down 285 the other way toward Geneva. Think about the waters edge down there as well. We used to hunt that area with waders and have killed deer standing in belly deep water. There will be a few guys down there but the deer are there as well.

The other thing you'll notice is the size of the deer. Most fawns born in May/June in that area will exceed 100 lbs. A big buck will top 200 lbs live weight.

A friend of mine killed a 158" buck a few weeks back in archery season not far from where I'm telling you to go.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Re: Pennsylvania opener - 11/24/2012 3:00 PM

My first scouting trip was at Pymatuning park, and it"a backup spot, my next trip was to SGL 214, it was nice, BUT , it is also a backup spot, we settled on SGI 213, more room and is wet and swampy.I am packing as I type this, I am very excited to be hunting a new area of the state, the area is similar to hunting at home. I have my hammers packed, Encore 30-06, and my performance center 460, leaving early Sunday morning, good luck to you all and be safe.
Posted By: jimmylee

Re: Pennsylvania opener - 11/24/2012 5:21 PM

I will be hunting in southern Armstrong on opening morning with my big hammer (300 KYODE win mag). Good luck to all this deer season.
Posted By: Steve in PA

Re: Pennsylvania opener - 11/25/2012 12:52 AM

I'll be on a SGL in Luzerne County. Saw some decent sign on the last Wed of the regular bear season. Hope to see some action on Monday. Looks to be a bit on the nippy side. Hope there is some white stuff on the ground too!
Posted By: encore460

Re: Pennsylvania opener - 11/25/2012 5:40 AM

Hey used to hunt there in my younger days, we always had luck in the state game lands just outside of town. Miss going there spent alot of summers there as a youth. good luck to you. If you want directions to the spot we used to hunt there let me know.

Re: Pennsylvania opener - 11/25/2012 10:34 AM

I will be back Wednesday, with stories and pic"s,good luck boys.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums