Handgunhunt

Yes, James, I do use

Posted By: Russell

Yes, James, I do use - 02/20/2013 3:03 AM

a wheelgun on occassion. One of the properties I do predator control on is over run with armadilloes. Durn things are very destructive and are non native, so, today I hung my little single-six .32 mag on my belt when I went out to do some coyote callin'. Couldn't find any coyotes that wanted to play, so on thw walk back to the truck I punched the ticket on these two critters. I was shooting 3.5grs Unique under a home cast 115gr'r.

Posted By: KRal

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/20/2013 4:00 AM

Oooohh......I love to shoots me some 'dillos! Can't stand 'em!!! They keep my yard looking like a grenade range. Congrats! They're great off-season targets.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/20/2013 6:11 AM

Nice work, Sheriff!
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/20/2013 11:44 AM

'Possum on the half shell! Congrats, Russell!
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/20/2013 12:01 PM

They have to be fun to shoot!! Can they see or hear well?? Never messed with those at all.
Posted By: tex44hunter

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/20/2013 12:20 PM

most of the time you can almost walk right up to them, still fun to shoot.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/20/2013 1:32 PM

They can run and jump like you wouldn't believe!! We use to chase them around during break time at work! Its freakin hilarious watching someone trying to catch one!
Posted By: GlennS

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/20/2013 1:53 PM

I'm with Kral, I love shooting dillos!! Nice work Sheriff!
Posted By: KRal

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/20/2013 2:13 PM

Dan, if you stay down wind and move really slow, they're not hard to catch.

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/20/2013 2:22 PM

They can 'scent' you and hear you as I've had them run before I could get withen my comfort zone with open sites (less than 50yds). But, as Kral stated move slow and easy, into a crosswind or head wind, and you could catch one. I just prefer my single-sixes, .22mag or .32mag.

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/20/2013 3:58 PM

I have exercised domain over these creatures with a .454 in the past......
Posted By: Cookie125

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/20/2013 4:41 PM

Shoot them all Russell. At my summer job they are everywhere and my boss hates them so I have gotten anywhere from 30-60 in a summer with my S&W 22A and a few with my revolver even. Even took a buddy out to have some fun with his Glock 22 lol. Although the best I've seen is a coworker killed two in a day with a hammer.
Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/20/2013 5:19 PM

Russell,

Thanks for sharing. never gave them much thought, having never even seen one, but did a little reading on them just now. What an odd little creature. Kin to the ant eater. Who da thunk.

Craig
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/20/2013 8:53 PM

Hey Russ,
Load your truck with a mess of live ones, and bring them to CSA. We'll transplant them on Tom's new range, as well as down in the "Holler", so we have something better than the usual swingers in years to come.
Ken
Posted By: kingfisher

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/21/2013 12:56 AM

Those half-shells never knows what hits 'em when you pop 'em from an elevated stand. Chuutem with a .410 handgun for the ultimate in small-game hunting!
Posted By: Okie Hunter

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/21/2013 3:37 AM

You're right, these are fun to shoot. I shot one with an arrow while bow hunting once. It tried to run into a hole and bent my arrow into a horseshoe!
Posted By: S.B.

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/21/2013 3:42 AM

Ever since I learned they carry the leprocy virus, I'm carefol to stay my distance.
Steve
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/21/2013 4:05 AM

LOL.

From my understanding you are right. But I thought it was a type of disease that could cross speaces.

They are fun to shoot. We had to shoot them with bows on the Navy base. They were tearing up the new base ball field, which was right next to the housing complex.

I have to say, my favorite was a left handed shot with my 44 SBH. Love shooting them almost as much as hogs.

Ps. They are a good white meat.

Duane
Posted By: GlennS

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/21/2013 5:34 AM

A 378 weatherby will leave a vacant shell when shot from the south of a north bound Dillo. If you do sneak up and grab one by the tail, hang on tight, they do some fierce shaking usually
\:\)
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/21/2013 5:41 AM

we don't have dillo's here so it's possums, porcupines and when I'm on the east side of the state my favorite, badgers.
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/21/2013 2:44 PM

378 weatherby and 454's on dillo's. a touch of overkill? haha

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/21/2013 4:02 PM

Thanks for the idea, Ken. I could probably catch a couple of gunny sacks full between now and the CSA shoot. I'm sure Tom wouldn't mind us dumping them out on his new range.....

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/21/2013 4:21 PM

Originally Posted By: tradmark
378 weatherby and 454's on dillo's. a touch of overkill? haha

Mark, there are no degrees of dead -- LOL!

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/21/2013 4:29 PM

make no mistake about it, i'm fine and highly approve of overkill. last rifle hunt was a 375 HH on whitetail a few years ago.

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/21/2013 4:53 PM

make no mistake about it, i'm fine and highly approve of overkill. last rifle hunt was a 375 HH on whitetail a few years ago.

I take my .416 Remmie out every couple of years to help me dispatch hogs..... I know where you are coming form! LOL!
Posted By: linebaugh

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/21/2013 6:36 PM

I'm willing to be it's a short blood trail:)

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/21/2013 7:14 PM

when i use my double tap barnes 235 gr loads at 3100 fps it's about 6" cuz the animal rolls a touch when it drops!
Posted By: linebaugh

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/21/2013 7:17 PM

when i use my double tap barnes 235 gr loads at 3100 fps it's about 6" cuz the animal rolls a touch when it drops!

Lol, that's awesome
Posted By: Cookie125

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/21/2013 7:48 PM

This talk of overkill makes me wish we would have seen something when my buddy was out with his .500S&W lol
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/21/2013 9:05 PM

Russ, So its true....I heard you Oklahoma sheriff`s always have a single action in reserve...

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/21/2013 9:41 PM

my favorite thing to do when I still lived in the high desert was to go after rock chucks and ground squirrels with my 45-70BFR. I really liked it when they would stand on a big boulder (yeah I know shooting at rocks is bad) anyways I'd shoot at their feet and watch them go airborne. My best went over 40ft straight up and landed about 50ft from where he was standing.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/22/2013 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: wapitirod
my favorite thing to do when I still lived in the high desert was to go after rock chucks and ground squirrels with my 45-70BFR. I really liked it when they would stand on a big boulder (yeah I know shooting at rocks is bad) anyways I'd shoot at their feet and watch them go airborne. My best went over 40ft straight up and landed about 50ft from where he was standing.

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! New Olympic sport -- Ground Squirrel High Jump!!!

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/22/2013 2:00 AM

You bet, the 22's got boring and it brought new life into it
\:\)
My best though was as a youngster I shot a chipmunk on a stump from about 50yds with Mod 70 in 06. The squirrel just fell over and when I walked up I couldn't see anything wrong until I flipped him over. There was a perfect half circle burnt across his chest. I had hit him broadside while he was standing and the shot was right on the point of the shoulder. It removed both legs and left a cauterized wound from one side to the other. Aside from the woodpecker I shot with my 375H&H (which still causes me to laugh when I think about it) it was the funniest thing I'd seen shooting or hunting.
Posted By: HoggHunter

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/24/2013 4:51 AM

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.
Posted By: johnwilliams

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/25/2013 6:09 PM

nice shooting!
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/25/2013 11:27 PM

When I was 12 and in the Everglades I killed an albino that was tearing up our hunting camp airboat landing. Had I realized how rare they are to see, I would have had it mounted. I killed it with a ruger MarkI.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Yes, James, I do use - 02/25/2013 11:30 PM

Overkill??????? Is there such a thing. Heheje
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums