Handgunhunt

The Best Hunting Revovler

Posted By: coachA

The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/05/2013 7:03 PM

I am new to handgun hunting looking to purchase a new one. I would to know what all of your prefferences are and why, when it come to a revolver? I know a single shot has its advantages but I am really looking for a revolver. I wuold like to know what action would be the best? What action is the most acurrate? I am fimilar with pistols but not really a hunting pistol. I like the 44 mag for everything I will be doing and the ease of finding ammo.
Posted By: wtroper

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/05/2013 7:40 PM

CoachA,

You will find many opinions here about what is the best. Most hunting revolvers are single action (Rugers, BFRs, Freedom Arms); however, the double action revolvers (S&W, Colt, Taurus??) have their followers. IMHO it depends upon which feels better to you.

I am not sure that one action is more accurate than another. I prefer Freedom Arms single action revolvers for their inherent accuracy and the shape of the grip. However, I have an old S&W M57 that will almost shoot with my best FAs.

I am sure that you will get numerous responses to your question. You might also look at some of the older threads as these topics have been discussed before.

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/05/2013 7:46 PM

I have tried to find some threads on here that could answer my questions. If you can tell me the name of some of the threads that I need to look at, I would greatly appreciate it.
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/05/2013 7:47 PM

Man, talk about subjective . Lol. Personally, I like revolvers with barrels under 6". Single action. They just handle like I think a handgun should. Start getting to big, and it begins to become harder to manage . If that makes sense.

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/05/2013 8:24 PM

I just looked at the poll results on another thread and there is a lot of people that choose single action over double action. My question is why? I would have thought it would be harder to shoot accurate with the longer trigger pull. Also, would a double action not have a much more consistent trigger pull when in the cocked position?
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/05/2013 8:25 PM

I like the double action revolvers, but haven't spent time with a single action yet. That being said, I am having a single action Ruger rebuilt as we speak.

Single action revolvers don't have a long trigger pull, or at least they shouldn't. I think you are perhaps thinking of shooting the double action? A revolver shot in double action has a long pull. But if ya cock the hammer, it then becomes a single action trigger, and doesn't take much to set it off.

Double action can still be shot as a single action, and I would be willing to bet the trigger on my Colt Anaconda (double action) is as good as any you will find on a single action.

If you have your caliber picked out, find a revolver that fits you, and that you think looks nice, and take the plunge!

Consider this your warning-- If you like a fat wallet, DO NOT get into handgun hunting. One handgun will lead to two, then three, then four, etc...

Otherwise, JOIN THE CLUB!!!

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/05/2013 8:33 PM

LOL ok! So, I was actually getting a single action revolver and double action revolver mixed up? A single action revolver requires you to cock the hammer and a double action revolver can be shot eith by cocking the hammer or not?

That would make more sense than what I was thinknig!
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/05/2013 8:39 PM

There is nothing better than a nicely tuned single action trigger, although my DA Rugers also have a sweet SA trigger. I like both DA and SA, 6" barrel + or - a little. The one real advantage of a DA revolver is the ease of loading and unloading.

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/05/2013 9:20 PM

Another consideration is what & where will you be hunting. Many of the members here hunt with revolvers in heavily wooded areas where most opportunities are much less than 100 yds. Some of us live & hunt in more open country so that a 100 yd shot is a close one. As the distance that you are shooting increases, the trajectory of the bullet becomes more important. Thus, caliber choice and barrel length are influenced.

I, along with many others, prefer to carry a shorter barrel (4-5 1/2 inches) but I prefer to hunt with a 7 1/2. All of my hunting revolvers are 7 1/2s and almost all are scoped.

RT made a good point that the trigger on his Colt is excellent. Sounds like the trigger on my old M57 S&W (2# or less -- no movement when shooting it single-action). Thus, the choice between SA & DA really is not about trigger pull or movement. It is more related to the shape of the grip and what feels good to you and which you prefer to shoot.

In Ruger SAs you have a choice between the traditional grip & the bisley. FA's grip is more like the bisley, but not exactly the same. BFRs have still a very different grip and custom revolvers can be made with still other choices.

Therefore, my advice is to shoot as many different ones as you can before making your selection. Getting one that you really like and that you shoot well is really better than having a safe full of the others.
Posted By: tradmark

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/05/2013 10:30 PM

while i'm a huge FA fan and i truly think they are the best out i think just getting into it ya can't go wrong with a ruger super redhawk in a 7.5" barrel as ya love the 44 mag. great grips, prolly the most comfortable 44 mag out to shoot, will handle the long 44 loads, and has about the most convenient way to mount a scope or red dot sight in case ya wanna go that route too. they also don't break the bank so ya can save a up for a FA too.
Posted By: Gary

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/05/2013 11:56 PM

As others have stated, this is a highly personal preference. I choose Freedom Arms because I can shoot the full-house loads without great discomfort from the grip and I've not found any other revolver that is more accurate. The other reason I like the FA guns is because of the power you get in a small package. DA guns just seem more bulky, unwieldy and heavy than a SA gun. The FA's are just a bit heavier than a Ruger of similar barrel length and I have a couple Rugers that I'm really fond of but you're limited to the power of the .44 magnum unless you have a custom build done.
Posted By: minnesotahunter

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/06/2013 12:34 AM

Super Blackhawk Hunter.

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/06/2013 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: minnesotahunter
Super Blackhawk Hunter.
Great gun - I used to have 4 of em but have downsized to just one.
Posted By: racksmasher

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/06/2013 1:05 AM

I like both single and double action, I prefer single, I really like my Blackhawk hunter.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/06/2013 1:13 AM

The best handgun to start with is the one you can afford and can afford to shoot a bunch. It takes quite a bit of practice to become confidant enough to have an enjoyable productive hunt. Once you become proficient enough with one learning to use new guns becomes second nature. Welcome to the nightmare factory. LOL!
Posted By: TomC

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/06/2013 1:31 AM

Another vote for Freedom Arms. They are built like a bank vault and more accurate than most guys can shoot.
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/06/2013 1:35 AM

Originally Posted By: minnesotahunter
Super Blackhawk Hunter.

Da'troof!!
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/06/2013 3:18 AM

I think the best revolver is the one that you shoot the best, regardless of the make.
Posted By: Seasons44

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/06/2013 3:19 AM

Everybody gave you great info, I would also add BFR's to the list, after a Huntington Grip mod they are hard to beat.

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/06/2013 3:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Seasons44
Everybody gave you great info, I would also add BFR's to the list, after a Huntington Grip mod they are hard to beat.

I agree completely! The BFR offers the most bang for the buck as far as I am concerned.

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/06/2013 12:05 PM

Thanks guys!! I truly appreciate all of the input. I think I have it narrowed down to two handguns and they are both made by ruger. I know I would probably get more out of a FA or a BFR but I can't justify spending that much on my first hunting revolver. I believe the Super Redhawk or the super Blackhawks is going to be my choice. I like the grip of the Redhawk better than the Blackhawks, so it looks like I may go that route first. Again, I truly appreciate all of the input.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/06/2013 12:33 PM

Before you make that choice, check out the ruger bisley hunter. It is a fantastic hunting revolver with a great grip. With a little extra money spent on a trigger job you will have a great strong easy shooting handgun.

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/06/2013 2:36 PM

How much would a trigger job set me back? I have a friend that does my trigger jobs in my rifles but he has ever work on a pistol, as far as I know. What's the difference in the grips if the bisley and the other two?

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/06/2013 2:41 PM

Bisley is the stainless grip on top, the plow handle (in this case the Dragoon style used on the Super Blackhawk) is the grip on the bottom. Hope this helps!

Posted By: BuddyB

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/06/2013 6:58 PM

I'd vote for the Super Redhawk as well. I had the Bisley Super Blackhawk Hunter and the gun looks and shoots very well but it kept pounding my middle finger when I shot. Now, that could have been the way I gripped it but the Super Redhawk just shot and felt better to me. Good luck with what ever choice you make.
Posted By: S.B.

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/06/2013 7:53 PM

I'll weigh in on the "choose the one that fits you and you can afford" to start with. Be open minded about your choices. Choose a rimfire to start your hunting with and hunt small game as much as your state allows for a year or two before going up in caliber and game size and pratice practice practice.
Welcome to our world of handgun hunting.
Steve

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/06/2013 8:51 PM

I have a rimfire pistol and a home defense handgun, so I am not knew to shooting a handgun. I am new to hunting cartridges and taking animals with it. I have always had the dream of harvesting game with a handgun.
Posted By: Scienceguy

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/06/2013 9:51 PM

I love my Bisley Blackhawk in 45 colt. The trigger is wonderful after a "poor mans trigger job" and a couple thousand dry fires. All my friends have been able to pick it up and hit what ever they were shooting at. That speaks volumes to me about the natural shootability. With some guns I might shoot well one day and "broad side of the barn" the next. At 50 yards, with one shot, open sights it's a dead soda can or a really really really scared one!

Also, if you bow hunt, treat handgun hunting the same way you bow hunt.
Posted By: wheelguns

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/06/2013 11:55 PM

coachA, either one of the Rugers you mentioned will work just fine. I will say, that if you decide down the road you want to put a scope on your handgun, i would seriously consider the Super Redhawk. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/07/2013 2:18 PM

I am leaning a more toward the redhawk because the grip is so comfortable. My next question is about the trigger. I dont plan on getting a trigger job for a while or at least until I get used to the gun and caliber. Having said that, where do you guys get your triggers worked on and how much should a trigger job cost? I know coast is a relative term when you are talking about something you are passionate about.

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/07/2013 2:32 PM

Redhawk or Super Redhawk??
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/07/2013 2:42 PM

Quote:
triggers worked on

If you are talking about the Super Redhawk, I wouldn't worry about the trigger. My SRH in 480R has a sweet SA trigger right out of the box. A spring change is all that you may need to do. Give it a try before you spend any more money.
Posted By: linebaugh

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/07/2013 2:57 PM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:
triggers worked on

If you are talking about the Super Redhawk, I wouldn't worry about the trigger. My SRH in 480R has a sweet SA trigger right out of the box. A spring change is all that you may need to do. Give it a try before you spend any more money.

I agree with Rod, the Super Redhawk I have also has a nice trigger right out of the box. If the Super Redhawk is the one your leaning twards, I don't think you'll be disapointed. It is truly a great gun..

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/07/2013 3:09 PM

Yes the Super Redhawk is the one I think I am going to go with. I truly appreciate all of the help yall are giving me. I think I may be creating a monster with in myself and I dont even have the gun yet, or at least thats what my wife says. Wifes just dont understand!! LOL

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/07/2013 4:06 PM

Get her a gun of her own, and start the obsession in her also. My wife and I shoot together often. She has taken over a couple of my guns as her own ( 308 Savage Striker w/muzzle break, Browning Citori golden sporting clays, and my Ruger Super Redhawk 454casull/45colt=she shoot the 45colt).
It's alot of fun shooting with the wife, and it helps when spending money on a new toy if she's onboard with the hobby too..

Make it a family event!!

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/07/2013 4:31 PM

Thats my plan!! I think its going to be a succes because when I got her into deer hunting, she became the monster. So, I am hoping this is the same way.

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/07/2013 4:49 PM

If you are not satisfied with the trigger as it is, I have had success with waptirod. He has changed some of mine from acceptable to very nice --- however, I prefer a light trigger pull.
Posted By: Raf

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/09/2013 2:58 AM

I have a few that I love:

This S&W 629 has served me well in the woods:

Now this single action is sweet:

45 Colt:

These are a few of my woods guns:

My .45 Colt:

My .44 spl:

Oh yeah, forgot to say how expensive the FAs are. Good gun, but too much money for me. Ruger works for me!!!

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/09/2013 3:03 AM

Very nice Raf!!
Posted By: Festus

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/10/2013 1:49 PM

Ford VS Chevy
the best one is the one that you own
Get one you like, shoot it and have fun!
Posted By: DeerDad

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/12/2013 1:13 AM

I debated about which revolver I wanted as well. I chose the double action for one reason. It is easy to unload when I leave the stand and get to the road. I hunted wildlife management areas mostly and must unload my gun as soon as I reach the road. I like being able to push one button and dumping six rounds into my hand versus turning a cylinder and pushing one out at a time. When you go in and out the woods as much as I do I liked the convenience. I only shoot it as single action. One down fall is there is no good hip holster for a super redhawk. I use a shoulder holster. I enjoying shooting my revolver and hunting with it. I put a scope on it but took it off because I like iron sights in heavy cover. I will recommend the ghost sights. I tried it this weekend and wow it was amazing.

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/12/2013 4:37 AM

Quote:
One down fall is there is no good hip holster for a super redhawk.
I agree and not really a good one for the Redhawk. I've always found both to be too heavy for comfy carry on a belt...

That's one reason I love a SA gun. Like Taffin's quest for the perfect packing pistol.

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/12/2013 10:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Gary
 Quote:
One down fall is there is no good hip holster for a super redhawk.
I agree and not really a good one for the Redhawk. I've always found both to be too heavy for comfy carry on a belt...

That's one reason I love a SA gun. Like Taffin's quest for the perfect packing pistol.

My Redhawk isn't heavier than my FA83 and both carry well on the belt, but neither has a really long barrel and both have open sights. One of the keys to comfortable belt carry is a good belt that can support a revolver well. I have a Galco holster for my Redhawk that is pretty nice. When you cut the barrel back on a Super Redhawk they also become much easier to carry but definitely more cumbersome with a 7 1/2-inch tube.

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/12/2013 11:14 AM

I didn't figure I would use a belt holster anyway. I plan to put some kind of optic on it and I figured that would make it too heavy. I'm not a fan of pulling my pants up every few seconds. I figured I would have to have some sort of shoulder holster.
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: The Best Hunting Revovler - 03/12/2013 12:04 PM

I can see a little size difference in the SRH vs. SBH. But mine literally weight within a couple of ounces of each other.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums