Handgunhunt

Low Light Red Dot

Posted By: mike.44

Low Light Red Dot - 06/30/2013 1:57 PM

I am looking for a red dot(reflex) for a handgun. This is for handgun hunting. My concern is I do not want the dot too bright in low light as that would wash out the target. On my lease I can even hunt hogs in the dark. I am not looking for night vision per se.....just don't want the dot too bright in low light. Have any of you done this and have any experience to share?
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 06/30/2013 2:27 PM

Any of Ultradot's units have a brightness control from 1 through 10 for you to adjust accordingly. The LT is the only one that does not however adjusts itself according to conditions, and it is a really small dot at 1.5 moa.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 06/30/2013 2:36 PM

Thanks Whit
Posted By: KRal

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 06/30/2013 2:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
Any of Ultradot's units have a brightness control from 1 through 10 for you to adjust accordingly. The LT is the only one that does not however adjusts itself according to conditions, and it is a really small dot at 1.5 moa.

Max, have you had time to properly field test the LT? I'm interested in that 1.5moa. How well does the dot adjust to ambient light?

Mike.44, I have the JPoint on my M97. You can't manually adjust the dot brightness, for it adjust automatically. From my experience with it, the worst times of the day for flaring is: at dawn and dusk dark. It's awesome after dark! If the sky is clear and bright, the sight stays adjusted for bright conditions, although where you're hunting, it's not.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 06/30/2013 2:49 PM

Went to the Ultra Dot web sight. Says the l/t is 4moa dot. I think earlier ones may have been smaller.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 06/30/2013 3:21 PM

Originally Posted By: mike.44
Went to the Ultra Dot web sight. Says the l/t is 4moa dot. I think earlier ones may have been smaller.

I think they may have changed them, but may be wrong. The dot is tiny. I am trying to find the box it came in. But again, I don't think it is that critical unless you are planning really long shots on small targets, but if we are talking low-light, I am going to assume we are getting close to the animal.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 06/30/2013 3:23 PM

Originally Posted By: KRal

Max, have you had time to properly field test the LT? I'm interested in that 1.5moa. How well does the dot adjust to ambient light?

Kim, I've started to. I have one mounted on my BFR in .500 JRH and so far it is holding up well. The L/T also adjusts itself to the conditions. So far I am really happy with it.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 06/30/2013 3:42 PM

Quote:
Any of Ultradot's units have a brightness control from 1 through 10 for you to adjust accordingly.

Mine has 11 settings, and on the lowest I can shoot anything I can see, without any "flare" at all. Even in the dark of night, if you can "see" an object you can shoot it. Shooting with both eyes open is a plus, if not mandatory. The hardest part can be quickly finding the dot in the sight, because it may be hard to see the tube at times.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 06/30/2013 3:55 PM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:
Any of Ultradot's units have a brightness control from 1 through 10 for you to adjust accordingly.

Mine has 11 settings, and on the lowest I can shoot anything I can see, without any "flare" at all. Even in the dark of night, if you can "see" an object you can shoot it. Shooting with both eyes open is a plus, if not mandatory. The hardest part can be quickly finding the dot in the sight, because it may be hard to see the tube at times.

You're right, Rod, I stand corrected. There are 11 brightness settings.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 06/30/2013 4:57 PM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:

You're right, Rod, I stand corrected. There are 11 brightness settings.

No biggie Max. It's just that most of the time mine is on 11 so it stuck out in my head
;\)
Posted By: 240

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 06/30/2013 7:11 PM

Ultra Dot Match Dot is a great Red dot for low light, if your open to using a tube style red dot. You can manual reduce the brightness & dot size, which really helps for not washing out targets in low light.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 06/30/2013 8:13 PM

the JPoint 4 Precision is made specifically for low light like you would find at an indoor range. The one thing I found out however about the JPoint is the lens is plastic so be careful when cleaning. I had one on my MKIII and even with the cover on it some action cleaner apparently got to the lens and ruined the sight. the worse news is unlike Leupold they won't do anything for you so the sight is junk now. I was told they are made in Europe so it's too difficult to get parts and no offer of a new one even at a prorated amount was given.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 06/30/2013 8:26 PM

I have a 3.5 MOA DeltaPoint and have run it in low light and nighttime conditions - it does self-adjust and can be a touch too bright just before dark, but not to the point that I missed an opportunity.

I recently mounted a J-Point to a revolver that will get some play this season as well.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/01/2013 7:34 AM

So, it seems you all are opting for the tube as opposed to the reflex.....any particular reason?

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/01/2013 11:16 AM

So, it seems you all are opting for the tube as opposed to the reflex.....any particular reason?

I think they're tougher, better protected. The lens isn't exposed to the elements and if you drop them, they will more likely survive in my experience. One of my Ultradots (an Ultradot 30) has taken a couple of 12-ft + spills from tree stands (only once was my fault!) and it didn't so much as budge zero.
Posted By: 240

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/01/2013 11:49 AM

I've been tempted by the smaller size of the JPoint size, but everytime I played with them inside Cabelas the floresent lights but a glare on the plastic screen, and have to adjust the position of the sight in my hand to find the dot. The tube style dots just seem to line up naturally for me. Im guessing if the sight was mounted on gun with a repeatable grip position maybe I could find the dot quicker. I gave up and bought the Aimpoint Micro tube style for its reduced size. Its nice but the Ultra Dot, is a third of the price, and you can adjust the dot size,

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/01/2013 1:12 PM

Originally Posted By: 240
I've been tempted by the smaller size of the JPoint size, but everytime I played with them inside Cabelas the floresent lights but a glare on the plastic screen, and have to adjust the position of the sight in my hand to find the dot. The tube style dots just seem to line up naturally for me. Im guessing if the sight was mounted on gun with a repeatable grip position maybe I could find the dot quicker. I gave up and bought the Aimpoint Micro tube style for its reduced size. Its nice but the Ultra Dot, is a third of the price, and you can adjust the dot size,

I would add that the Ultradots cost a lot less, but I am willing to bet they can take a beating better as well. I have thoroughly abused mine with very heavy, repeated recoil and they just keep going. Also, a lifetime warranty is nice!

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/01/2013 1:42 PM

I use both, and both have their place. The reflex sights are conveniently small, but it can be a challenge finding the dot in a hurry. The tube gives your eye something to relate to so are much quicker to get on taret.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/01/2013 1:56 PM

It seems as if the tube sight would make it hard to "find" the animal in. That was my reason on looking at the reflex sight.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/01/2013 2:46 PM

It seems as if the tube sight would make it hard to "find" the animal in. That was my reason on looking at the reflex sight.

They're not actually. Both types take some familiarization, but the tube is almost natural to look through.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/01/2013 3:08 PM

The key to using any red dot sight, and even low powered scopes, is to shoot with both eyes. You don't look into the tube, but rather through it.

I have a trick I play on new shooters. I'll load a cylinder and shoot up one of our steel plates, and pass the gun around for all to do the same. I then cover the front lens of the UltraDot and ask them how many do they think I can hit that way. The puzzled looks on their faces don't even compare with their looks of astonishment after I ring that plate all six times ;-)

The sight practically disappears, all you see is the dot.
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/01/2013 4:41 PM

Like others have mentioned, I too have been pleased with the MatchDot II. I have it mounted on a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in .44 Mag. and it's an ideal sight for whitetail in the woods. Getting one for a Mark III specifically for squirrel hunting. The Ultra Dot has proven effective and I know I'll be getting more.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/01/2013 5:55 PM

Thanks for the info guys.
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/01/2013 11:43 PM

Ive had my ultradot for a few months and i love it. Its great and will accompany me to africa in a month. It has withstood almost a thousand full power 454 rounds without blinking
Posted By: Seasons44

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/02/2013 12:15 AM

I shot my pig a few months back with the Ultra Dot LT on Whit's 500 JRH BFR really liked the dot size and had zero starburst effect. Don't think you could go wrong with either the tube or there reflex style sight.

Originally Posted By: tradmark
Ive had my ultradot for a few months and i love it. Its great and will accompany me to africa in a month. It has withstood almost a thousand full power 454 rounds without blinking

Good Luck on your trip what's on the hit list?

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/02/2013 7:57 AM

That Ultra Dot L/T is a reflex sight isn't it?

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/02/2013 11:15 AM

That Ultra Dot L/T is a reflex sight isn't it?

Yes, and it's small. The PAN-A-V is also reflexive but larger.
Posted By: wapitirod

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/02/2013 11:17 AM

I had a pan-a-v on one of my AK's and loved it.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/02/2013 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: wapitirod
I had a pan-a-v on one of my AK's and loved it.

I have one too and I love it!
Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/02/2013 2:21 PM

I have quite a few different small reflex sights like the Ultra Dot, and it looks a lot like my C-More STS. Looking at the pictures I see a similar on-off switch, and what looks to be the light sensor on the front edge of the sight, just below the lower lense edge. Perhaps one of you with the sight can confirm, but if this is the light sensor, you can actually use tape over the sensor to force the dot dimmer.

My STS is biased more to the brighter side, even with my switch in the auto position, so a little cellophane tape or the blue painter trim tape works well. Folks report being able to dim Delta Points or JPoints with tape, but I have not been able to dim mine, other than trying to tape right over the diode projection area. This is tricky as the dot has to project.

Craig

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/02/2013 2:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Bearbait in NM
I have quite a few different small reflex sights like the Ultra Dot, and it looks a lot like my C-More STS. Looking at the pictures I see a similar on-off switch, and what looks to be the light sensor on the front edge of the sight, just below the lower lense edge. Perhaps one of you with the sight can confirm, but if this is the light sensor, you can actually use tape over the sensor to force the dot dimmer.

Craig

It does indeed have a light sensor, Craig.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/02/2013 2:40 PM

I will give it a whirl.
Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/03/2013 2:49 PM

Thanks Whit. I am starting to think that a lot of the problems we have with dots flaring and what not is mostly related to the brightness bias and base dot size. Having a way to control, albiet not by maker design can be a good thing.

One of the ways I check this issue is point the sight at the blue sky on a bright day. This helps me sort dot flaring v. too high of a brightness bias.

Craig
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/04/2013 8:59 AM

Lioness and cape buffalo
Posted By: S.B.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/05/2013 2:11 AM

Dawn and dusk is where red dot sights really shine asd what they're designed for. Too much brightness is easily controlled by the reostat(bightness oontrol knob) I have the oposite problem they(cheaper ones) disappear in too much daylight. Enjoy, these will make it even more fun. I'vc used one on my whitetail gun for around 10 years now.

Steve

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/05/2013 4:01 PM

That looks good SB.....what model is that?
Posted By: Randominator

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/06/2013 6:02 PM

I have two JPoint reflex sights. One is mounting on a Glock 20, and the other on a custom Ruger. They have worked well for me in low light situations. I had an issue with the one mounted on the Glock, the windage would not adjust. I had bought the sight used, but I sent it to JPoint and they repaired it free of charge.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/06/2013 7:18 PM

Just took the plunge. Ordered a Vortex Razor 3 moa reflex. It wasn't cheap at $398. However, the unconditional transferable lifetime warranty made a difference. I saw some great reviews for it. Well, I hope I made the right decision. Only time will tell.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/06/2013 8:21 PM

Mike.44,
I just researched that razor sight; it look very interesting! It appears it will also mount on a FA mount. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/06/2013 8:39 PM

Will do
Posted By: S.B.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/07/2013 2:56 PM

That looks good SB.....what model is that?

Mike she's a 629-4 Classic.
Steve

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 07/07/2013 4:37 PM

That is sweet. I have a 629 classic 5".
Posted By: TOBY458

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 08/17/2013 5:07 PM

Has anyone tried the Ultradot 25? Was just wondering how it compares to the 30mm as a hunting sight. I would imagine the 30 is better, but it would be nice to not have to use the big 30mm rings.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 08/17/2013 5:13 PM

Originally Posted By: TOBY458
Has anyone tried the Ultradot 25? Was just wondering how it compares to the 30mm as a hunting sight. I would imagine the 30 is better, but it would be nice to not have to use the big 30mm rings.

I have a 25 and really like it. If you sight with both eyes open the diameter of the tube really doesn't matter as FOV is a non-issue.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 08/17/2013 5:47 PM

That's what I was thinking. I may have to try one on my 629. I normally like iron sights, but a red dot seems like a good choice in the dark woods.
Posted By: Seasons44

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 08/17/2013 8:54 PM

I prefer the 30mm, but I have an L/T Ultradot I mounted on my 629 looks good and is great option due to the size and weight, I Shot my pig with the L/T on a BFR 500 JRH worked fantastic

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 08/18/2013 1:17 AM

I just ordered the Ultradot 30 tonight. I also ordered a Weigand scope base. Do the rings that come with the Ultradot hold up well to 44 mag recoil?
Posted By: JD HHI 6092

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 08/18/2013 1:30 AM

Take a look at the Trijicon RMR dual illumination. Doesn't require a battery and it's waterproof. It just automatically like conditions.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 08/18/2013 4:44 AM

I just ordered the Ultradot 30 tonight. I also ordered a Weigand scope base. Do the rings that come with the Ultradot hold up well to 44 mag recoil?

I've used them on a .500 JRH BFR and had no issues with the rings. The .44 should be fine.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 08/18/2013 1:53 PM

Glad to hear that. Because I also have a Freedom Arms 454 that it may end up on. How does the 500 JRH compare in recoil to the 454? I've been toying with the idea of a 50 for some time. Was looking into a John Ross 500 S&W. But those x frame guns are a little too bulky for my tastes.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 08/18/2013 2:08 PM

It all depends on how you load it, but my max 296 loads with a 440 grain bullet recoils pretty hard and I think a significant step up over the .454, but not a huge step. I too dislike the bulkiness of the X-frame and got rid of mine for that reason. The BFR is significantly hefty to negate some of that recoil. I've shot the same heavy .500 JRH loads in a friend's custom Blackhawk and they were considerably harsher.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 08/18/2013 2:13 PM

At looking at the pictures, it seems the BFR's are nicely fit and finished guns. Some of the ones I looked at when they first came out were a little rough. I may have to see if I can find one of those and give it a try.

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 10/16/2013 5:18 AM

I shot the vortex razor today and last week. Wow, is it nice. I can vouch for their warranty too. LOL. While mounting it I stood up to get a soda and bumped the table.....you know what happened next. Yeap, on the concrete floor right on the upper frame. Can you say spider web? Mailed it back with a note admitting my having a few extra thumbs. No questions asked. New one back to me within a week.
I also picked up an Ultradot 30 for my BFR .500 JRH for when it gets back from Jack and his handiwork. Think I will get another one for my Bisley SS .45 convertible as well. But I just wanted to give you an update and thank you all again.
Muzzleloader starts this weekend and I hope to get a shot with my Optima pistol. Hope everyone is doing well.
Posted By: Jeff686

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 10/18/2013 8:29 PM

Anyone have experience with a Millet tube red dot? It's cheaper by far, but seems to have strong reviews and it is a 30mm 1x5 MOA with 11 brightness settings.
Posted By: 7P's

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 10/19/2013 5:28 PM

I've been toying with the idea of a 50 for some time. Was looking into a John Ross 500 S&W. But those x frame guns are a little too bulky for my tastes.

Yes, the X-Frame is a tad bulky, but all 50's are just a tad larger than what most have been use to shooting.

That JR 500S&W is a fine revolver. I and another JR owner had to ream our charge holes out, as they were undersized. I also had a cylinder gap problem but after fixing that, the JR is one nice revolver.

If you have any desire to shoot 500 to 650 grain cast loads at 60K/70K psi, I think the X-Frame will suit your needs very well. If you have no desire for that level of discomfort, then the 500JRH should provide the scratch for that 50 itch.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Low Light Red Dot - 10/19/2013 7:10 PM

Problem I have with red dots that self adjust to ambient light conditions is that when I'm under a heavily leafed tree or inside a ground blind when its sunny outside the dot all but disappears as it dims itself down. Other then that I have had great success with my Burris fast fire II. Have ordered an ultra dot for my BFR 4570. Waiting to mount it when it arrives and to test it out.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums