Handgunhunt

Blind Hog

Posted By: SChunter

Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 4:05 AM

On the board for 2013...finally

I had just remarked to a buddy today that although NC had been in for a month (bow and muzzleloader), and my SC tracts had been in for a month and a half (bow and gun), I had logged exactly 2 hunts in the tree, and those happened to be opening day of bow season. Work and life has had me preoccupied, and although good on all fronts, left me woefully unprepared for a deer/hog season that was passing me by...easily the most unprepared in the last (gulp) 25 years of hunting. Now before we go shedding too many tears, I've caught some great red drum, killed my first gator, okay, I'll stop the whining.

I found myself hustling home this afternoon on a windy, but clear day after 2 days of high winds and steady rain. Wind was 15-20 out of the N - A little more blustery than I would choose, but better than doin' paperwork or chores at the house, right? Showered up, camoed up, and decided to run to a pine plantation close to the house. I figured the pines would be a good refuge from the high winds, and deer may move through there more readily than the hardwoods in the wind. Given the proximity to neighborhoods and development, the choice was easy - the SSK Whisper. Combined with the YHM Ti can, the 208gr AMax's are silly quiet. Just a loud whoosh. Topped with the Burris 2x7 Ballistic Plex, I have it sighted in for 50 yards, and drops out to 150. Wicked fun.

Easing down the lane towards my stand, I had convinced myself that a big nanny was in serious trouble this evening. My lack of time in the woods had me seeing red, and I had converted most of my loins and roasts to jerky in the offseason. I had just about turned the corner to head the last piece to my stand when I spotted something brown through the brush - is that a deer up the road? I grabbed my bino's and pulled them up, just as he brought his head up. Scrap the doe plans!

But wait - the gun was unloaded, in a soft case, suppressor off, etc...I waited until he dropped his head, I dropped down out of view, readied my gun/ammo/suppressor, and belly-crawled towards the roadbed for a clear(er) view at the deer. Rested across my pack, I judged the distance at approximately 100 yards - 2nd hash on the reticle. Now just to wait for a clear shot. Brush, weeds, more brush, ugh. 5 minutes later, quartering to, head down...squeeeeeeezzzzzze. Whoosh, WHOMP. Deer down!

Distance - 96 yards; 208 gr Hornady Amax out of the SSK Whisper

10" brow on one side, 6" brow on the other with a 2" sticker; 12" G2's, 9 and 11" G3's - 180 lbs...great deer for coastal SC, and a heck of a way to start the 2013 season!
Posted By: mike.44

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 6:29 AM

Awesome deer and great report. I guess backstrap for dinner?
Posted By: Boot

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 9:32 AM

Great story, awesome deer!!! Congratulations!!! I'm a little jealous, our season don't open til the 19th.
Posted By: gasixgunner

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 10:11 AM

Great deer ! Way to go buddy.
Posted By: bigbore442001

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 11:40 AM

Beautiful animal. I sincerely wished we could use suppressors up here.
Posted By: GlennS

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 12:16 PM

That's a great one buddy! Some days, its just meant to be.
Posted By: tyler.woodard04

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 12:32 PM

very cool. what kind of terminal performance did you see?
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 12:33 PM

Fantastic buck especialy with a handgun!

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: tyler.woodard04
very cool. what kind of terminal performance did you see?

Tyler - buck was quartering to, entered at shoulder junction and exited just before ham on opposite side. Broke him down RT. Big long bullet tumbled all the way through. Yuck.
Posted By: tyler.woodard04

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 1:16 PM

yuck but thats good penetration and a 208 a max is fairly long so that tumbling makes for a huge channel im sure. just goes to prove you dont need the high velocity high energy impacts to get the job done. whats your muzzle velocity?
Posted By: Seasons44

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 1:36 PM

Hell of a way to start the season, Congrats on a fantastic buck, great character, are you mounting him?

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 1:37 PM

Factory Whisper ammo - haven't chronoed it outta this barrel, but listed at 1020 fps on the box.

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 1:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Seasons44
Hell of a way to start the season, Congrats on a fantastic buck, great character, are you mounting him?

Thanks! Yep - sent pics to the taxidermist last evening!
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 2:00 PM

AWESOME!!! Nice job! Can't wait to get my crack at one in a couple weeks.
Posted By: Russell

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 2:41 PM

Congrats!! That's a NICE buck!
Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 3:36 PM

Beuatiful buck, and wonderful gun. I got into the 300 Blackout this summer, but mine is a Rifle, and AR no less. No suppressor either. I am jealous......

Craig
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 4:14 PM

That is a hell of a buck buddy! Jennifer really likes that whisper you've got. She talks about how cool it was to shoot it on last years forum hunt. I plan of getting on the "kill" board on Saturday.

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 4:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Bearbait in NM
Beuatiful buck, and wonderful gun. I got into the 300 Blackout this summer, but mine is a Rifle, and AR no less. No suppressor either. I am jealous......

Craig

Thanks Craig! I started with the Whisper Tender when my Suppressor was in the works, then got an SBR, then a bolt Remmy...awful sickness. You're welcome to come play with my toys whenever you make it back to East Coast.

David - good luck with the NC Opener! I'm committed elsewhere, and not happy about it. Stupid big boar on trail cam, in daylight
\:\(
Posted By: 24mileboy

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 7:08 PM

Nice!
Posted By: irishthunder50

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 8:08 PM

Beautiful animal and beautiful rig. Makes this wait to the opener seem ever long for me. First weekend of november I hope to have a deer down with my Glock 20
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 10:48 PM

The "Quiet Killer" strikes again....
Now that your running around with suppressed pistols I figure that the title of "Dixie Hit Man" fits perfectly. By the way, what are your prices??
Posted By: Darrell H

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 10:54 PM

Great buck Dur, congrats! Those are some unbelievable brow tines! The Whisper is a cool-looking rig...I need to shoot that one.
Posted By: junebug

Re: Blind Hog - 10/10/2013 11:25 PM

That ain't even fair! I have to wait till mid Nov. to get the pistols out. [NICE BUCK] I will get to try out my 6.5 Rem mag Competitor then,and the Ruger .480

Re: Blind Hog - 10/11/2013 1:47 AM

Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
The "Quiet Killer" strikes again....
Now that your running around with suppressed pistols I figure that the title of "Dixie Hit Man" fits perfectly. By the way, what are your prices??

Nah... FoxTail Drive Hitman!

Re: Blind Hog - 10/11/2013 2:08 AM

James - the deer and hog eradication services are free and you're welcome anytime. Glenn, your invite is in question...
\:\/

Re: Blind Hog - 10/11/2013 2:22 AM

Hahahahahaha
Posted By: mike.44

Re: Blind Hog - 10/11/2013 5:52 AM

8 days until ML starts here. Hope I can do some good.
Posted By: G19

Re: Blind Hog - 10/13/2013 6:30 PM

Nice buck and a nice rig as well.
Posted By: Sigforall

Re: Blind Hog - 10/13/2013 10:21 PM

Great deer!

Nice rig.
Posted By: minnesotahunter

Re: Blind Hog - 10/14/2013 4:28 PM

Love that buck! Good job.

Will make an awesome mount.

MN
Posted By: KRal

Re: Blind Hog - 10/18/2013 4:23 PM

Show-off!
;\)
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Blind Hog - 10/19/2013 6:54 PM

Darn nice buck SC. I'm waiting for my tax stamps to come in. I hate coming to this site. It keeps making me spend money. Grrrrrrrr. I'm having my 223 contender threaded. Y
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums