Handgunhunt

On Line Handgun Hunting Article

Posted By: MIHunter

On Line Handgun Hunting Article - 12/17/2013 3:22 AM

I found this article on line and thought some of you might like to read it.

http://www.buckmasters.com/hunting-handgun-hall-of-fame.aspx
Posted By: TM

Re: On Line Handgun Hunting Article - 12/17/2013 3:12 PM

Somebody goofed, it says the author shot his first mule deer with a Ruger Super Blackhawk while it clearly shows a Smith & Wesson directly above that statement.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: On Line Handgun Hunting Article - 12/17/2013 9:36 PM

Clair Rees is only a very small part time handgunner. Many guys on this site have far more experience than he ever will.
Posted By: Gary

Re: On Line Handgun Hunting Article - 12/17/2013 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: wvhitman
Clair Rees is only a very small part time handgunner. Many guys on this site have far more experience than he ever will.
I agree totally.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: On Line Handgun Hunting Article - 12/18/2013 12:08 AM

My issue was his opinion of:
"Both the XP-100 and Stryker are now discontinued, leaving the bolt-action pistol field to Weatherby’s excellent Mark V CFP (Compact Firing Platform)."

"Excellent???"
Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Re: On Line Handgun Hunting Article - 12/18/2013 12:38 AM

yes Ernie, excellent ;^) I think the article was published in 2007, and I am not completely certain that the Weatherby's were still available then.

Speaking of Weatherby pistols, a very long time ago I was terribly smitten by a cased set at a gun shop in Colorado. This must have been in the early 90's. They were a matched set in what I think I remember was 300W and 224W. I think these predated the CFP. I remember thinking they must have been a custom from Weatherby, starting life as pistols as cutting a rifle back is a no no. Beautiful wood, lovely case, and a very serious price tag. That was way above my Contender at the time pay grade.......

Craig
Posted By: Gary

Re: On Line Handgun Hunting Article - 12/18/2013 1:00 AM

There have been a couple similar articles in F&S and Petersen's in the past year and many of the guns they list are laughable.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: On Line Handgun Hunting Article - 12/18/2013 1:40 AM

Does Weatherby even still make the CFP?
Posted By: Ernie

Re: On Line Handgun Hunting Article - 12/18/2013 2:56 AM

Not sure.
Their first SP was good/decent from the reports I have heard but he recent ones were laughable in terms of accuracy, especially considering what they thought they were worth.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: On Line Handgun Hunting Article - 12/18/2013 3:27 AM

The caliber selection was also lacking, come to think of it. You could only get it in 223, 22-250, 243, and 7mm-08.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums