Handgunhunt

Who does T/C use to make their Custom Barrels?

Posted By: Insp Callahan

Who does T/C use to make their Custom Barrels? - 01/05/2014 4:42 PM

I am assuming they are not made in-house, which I doubt. Does anyone know where they are/were made?

Thanks!
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Who does T/C use to make their Custom Barrels? - 01/05/2014 5:34 PM

I thought S&W acquired T/C because of their barrel making expertise.
Posted By: KYODE

Re: Who does T/C use to make their Custom Barrels? - 01/05/2014 5:45 PM

T/C does not or did not make a TRUE custom barrel. those are made by Bullberry, SSK, and Match Grade Machine(MGM). they have tighter chambers and MANY more options available in chamber, throat, twist, and overall barrel design etc.

Fox ridge outfitters was T/C's "custom shop". you had a few extra chambering choices, choices of length, matte or gloss, and TC's hunter brake or not. that's about it.

Re: Who does T/C use to make their Custom Barrels? - 01/08/2014 4:00 AM

I guess I should rephrase. Who did Fox Ridge use for CUSTOM barrel orders, when one ordered from the T/C Custom Shop (FRO)? Like I said, I highly doubt T/C manufactured those barrels (the custom ones).

S&W did acquire T/C for their barrel making expertise to launch a new rifle, the Icon. While T/C had barrel making capability, I thought it was only for the production grade barrels, such as on factory original contenders and rifles, etc.

Thanks!
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Who does T/C use to make their Custom Barrels? - 01/08/2014 4:25 AM

FRO was simply an outlet for the T/C Custom Shop. The barrels came from the same stock as their production line with more options for length, chambering and finish. They did advertise that "meticulous" care was given to the crowning process and that each blank was "hand selected".

You can get the same service from EA Brown & Co
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Who does T/C use to make their Custom Barrels? - 01/08/2014 8:36 PM

The main difference was that TC's CS did their chambers on a lath and TC was notorious for using a drill press for the chambering process, or at least one point in time. IMHO, the TC CS was a little better barrel. They were hand made, unlike there production counterparts.

I was lucky enough to know 3 of the CS gents. Great guys. They were all older machinists who had 25-30+ years at TC. From what I can gather, they had all retired by the time TC's plant moved.

Duane.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Who does T/C use to make their Custom Barrels? - 01/09/2014 12:23 AM

I have a Fox Ridge barrel that was done on a Douglas blank in 2003. They had two choices for 6.5MM bores. 1:8 or 1:9. Mine got the 1:8 because they were going to have to wait on a 1:9 till Douglas ran a batch. It worked out for the best though. Doug at Fox Ridge said it was normal on the 6.5MM blanks to use the Douglas. It could have been a caliber issue that they didn't make in house. reflex264

Re: Who does T/C use to make their Custom Barrels? - 01/09/2014 5:19 AM

I had a 12" heavy taper high polish barrel (44Mag) done by FRO several years ago and it was a beautiful barrel. I have thought of getting another in a different caliber, but wanted an equally high quality barrel in high polish blue, so I guess my options are now Bullberry and MGM.

Now all I have to do is decide which caliber....!

[img]http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp63272%3Enu%3D3879%3E%3B9%3A%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D328%3B%3B%3B%3A49%3B34%3Bnu0mrj[/img]

IC
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Who does T/C use to make their Custom Barrels? - 01/09/2014 1:53 PM

Reflex, you may be correct on the caliber, I don't know. It could have even been the year. However, I do know that the CS made he barrels in house by hand.

There are a few barrel makers out there that do a wonderful job. Don't forget JD Jones with SSK.

Duane
Posted By: Mad Dog 1954

Re: Who does T/C use to make their Custom Barrels? - 01/10/2014 4:14 PM

My MGM 460 barrel will not eject factory ammo any ideas
Posted By: Carpe Diem

Re: Who does T/C use to make their Custom Barrels? - 01/12/2014 4:11 AM

Send it back to MGM. For the cost of the custom barrel it should function every time on a rimmed case. BTW you may get more and better responses if you simply started your own thread instead of 'jacking this one.

© 2024 Handgunhunt forums