Handgunhunt

LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer?

Posted By: Big Todd

LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/28/2014 11:04 PM

What's everyones favorite a LBT style hard cast with a wide metplat or a jacketed HP like XTP or Nosler?
Posted By: Dave Tarbell

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/28/2014 11:10 PM

For deer a jacketed HP.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/28/2014 11:19 PM

For deer, I really like a 240 gr. Starfire or Gold dot HP in my 44 Mag
Posted By: nuclearweasel

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/29/2014 12:32 AM

210 grain xtp in the .41 mag for deer and pigs.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/29/2014 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave Tarbell
For deer a jacketed HP.

What he said ^
Posted By: GlennS

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/29/2014 3:12 AM

Haha, THE question
\:\)

Like most, I've used both and personally like the 240 XTP and the 270 Gold Dot. BUT, I'm liking the woodleigh weldcore design. Jacketed that has profile of a WFN. I haven't checked to see what they make in the standard calipers but I'm getting some for the 50 Alaskan to see how they shoot in my gun. Neat design tough and after seeing the ones James recovered, I gotta try them.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/29/2014 3:29 AM

I use both but feel that deer are the perfect game for jacketed expanding bullets.

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/29/2014 3:42 AM

Quote:
Jacketed that has profile of a WFN.

Interesting. Do they make a .452"er?

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/29/2014 3:49 AM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:
Jacketed that has profile of a WFN.

Interesting. Do they make a .452"er?

Smallest I can find is a .500 like James used then the 500 grain .510 for the Alaskan. Maybe Franchise or one of the others may know for sure. It's a great looking bullet!
Posted By: gary40

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/29/2014 5:03 AM

I like honady xtp or nosler 240grain in my 44mag
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/29/2014 12:30 PM

I use jacketed hollowpoints, specifically the 240 grain XTP-Magnum out of my 460.
Posted By: 500WE

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/29/2014 12:45 PM

Geez, I've never seen this question asked before
... make mine a 240 gr. JHP in 44, a 250 JHP in .45 or a 210 JHP in .41.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/29/2014 1:32 PM

Woodleigh makes a 280 gr. for the 44 & a 405 gr. for the 45/70 & 450 Marlin. You will have to order the 44 bullets directly from Woodleigh in Australia.

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/29/2014 5:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Franchise
Woodleigh makes a 280 gr. for the 44 & a 405 gr. for the 45/70 & 450 Marlin. You will have to order the 44 bullets directly from Woodleigh in Australia.

Is that a difficult process? I'll shoot you a PM Thanks!
Posted By: SChunter

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/29/2014 7:55 PM

Originally Posted By: 500WE

Sounds good here as well with slight modification - the Casull gets 260 grainers and kinda fond of the 200gr JHP in the 44 too.
Posted By: bluecow

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/29/2014 11:16 PM

500WE my first thought on seeing this post was oh no not again ( lets keep it civil ) i like 240 gr hard cast, then thats what i use for everything

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/29/2014 11:55 PM

Quote:
first thought on seeing this post was oh no not again

Haha, Me2. But I think because the question was asked not what is better, but rather what is your favorite the answers have been rather civil.
;\)
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/30/2014 12:35 AM

I don't have a horse in this race because I haven't taken anything with a hardcast yet. But what I have taken with the jacketed bullets never went very far.
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/30/2014 1:14 AM

For deer I would lean toward a GOOD JHP. But I don't get to hunt deer :-(
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/30/2014 2:10 AM

Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
I don't have a horse in this race because I haven't taken anything with a hardcast yet. But what I have taken with the jacketed bullets never went very far.

same here. Haven't killed anything with HC yet. but ive killed a couple bears and a deer with 45 colt and 260gr partitions... results were excellent.
Posted By: 500WE

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/30/2014 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: SChunter

Sounds good here as well with slight modification - the Casull gets 260 grainers and kinda fond of the 200gr JHP in the 44 too.

Yep. I've used both weights,and the 300's too, of course. The Speer 200 gr. Magnum JHP kills deer like a thunderbolt. The plain truth is that any .44 or .45 bullet, cast or jacketed, will kill deer, given proper velocity and placement. You can pretty much run what ya brung, but most of us do have favorites ... based on something or other.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/30/2014 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: SChunter

Yep. I've used both weights,and the 300's too, of course. The Speer 200 gr. Magnum JHP kills deer like a thunderbolt. The plain truth is that any .44 or .45 bullet, cast or jacketed, will kill deer, given proper velocity and placement. You can pretty much run what ya brung, but most of us do have favorites ... based on something or other.

Well said!

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/30/2014 1:17 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys! Looks pretty one sided in favor of jacketed. That's kind of the way I was leaning too. Thanks again!

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/30/2014 1:56 PM

You could always throw the soft cast hollow point or solid slugs in just to make it interesting. I've been VERY impressed with performance so far
\:\)

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/30/2014 2:48 PM

I have been looking at the Buffalo Bore Deer Grenade with a lot if interest. Anyone have any experience with these?

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/30/2014 5:01 PM

Ive looked at them on the web site and was kind of interested in them myself,pretty much what GlennS was describing.

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/30/2014 9:09 PM

Wow, he's running those hard out of the sixguns! I haven't seen those. I think the ones that Dick sent me are about 8-9 as far as hardness goes. But I don't run them near as hard as Tim is pushing them. I start them out about 1200 or less with the mixture Dick cast these from that I've been using. But as Dick has posted, you change the alloy composition to fit the velocity that you want to run. So, I'd say that the BB loads and hardness are probably about right. They should work really well.
Posted By: RedSS

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/31/2014 6:03 AM

Truth be told, deer are not very difficult critters to kill. Push your favorite FN cast or JHP bullet to an acceptable speed in it's performance window, and put it where it needs to go. A good cast bullet through the boiler room will kill deer just as dead as a good JHP. Currently, I shoot a 260 gr. JHP out of my .454 and have been completely satisfied with the results in the last 6 seasons. No sense in changing something that works, I suppose.

I've harvested my share in the pre-handgun days with everything from Foster-style and later, Barnes Expander slugs in a 12-ga., to patched round balls, 350 gr. conicals, 240 gr. .44 XTP pistol bullets, Hornady SSTs, and Knight all-copper bullets in the .50 cal. muzzleloaders.

I just prefer something that makes a large hole in, and a large hole out, and a bullet that's stout enough to punch through a shoulder blade should you only have a quartering-towards shot.
Posted By: cottonstalk

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/31/2014 3:47 PM

Either will work in proper place. I like the partition bullets,it is a shame they were discontinued, although critters have appreciated it.
Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/31/2014 5:05 PM

Big and Dave,

You can get the "deer grenade" bullets as components from Rim Rock bullets. I have some that have yet to be tested. They are supposedly the ones used by BB.

Craig

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/31/2014 5:34 PM

I will say that with my limited real experience on real critters the hardcast work best where they can break bone (shoulder shot) while the HP's are at their best with soft tissue (chest cavity) shots.
I killed my moose this year with my (I hate to say it) Marlin Guide Gun in 450 Marlin with 420gr hardcast at about 1900fps. 1st shot right through the lungs. He flinched but never quit walking.. downhill... away from the road... He was dead & didn't know it (moose are like that) but I didn't want a longer packing job so I hit him again in the high shoulder. It was like you hit him with a lightning bolt. Down without a step.

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/31/2014 6:17 PM

Congrats on the moose and thanks for the input.

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/31/2014 6:26 PM

Im not sure where to get the bullets as components,they are just 240 gr cast hp with a 12 bhn hardness.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/31/2014 7:33 PM

I have used jacketed hollow point bullets on all the deer I`ve handgunned. On a mule deer I took last Nov. I shot a handload with a 210gr Swift A-frame bullet that`s still going....

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/31/2014 8:48 PM

Thanks for your input James it is very much appreciated.

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 01/31/2014 10:00 PM

Well I just ordered a box of Double Taps 300gr. Nosler hollow pts. to try. I'll see how they shoot and start narrowing down from there. Thanks again for all the replies and input.
Posted By: Mikewin

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 02/01/2014 2:09 PM

Good luck with the Noslers. They're known as very fine bullets. Though pretty pricey. In my limited expericence, the 300gr XTP (in .44 mag) will kill any deer around nicely and cleanly. And if Whitworth considers deer a kind of game worthy of jacketed bullets one should probably listen to him...;-)
Posted By: MOHunter

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 02/01/2014 9:21 PM

I have had good luck with the Federal 158 fusion in .357 mag. out of 10" contender.
Posted By: dvan

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 02/02/2014 6:12 AM

I like the HP's in 210 grain Hornady XTP's or Speer's Deep Curl for the .41 Remington Magnum..get good groups with both from my 14 inch T/C Contender
Posted By: sw282

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 02/02/2014 3:19 PM

l handgun hunted in late 70's,early 80's with an 8'' Smith 44mag after getting into IHMSA silh shooting.. 0ver app 3 yrs l killed 6 whitetail with the gun..All were killed with 180gr jhp ammo..l think all were 1 shot kills and l dont remember seeing any recovered bullets..

A couple yrs ago l started shooting IHMSA again. Around Christmas past l bought myself a s&w PC Hunter in 44 mag w/reddot scope..At 67 my old eye can use a little help...l had hoped to be in the woods during my Christmas break,wife ill and daughter visiting put that off.. This year l will be shooting my new reddot SW 44 at our monthly silh shoots and come doe season will be in the woods..

My bullet will be a 180gr jhp

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 02/02/2014 6:51 PM

Hey sw282, NEVER too old! Got pics of that PC Hunter? I love some of the PC 44s!
Posted By: sw282

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 02/02/2014 7:54 PM

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/s...playErrorView_Y

Here it is Vance....The Reddot is a Leepers l think..From the factory...$36 @ midwayUSA....My first experience with a reddot of any kind..After 260rds thru the gun it has not moved...My wife got me a little Bushnell 25 for Christmas.. The optics are MUCH clearer thru the Bushnell..l just cant understand why the factory put such a cheap site on it.. Kinda like putting a Tasco on a Jarrett Rifle

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 02/02/2014 10:25 PM

Beautiful gun! You do a
have to wonder on their red dot selection! But, hey it's working :-)
Posted By: MrMcPorkchop

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 02/17/2014 2:33 AM

I've always had good penetration with LBT style bullets. For deer I'm sure the controlled expansion JHP's would work well, but where I hunt you also have the chance for black bear, so I just stick with my hard cast LBT's just in case I run into a large bear. For the pigs here, the 320gr hard cast LBT style bullets at 1150 fps punched through both shoulders of both pigs and went right out the other side, 2 shots and 2 hogs. Both pigs went down in < 20 yds of where shot. Photo is about 10 years old, I don't have a good photo of any more recent pigs with my handgun.

Big Bore Sixgun For Hogs by Mr. McPorkchop!, on Flickr
Posted By: BINGO

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 03/15/2014 3:00 AM

Hard cast! I've no problem w/most JFP's. I've used Sierra 300, Speer 270 & 300, Cor-bon Bonded Core(all of them), Nosler Partition Gold (not really a flat point). The problem is they don't do anything any better than a hard cast. Hollow points I've used XTP's, Remington 275's, & Winchester 265's. The XTP failed & I'll never use them again. If I had to use jacketed for deer it would be the Sierra 300. Never used the Swift A-Frames but they should be like the Partitions. Hard cast work predictably every time, every angle. Years ago this debate was taken up in an article between Sheriff Jim Wilson & Dick Metcalf. Metcalf advocated jacketed but I never liked him.
Posted By: MrMcPorkchop

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 03/15/2014 10:41 PM

I've seen gel tests and real world animal tests, and you can get 36"s of penetration with a hard cast in a .44mag at pistol velocities. It kind of negates arguing which JHP will penetrate further than another JHP. If you use an appropriate weight JHP it will likely penetrate as much as you would need it to, while opening up some and killing your intended game. But when you are presented with a less than ideal shot angle, or when you are potentially shooting at a mean nasty animal that is coming for you, its nice to know you can just about figure double the JHP penetration with a hard cast bullet, and don't have to worry about jacket separation or what will happen if you center a large bone. My 320gr hard cast bullets in my .45 Colt will penetrate a deer length wise if they will punch .452" diameter holes through both shoulders of a hog and still be buried 18"s into the dirt bank behind the pigs. If all I shot were deer, then yeah an appropriate weight JHP will work fine. But its nice to have one load that will stop deer, pigs, bears, with reliable penetration from any angle.
Posted By: SEAK

Re: LBT style or Jacketed HP for deer? - 03/16/2014 7:16 AM

Living in bear country I use HC for everything,why take a chance.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums