Handgunhunt

Do you bring a second gun on your hunt?

Posted By: Andyhunter

Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 12:20 AM

I was talking to a hunting buddy and he thinks that I am crazy for bringing a second contender with us on our elk hunt, just in case one fails during our hunt. He thinks I should just bring another 375 jdj barrel with me, instead of a whole other gun. The problem is that I only have one 375 barrel, so I'm bringing a complete 357 Herrett contender pistol as a backup. What does everyone else do when they go on a big hunt?
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 12:49 AM

Better to be safe than sorry, when it comes to big handguns things break.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 12:49 AM

If I am traveling to hunt, I always bring two guns.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 12:57 AM

I've never brought a second gun while travelling to hunt, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. I was rifle hunting, anyway.

I've heard of bowhunters that take a back up bow with them on their hunts, so it wouldn't be that unusual to take two handguns.
Posted By: Dan B.

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 1:01 AM

Abso-flippin-lutely!!! I carry two guns when I'm deer hunting close to home.

I have a .375JDJ that may be to be bought if you are looking for another one to take along.
Posted By: LABRAT

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 1:02 AM

at least one and sometimes two. i would feel sick if i was away from home and something happened to my one hunting tool, with a safe full back home.
Posted By: dogsbreath

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 1:08 AM

I live in a low crime area. Out in the country were there are lots of armed folks. (N. Georgia) I carry a gun and a back up when I go out to pee if I'm dressed. If not dressed, just a primary.
When hunting, I'll usually carry a short range pistol and have a long range pistol with me. I might also have a 9mm on the hip (yotes) and, if the cloths I have on have pockets, a .380 in the back right.
So, to answer the op, do I carry dupe of the primary? No. But I carry what I can. I prefer open end/box end wrenches to an adjustable wrench. But I understand when an adjustable is the right tool. But if I can carry more tools to do any job that might come up, I will.
But that's just me. I don't carry in the shower.

db
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 1:12 AM

My 45 Colt Bisley is on my belt any time I hunt. I may augment it with another platform, like my Contender or Striker, if the circumstance dictates but not another revolver.
Posted By: whywait

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 1:17 AM

For local hunts I carry a revolver for short range and usually a single shot for longer ranges. I always carry more than one on out of state hunts but not the same caliber.
Posted By: Gary

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 1:47 AM

Definitely take two. If I was only going to take one of something it would be the barrel and scope. I would always have a 2nd frame if I was using a contender.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 2:06 AM

I always have two also. Last year is was the Colt Anaconda in 45 Colt and the TC Pro Hunter in 460 S&W. This year, it will be the Ruger Bisley SBHH in 45 Colt, and the 500 JRH. HOWEVER, the 460 will still be in the backpack in case I come across a long distance shot.

ALWAYS take more than one of any weapon. Stuck on a hunt with a broken weapon means you went on a photography safari, not a hunt.
Posted By: Zee

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 2:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Franchise
If I am traveling to hunt, I always bring two guns.

This.
Posted By: WiseGuy

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 2:38 AM

I carry two hunting close to home and normally 3-4 when traveling. I have a hard time making up my mind on which to shoot....LOL!!!
Posted By: KRal

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 2:54 AM

I always have more than one, no matter where I'm hunting.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 4:19 AM

Yes
Posted By: austingwendell

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 5:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Andyhunter
I was talking to a hunting buddy and he thinks that I am crazy for bringing a second contender with us on our elk hunt, just in case one fails during our hunt. He thinks I should just bring another 375 jdj barrel with me, instead of a whole other gun. The problem is that I only have one 375 barrel, so I'm bringing a complete 357 Herrett contender pistol as a backup. What does everyone else do when they go on a big hunt?

Having a backup is always a better option, I believe.
Posted By: SEAK

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 5:25 AM

I don't but I'm always within twenty miles of home,its a small island
Posted By: dvan

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 5:53 AM

I as well always take two with me especially if I am traveling and sometimes when I am just hunting locally. My hunting buddy does the same and especially when we are bow hunting because we can't share bows; he is a lefty. I believe in Murphy's Law, you spend a lot of time and money in prepping for a hunt/trip and how much space does it actually take up in the scheme of things of how much stuff is packed. It seems that the only thing I haven't taken with me is the kitchen and bathroom with me and sometimes I wish I had taken those as well. I would take whatever satisfies that little voice in the back of your head you never know your hunting partner may have to borrow your back up. Have a good hunt.
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 12:24 PM

Well, here's a real life story of two guns. In 2010 while hunting the 2010 HHI antelope hunt I was darn glad to have brought a second gun. I had dreamed of taking a lope with my 6.5 JDJ. One of the biggest reasons I purchased that caliber. While on the hunt things went very wrong with my loads. Don't know if it was the powder or what. But I couldn't hit the broads side if the barn. I took that gun to colorado on several handgun prairie dog hunts and had no problems. Well to say the least I missed on a very nice lope. Switched to my 7mm08. It was dead on and scored a very nice lope. It wouldn't have turned out to be my dream hunt had it not been for my back up gun. I have for the past 20 some years carried both a wheel gun and my contender in 6.5 on all my hunts. Sometimes varying the caliber of the contender but always having 2.
Posted By: Mad Dog 1954

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 1:47 PM

This year will be my first handgun hunt but the past 30 years when deer hunting with a shotgun or rifle I always carried a big bore revolver. I plan to pack my 3" Redhawk this year with my scoped 454
Posted By: junebug

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 1:47 PM

Yes and always because you never know when something will break.
Murphy is alive and well in the hunting fields too!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: TCTex.

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 5:05 PM

Always!

I even usually take an extra side arm...
Posted By: briarhopper

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 6:30 PM

I agree with all of the reasoning above, but I still only carry one firearm, except when carrying a back-up while hunting in grizzly country in Alaska. I just got back from a month in Africa (I was not hunting) and my entire luggage for the month was 1 carry-on weighing just 16 lbs. The same with a month spent in the jungles of Papua New Guinea last year. 1 bag weighing 16 lbs. I get a challenge out of doing the most with the least, but that's just me, I'm a little ... different.
\:\)

Beware the man who shoots only one gun ...
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/25/2014 6:38 PM

Originally Posted By: KRal
I always have more than one, no matter where I'm hunting.

Me too...actually laughable on travel hunts where I drive to the hunt location. It's like all the guns want to take a road trip!
Posted By: MrMcPorkchop

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/26/2014 12:07 AM

It only takes one slip or stumble to fall and bang a scope up pretty bad. I always take at least 1 extra rifle, and always my Blackhawk .45LC or my GP100 .357.
Posted By: billa

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/26/2014 2:37 AM

I normally carry 2 handguns while hunting. A scoped gun (usually a Contender) on a sling and a belt gun - usually a Redhawk 44 magnum for big game or a Contender .410 when hunting small game. When whitetail hunting I draw and carry the belt gun while walking in heavy cover to and from my stand area. While on stand I usually have the belt gun in the cross draw position in case an animal comes in close.

When traveling away from home to hunt I always take a spare gun or 3 with me. I always want to be ready in case a gun fails me. I have loaned a backup gun to a hunting buddy on more than one occasion when their gun has malfunctioned or been damaged by a fall.

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/26/2014 2:45 PM

I carry two when hunting .A scoped gun as primary, and an open sighted .45 colt 4 5/8th Blackhawk or a 5 1/2 in .45 Bisley for 60 yds an under carried crossdraw. When I travel more go, Just call it insurance for the unexpected.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/26/2014 10:06 PM

Two is the way to go....
Posted By: billa

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/27/2014 1:16 AM

Just like SChunter, my guns like to take road trips too. My handgun case needs wheels when I go to camp!
Posted By: bluecow

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/27/2014 12:05 PM

no then i dont travel more than 100 mile or so from the house. if i was to i would but it more than likely be a 16g single barrel shotgun. love to hunt birds you see.
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/27/2014 3:44 PM

S*!t happens! take two! I know at least one friend of mine that did not bring a backup weapon on a bear hunt and ended up regretting it
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/28/2014 12:53 AM

Always bring two if not three.....
Posted By: Andyhunter

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/29/2014 1:02 AM

I agree with everyone! It's also a great reason to buy a new gun! haha
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/29/2014 1:37 PM

Typically, if I am carrying a revolver with an optic as my primary hunting piece, I will have an iron-sighted revolver on my belt. If the optic fails fro some unknown reason, I will still have the means of administering aimed shots.
Posted By: wheelguns

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/29/2014 6:37 PM

I live in western Montana, so when I hunt close to home I only pack one gun. We hike in several miles and have to bone everything out, and pack it out in our backpacks, so there's know way I'm packing anymore weight then I have to.
But when I hunt over in eastern Montana (or anything probably over 150 miles from home) I'll bring two guns, and leave one in the truck for back up. So for what your doing Andy I would must definitely take a second gun.
Posted By: rleprechaun

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 04/29/2014 7:35 PM

Take a second gun. I was Elk hunting in CO last year and the scope quit. Picked up one of my backup guns, checked the zero, and killed an Elk with the backup.
Posted By: sw282

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 05/01/2014 8:01 AM

lf l am flying ..NO..Driving..YES...Flying or driving l always carry a small handgun for protection ..

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 05/02/2014 8:06 PM

The one you carry for protection isn't counted,and dosen't count, its always there!!!!
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 05/02/2014 8:58 PM

Originally Posted By: junebug
Yes and always because you never know when something will break.
Murphy is alive and well in the hunting fields too!!!!!!!!!!!!

X2!

And like Craig said regarding his experience on the HHI Antelope Hunt: I have seen many many of my hunters throughout the years needing to go to their back-up guns for various reasons.
Posted By: sureshot43

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 10/01/2014 8:03 AM

I always take a 2nd gun along. You never know whays gonna happen.
Posted By: csherrill

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 10/01/2014 3:15 PM

I know an older topic but I believe it was John Taffin who wrote about a pair and a spare. Meaning you need a pair and the spare is for when one if the pair needs repaired. I have also read folks saying one can be none and two is one. Be prepared.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 10/01/2014 3:32 PM

I agree. Our squirrel season opened today and I have three handguns in my truck for this evenings hunt.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 10/01/2014 5:04 PM

If I am traveling to hunt, I always bring at least two handguns.
Posted By: Rmagnum1183

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 10/01/2014 11:49 PM

Everyone says bring 2 guns so in case one fails you can salvage your hunt. I carry my Raging judge Scoped in a cross shoulder holster, and I carry my Ruger SR1911 .45 acp in my belt holster. I don't carry my .45 in case my Judge fails, I carry it so in case I get jumped or ambushed by a predator, it is easier to draw a smaller gun from belt holster and rapidly unload 7 shots, then it is to swing the 7 inch barrel scoped from a shoulder holster and pull the 10 pound trigger 6 times.
Posted By: 357 Herrett

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 10/02/2014 1:56 AM

Two guns are better than one. Always be prepared.
Posted By: bstewrat3

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 10/07/2014 12:53 AM

I carry a Contender in 22lr for the squirrels when I am deer hunting.
Posted By: RedSS

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 10/09/2014 4:20 AM

My daily routine involves strapping on a "defensive" handgun. The specifics vary by the day, but it might be anything from a pocket 9mm to a .44M revolver. It is a tool that has one primary use---to protect my life should things get ugly.

To that I add my hunting gun. Whether it is a handgun or long gun, it's a tool that generally has one task---to harvest game.

If I travel more than a short distance to hunt (as in, it's longer than a single-day hunt), I'll take a spare hunting gun along in the case, just to have as a back-up should something happen to the main gun.

Posted By: Jim44

Re: Do you bring a second gun on your hunt? - 10/22/2014 2:03 AM

Always carry two handguns while hunting- even squirrel hunting!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums