Handgunhunt

Dream come true

Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Dream come true - 05/21/2014 9:57 PM

I never thought I`ed see Africa again and then I retired. Lets see how much money can I put together.... the hell with it...I`am going.... My package was a five day hunt for a Cape buff and red hartebeest, two critters I`ve wanted to handgun for a long time.
First day in the field we spot the buff at 70 yards but I took to long getting my scoped 475 from its holster and he was gone. The idea was to use my scoped FA`s 475 from 100 to 50 yards and my iron sight FA`s 500 Wyoming from 50 and under.... The rest of the day was tracking. The next morning was more tracking and then a move to another area where I made a 102yd shot on a bush buck that was quartered toward me. I hit the back leg with a 400gr XTP and he went into the thorns. Come back with tracking dogs. Buck was 30yds inside thicket. Before he could stick the dogs I put two more XTP`s in him.
After a short walk we spot a nyala on the hillside and made 72yd shot off of BogPod PSR with scoped 475 and 400gr XTP`s. A most beautiful African animal... I feel great....
Day three was a washout with rain most of the day of my five day hunt. The clock was ticking....
Day four starts with tracking when we spot two buff in the thick stuff. My God are they big.... One of the trackers lets my PH know they are heading our way. He was quite sure of where they would exit so we set up 40 yards away. I unholstered my open sight 500 confident of making a good shot IF they came out where they were suppose to. A minute after setup he had me turn 180* after a kudu broke out. A minute after that we turned back to our original position because of sounds coming from the thick stuff. My mouth was dry as bone in anticipation. All that was going through my mind was to align the sights, squeeze the trigger and to keep shooting after the first shot. Over and over and over..... Then he steps out as big and black as a steam locomotive. In my hand is an open sight 500WE loaded with 420gr Punch bullets. Some may say its not the perfect choice for one ton of Africa`s meanest. Time slowed at the first shot as I watch his back legs buckle after the hit. As he fell I put two more into him. My next shot, that I clearly remember, was a miss blowing up the dirt five feet in front of the buff from jerking the trigger with the next one hitting home. I reloaded as I watched the buff, who was watching me, try to get to his feet. One more shot to the heart and then another in the front of the chest. The next sound I heard was the famous death bellow that every buff makes before he gives up the ghost.....
Dear God the dugga boy was mine. My emotions were quite visible as I kissed my PH on the cheek..... To say I was a happy handgun hunter would be an understatement.......
Later that evening, while night hunting for duiker I shot a decent warthog with my scoped 475. As we drove up on him the PH said to hit him again and then we climbed down from the truck. For whatever reason, an apprentice PH who was along decided to reach for the hogs tusk and in an instant the critter twisted his head and stuck the young man on the back of his hand. That was a hard lesson to lean but one he will never forget.
Day five had us looking for hartebeest. When we found the first male I took a good look at the terrain they liked and wondered if I would ever get a 100 yard or less shot from my revolver. Made a stalk and was busted by a female. Kept walking down a tree covered hillside and we were spotted by another male before the sticks could be set up. Did not look good for a revolver shot on a hartebeest. Go to another area and spot a lone male from a hilltop. Down we went and walked a good mile or so through the thick stuff. We set up and I make the shot which was 112 yards. If I had known the distance I would have held higher. Anyway the shot breaks his leg where it meets the body and passed low through the brisket. He lay down and after a minute got up and ran for 50 yards where he would lay down again. He kept doing this until the PH got his tracking dog who stopped the animal for a finish shot. Thank God for dogs...
That evening I was able to take a duiker by spotlight which was a most exciting way to handgun hunt.
I wish I could tell you more but this is where my adventure ends. Africa is calling......
Posted By: GlennS

Re: Dream come true - 05/21/2014 10:54 PM

That's awesome buddy!!! I wish a few of us were there with you!
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Dream come true - 05/21/2014 11:15 PM

You my friend are the definition of a handgun hunter. I just wish I could have been over there too!
Posted By: Darrell H

Re: Dream come true - 05/21/2014 11:35 PM

Sounds like an awesome adventure James! Congratulations on the many fine handgun trophies that you took on this trip...in 5 days! Wow!!!
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Dream come true - 05/21/2014 11:36 PM

Sweet! Thank you for sharing James.

Re: Dream come true - 05/21/2014 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: GlennS
That's awesome buddy!!! I wish a few of us were there with you!

So do I.....

Re: Dream come true - 05/21/2014 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Franchise
I just wish I could have been over there too!

So do I....
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Dream come true - 05/21/2014 11:56 PM

LIVING THE DREAM,AWESOME JOB,CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR RETIREMENT.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 12:35 AM

Nothing like Africa to keep the juices flowing and dreams alive. Congrats, friend.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 12:37 AM

James, you are one lucky son of a gun. Awesome job!
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 12:58 AM

Outstanding, James! Great trophies and a great hunt.
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 1:03 AM

I'm happy for you James!
Posted By: cottonstalk

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 1:08 AM

congrats on your trophies,sounds like you made some great memories
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 1:09 AM

That is great!!! I can't wait to get there for Kudu and warthogs. Always wanted to take that trip, and always enjoying reading stories from those who have been.

Great job!!
Posted By: KRal

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 2:25 AM

You are having one awesome retirement, my friend! Congrats! That was a lot of action in five days.
Posted By: dvan

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 2:26 AM

Way to go James. Looks like a very successful hunt.
Posted By: Snyd

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 2:56 AM

Holy Smokes!! THAT is intense! Congrats to you. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Zee

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 3:34 AM

That is exceptional!
Posted By: Gary

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 4:22 AM

Outstanding James!
Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 5:20 AM

Fantastic. Watch that first step off of cloud 9, I here it is a doosey...

Craig
Posted By: SEAK

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 7:04 AM

The boss on the buff is great what a trophy,congrats.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 10:42 AM

James,

Absolutely fantastic! Congratulations on a dream come true...
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 12:26 PM

Outstanding, James!
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 3:18 PM

FANTASTIC!! Very nicely done, James! You have again made us proud!
Posted By: Duke3026

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 3:48 PM

Great job James!
Posted By: Seasons44

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 5:04 PM

Congratulations on a fantastic safari
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 7:42 PM

Wow. Great job and a wonderful hunt. Im so glad ya got to experience it. Thats the kinda thing africa is all about
Posted By: cmnash

Re: Dream come true - 05/22/2014 8:53 PM

Now that is gettin it done! That is a bunch of hunting in 5 days. Congratulations on making some handgun hunting history of your own!
Posted By: TCScout

Re: Dream come true - 05/23/2014 2:44 AM

James... my sincere congratulations.
Posted By: PythonHunter

Re: Dream come true - 05/24/2014 3:11 AM

Congrats James. The retirement would be nice enough, but to celebrate with great trophies on a safari. Awesome!

PH
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: Dream come true - 05/24/2014 4:51 PM

As the others have said already, congratulations on a great hunt!

We are all lucky that we can live vicariously through you guys and learn a lot from your experiences. Great animals, congrats again.

Re: Dream come true - 05/24/2014 7:24 PM

I never thought I would have as many friends in my life as I do here. You guys are the best. Thank you all for your wonderful comments......
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Dream come true - 05/25/2014 4:15 AM

James, you did it. I'm looking forward to seeing the mounts. You know what this means, either an addition to your home or a new home with a trophy room. Congrats Sir. One hell of a hunt.
Posted By: ratgunner

Re: Dream come true - 05/25/2014 1:36 PM

Congrats. What a wonderful "dream come true" hunt.
Posted By: bluecow

Re: Dream come true - 05/26/2014 10:12 AM

thanks for sharing. love it
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Dream come true - 08/23/2014 4:48 PM

Cant believe i didnt comment sooner. Congrats. What a great hunt! I love the story especially the honesty about the pulled follow up shot on the buff. Ive done that before. Boy the adrenalin gets kicking. Thanks for the write up
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums