Handgunhunt

about time to think about this fall. . . .

Posted By: tyler.woodard04

about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/22/2014 11:50 AM

so whats your goals for this hunting season?

Shoot a deer with my .44(shot a doe with .357 last year)
shoot a deer with my .50 ML striker
Posted By: Zee

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/22/2014 12:32 PM

I have 5 handguns I'd like to get a deer or hog with this year. The success or probability of that endeavor remains to be seen.
Posted By: PythonHunter

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/22/2014 1:01 PM

For me it depends on timing of getting a barrel back. If I do, then its to take an antelope with my new to me MOA in .250 Savage. If that doesn't pan out, then I'm going to try to take one iron sights with my Casull in .454. BUT, it all falls second fiddle to taking 3 of my girls out for antelope and making sure that they have a good time and a good opportunity. The rest is all gravy after that.

PH
Posted By: archr610

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/22/2014 1:48 PM

Still looking forward to my first handguned whitetail.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/22/2014 3:11 PM

I have been setting up a hunt and will be guiding a quadraplegic hunter for a mule deer buck. A friend is getting a rifle set up for him whereby the trigger will be pulled when my hunter sucks on a straw, as he has limited hand control. I have plans to build a blind with a wood floor so he can be comfortable in his wheelchair.
Posted By: junebug

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/22/2014 4:34 PM

BUT, it all falls second fiddle to taking 3 of my girls out for antelope and making sure that they have a good time and a good opportunity. The rest is all gravy after that

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: pab1

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/22/2014 5:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter
I have been setting up a hunt and will be guiding a quadraplegic hunter for a mule deer buck. A friend is getting a rifle set up for him whereby the trigger will be pulled when my hunter sucks on a straw, as he has limited hand control. I have plans to build a blind with a wood floor so he can be comfortable in his wheelchair.

That's great Gregg! Let us know how it goes.
Posted By: briarhopper

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/22/2014 5:13 PM

Getting my first deer with my .44 mag, and hopefully also getting a hog in Texas later, also with the afore mentioned .44 mag. Getting my 20yr old son in on his first handgun hun and getting him hooked, and introducing my 13 yr old son to HIS first hunt. BUSY, BUSY
\:\)
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/22/2014 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: archr610
Still looking forward to my first handguned whitetail.

Same here.
Posted By: KRal

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/22/2014 11:10 PM

I have several new irons that need christening: Ruger Old Army, FA 41 Mag, and three old models Rugers. The Old Army and FA will definitely get field time, the old model Rugers were bought for donors, but may get some field time before conversions. I hope to get my first Black Bear this fall and hoping to get drawn for Illinois.
Posted By: bigbore442001

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/23/2014 12:01 AM

This November, I am hoping to take my limit of two whitetail deer with a revolver. I am torn between using a Redhawk Hunter in 44 mag with a 2x Burris scope or a Ruger SRH in 480 with a 3x Tasco 30mm scope.

The other goal is a hunt with Dad. We're still up in the air where to go .
Posted By: Zee

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/23/2014 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: bigbore442001
This November, I am hoping to take my limit of two whitetail deer with a revolver. I am torn between using a Redhawk Hunter in 44 mag with a 2x Burris scope or a Ruger SRH in 480 with a 3x Tasco 30mm scope.

The other goal is a hunt with Dad. We're still up in the air where to go .

2 deer
2 revolvers.

Sounds like the problem is solved. One for each of them.

:-)
Posted By: Badubet

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/23/2014 1:27 AM

One deer and one hog minimum with my 45 Colt Bisley and five months deeper into the line for my 500 conversion. Oh and help both of my sons take a whitetail with long gun.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/23/2014 1:49 AM

Taking WT deer with revolver & single shots & watching my wife kill a few deer with "her" Super Redhawk 44 Mag. Taking a Nilgai Blue Bull in November with my 475/350 Mag using a 400 gr. Hornady XTP & witnessing a swine apocalypse when I hunt with James.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/23/2014 2:13 AM

This past year the "smaller" wheelguns got the bulk of the playing time, with the .357's and .44's taking multiple game, along with the Canned Whisper.

This year, the bigger boomers should get some action - plan on some informal meat reports on the 385 gr Cast HP run moderately out of the 6" gun vs the 275 XPB launched rapidly in the 9" platform.

Test material - Carolina swine and deer
\:\)
Posted By: Odin

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/23/2014 3:30 AM

If I could ever get from under the crush of daily life, I could probably sort out what I'm going to use for whitetail this fall. The choices are either my .475 or Dad's Python.

If I can track him down, the buck I'm aiming for is the same one that I got busted by three days in a row during opening week last season (sometimes the lessons come hard). He's not very big, but he sure is a handsome stud.
Posted By: longhunter

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/23/2014 4:21 AM

I hope to see my grandson take his first deer with a handgun.
Posted By: Coyote50

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/24/2014 12:14 AM

First- decide whether to take the Desert Eagle, Bisley Blackhawk 45, or the new 500 S&W. Then decide if I am going to commit to taking only a handgun this year.
Posted By: csherrill

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/24/2014 2:51 AM

The handgun only is the easy part. I plan on using a handgun any time I have one that fits the legal season. I haven't acquired a muzzleloader option yet, but I am studying it daily. Either way from the opening of gun season its short guns all the way.
Posted By: LABRAT

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/24/2014 3:38 AM

planning on actually using a 357 this year on a deer, then getting my 45 colt superblackhawk hunter back in the action after a season off, then my seville 44 magnum, then my Harton 44 special,the list goes on and on. will probably be doing a lot of testing this year with different bullets as well.oh and i am actually going to be able to help work on the food plots this year. i havent been able to for the last 6 or 7 years due to work.
Posted By: Casull Time

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/24/2014 11:46 AM

Whitetail with my FA .475
Posted By: reflex264

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 07/25/2014 12:29 AM

I have several that need some blood on them. My .44 Sp flat top bisley tops the list. I need to kill something with my Charter 5" .44 Sp as well. Hope to rack up at least 10 handgun deer this season before going hogging in east tn. reflex264

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 11/11/2014 6:04 AM

Originally Posted By: pab1
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter

That's great Gregg! Let us know how it goes.

Got 'er done!!! Praise The Lord for Him making it possible!

Follow-Up:

http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/151855/page/1#Post151855
Posted By: BlackhawkBama

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 11/12/2014 5:10 PM

Getting a hog with my 44mag
Posted By: Jeff686

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 11/14/2014 5:30 PM

That's awesome Gregg!

I have a Keith load worked up that I want to use to christen my 44 RSBH (The Prazac Plinker) on a deer or hog.

The load: 240 grain keith style LSWC 18 BHN with 18.5 grains of 2400 and mag primer going 1,453 average of 12 chronoed rounds at 8 feet from 10.5 inch barrel.

When that happens it will be time to work on filling a tag with the Contender in .35 Remington.

It's been a quiet season so far, but my father got one yesterday and saw several in the same place I'm hunting. They had been moving during the night, but the moon is getting smaller, the weather is cold, and the rut is on.

Good luck to everybody!

Re: about time to think about this fall. . . . - 11/15/2014 2:37 AM

Knock one dead, Jeff! Keep us posted.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums