Handgunhunt

Frustrating afternoon in the woods

Posted By: longhunter

Frustrating afternoon in the woods - 09/12/2014 1:32 AM

thought I would go out for a while this afternoon and see what I could stir up. first off my little squirrel hound has been kind of sickly so I left her at home. I get to the woods and the squirrels are moving good, miss the first three, all easy shots. miss two more, both easy shots, hells bells! ok so the reddot I just put on and sighted in isn’t, so I set up a few walnuts on some fence posts and sure enough it’s hitting about an 1 1/2″ low, a couple of clicks and dead on. a few minutes later this one comes out on a limb about twenty yards out and poses for the shot, never seen so much as a bird stir after that. gonna try again in the morning.
Posted By: JBWhitehead

Re: Frustrating afternoon in the woods - 09/12/2014 1:34 AM

Murphy's Law.
It's hard to beat a dog that hates squirrels.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Frustrating afternoon in the woods - 09/12/2014 1:35 AM

That's a start. Few more and you've got a meal.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Frustrating afternoon in the woods - 09/12/2014 3:58 AM

Any day in the woods beats a day in the woodshop. Good on ya and better luck next outing.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Frustrating afternoon in the woods - 09/12/2014 11:23 AM

At least you know it's properly sighted now. Good luck next time.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Frustrating afternoon in the woods - 09/12/2014 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
Any day in the woods beats a day in the woodshop. Good on ya and better luck next outing.

I agree completely. Besides, this is the nature of hunting.
Posted By: pab1

Re: Frustrating afternoon in the woods - 09/12/2014 2:50 PM

One is better than none.
Good luck next time!
Posted By: S.B.

Re: Frustrating afternoon in the woods - 09/12/2014 6:04 PM

I agree, a bad day in the woods, handgun hunting is far better than a good day at work.
Steve
Posted By: RedSS

Re: Frustrating afternoon in the woods - 09/13/2014 3:41 AM

Good job. We all have those days; if there were no theatrics involved, it'd be called "harvesting" instead of "hunting".

Your tale reminds me of a hunt at the tail end of my last season. The weather was very cooperative and so there were squirrels all over the woods, and I should've had a limit in very short order. Long story short: I missed on a bunch of easy shots, and finally connected on the last 2 at "stone's throw" distance; close inspection at the bench after dinner revealed that the rings were slipping fore-to-aft ever so slightly on the base, which I didn't notice in the woods.

The last fishing excursion that I took my dad on can only be described as a comedy of errors; that's a story in and of itself.
;\)

Both events are highlights however, and were a heck of a lot better than a day at work.
\:D
Posted By: MOHunter

Re: Frustrating afternoon in the woods - 09/21/2014 3:13 AM

Squirrel hunting is great because you often get more than one shot a day at game!....Even after you shoot to check zero of gun!....Great shot on the "nutter" in the pic!
Posted By: nytracker

Re: Frustrating afternoon in the woods - 09/21/2014 11:32 PM

Wind has been relentless here... foliage is too thick ...squirrels arent moving to many acorns... those are my excuses.
Posted By: johnwilliams

Re: Frustrating afternoon in the woods - 09/28/2014 12:45 AM

it happens to all of us every now and again-that's life
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums