Handgunhunt

22 mag - What's it good for?

Posted By: IAshooter

22 mag - What's it good for? - 11/01/2014 2:26 AM

I don't know why, but I've been looking real hard at a Taurus in 22 mag and wondered what, if any, practical use it would have for game?

I am mainly looking at one with a 4" barrel. I thought it would make a decent little carry/conceal gun, maybe for my wife.
Posted By: campbellkids

Re: 22 mag - What's it good for? - 11/01/2014 3:08 AM

For a defense weapon, it has more power and a ton more noise! Shooting from a single six with a 10" barrel, they are awesome.
The cost puts them in the same bracket as 9mm/40S&W.
I have toyed with the idea of buying a North American arms small revolver in this caliber, then I ask why??
Chose the caliber for the pistol and the pistol for the caliber.
Posted By: billa

Re: 22 mag - What's it good for? - 11/01/2014 4:12 AM

I have a NAA mini revolver in 22 Magnum. Its a great gun to carry in a pocket if you are not packing a bigger one. I carry mine undetected in a soft eye glasses case. This little gun in my pocket is better than a 1911 that's at home in the safe. Better than a knife, sharp stick, pepper spray or a cell phone with 911 on speed dial. You can also carry shot shells in it in snake country. I have dispatched various 4 legged varmints with it over the years. A hollow point 22 mag can do some damage. My friend gave a finisher, heart shot to a pronghorn with one and then posed for a photo holding the little SA with his trophy.
Posted By: SEAK

Re: 22 mag - What's it good for? - 11/01/2014 5:59 AM

Lynx,coyote,fox,wolverine,100# halibut have fell to my 22mags plus a lot of smaller stuff. The little NAA is great on a trapline or fishing boat. My 45 year old single six that I put a 22mag cylinder in has taken some fur bearers out to 75yards.I always use the heavier bullets.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: 22 mag - What's it good for? - 11/01/2014 2:46 PM

I like 22mag. Around here, ammo is still relatively easy to get, and it puts a lot of hurt on squirrels, rabbits, coons, and even yotes if close enough. My first 22mag revolver was a taurus several years ago when they weren't worth *&$%. That gun was a piece of crap, but the round is one of my favorites.

Re: 22 mag - What's it good for? - 11/02/2014 1:50 AM

Thanks for the replies. I may just have to seriously consider getting one of these and see how well I like it.
Posted By: whywait

Re: 22 mag - What's it good for? - 11/02/2014 6:43 PM

Get a Ruger single-nine
Posted By: whywait

Re: 22 mag - What's it good for? - 11/02/2014 6:44 PM

if you want to hunt with it. sorry for the skip
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: 22 mag - What's it good for? - 11/02/2014 7:51 PM

Originally Posted By: SEAK
Lynx,coyote,fox,wolverine,100# halibut have fell to my 22mags plus a lot of smaller stuff. The little NAA is great on a trapline or fishing boat. My 45 year old single six that I put a 22mag cylinder in has taken some fur bearers out to 75yards.I always use the heavier bullets.

Dick Metcalf is a big fan of the 22mag and in his articles he says that shooting a 22mag from a 6" barrel revolver is equal to shooting a 22lr from a 24" rifle barrel....

Re: 22 mag - What's it good for? - 11/03/2014 12:51 AM

Now I'm leaning towards a 6" barrel. Decisions, decisions.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums