Handgunhunt

Mule Deer Buck

Posted By: Gregg Richter

Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 3:56 AM

To be frank, one of my current health conditions (right knee) precludes me from doing much walking in uneven terrain; ie. pretty much the entire Colorado wildlands.

So I was very limited in mobility while hunting to fill my mule deer buck tag. My method was quite simple: keep re-visiting my past successful (and some not so successful areas) and using my Zeiss optics, scouring the meadows and open areas for long minutes and even hours, from my truck. Glassing, waiting, repeat, move to another area, repeat.

I figured that if I spotted a buck that I wanted, that my adrenalin and stubbornness and love of the stalk and hunt could keep me going for at least one good try.

After a couple of mornings and afternoons, I had yet to see a buck. I was seeing does without bucks; due to the unseasonably warm weather here the mule deer rut had not quite started yet.

The time was 4:30 p.m. on the third day of my season and the sun was sinking fast. A cold front was moving through and we had gotten a flurry of snow the previous evening, which would hopefully get the game moving around some. Moving slowly along a two track excuse for a road in my F-150 following a small drainage, I suddenly spotted a buck down on the edge of the creek, about 75 yards away. I stopped the truck and turned the motor off. My Zeiss binocs automatically came up to my eyes and I looked at him and sized him up in about two tenths of a second. Staring back at me was a very respectable 4X4 with one brow tine. I slowly opened the door and got out, my right hand going to my Custom .475 Linebaugh and removing it from the makeshift shoulder holster (works for me)
\:\)
As my right foot touched the ground, the knee pain along with the crunching sound of the porcelain spacer block in that severely compromised joint rudely reminded me to step very carefully in spite of my excitement at seeing such a beautiful buck.

I carefully moved ahead to the nearest tree for a rest and where I had a clear view of the buck and brought up my revolver, planted the red dot of the JPoint sight just behind his shoulder, cocked the hammer, and pressed the trigger.

At the boom, he swapped ends and started scrambling up the opposite hillside. Something however was very very wrong. His hind end wasn't working very good. Yet he was still moving away, so I put another 400 Gr. XTP through him. (Note this was the opposite side as the first shot) He fell down and died in the creek.

It was almost dark.

These photos were taken the following day.

The following photo shows my two shots, one entrance and one exit, due to the fact the buck turned around 180 degrees after the first shot. This area is about 4 inches behind the shoulder.

Posted By: GlennS

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 4:02 AM

Nice work Gregg! You always find a way to fill the tag with a good one. I'm gonna start riding in the back of your truck

Hope the leg gets better!
Posted By: KRal

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 4:28 AM

Congrats, Gregg! I hate you're not able to enjoy your hunts to the fullest due to your knee, but at least you are not giving up and making the best of it; and quiet well may I add.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 4:47 AM

It's good you made the best of it, well done!
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 5:20 AM

So happy for you Gregg!!!

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 6:46 AM

Thank you guys!
Posted By: Zee

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 7:09 AM

Awesome buck! Beautiful handgun. Well done.
Posted By: billa

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 8:44 AM

Nice buck Gregg. Congratulations.
Posted By: dhom

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 11:13 AM

Very well done,nice buck!!!!
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 11:55 AM

Congrat"s Gregg
Posted By: Duke3026

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 12:44 PM

Great going Gregg!
Posted By: chas3stix

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 1:29 PM

Nice buck. Way to go Gregg.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 1:34 PM

Congratulations, Gregg! Very well done!
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 2:08 PM

Beautiful buck, Gregg! Congratulations!
Posted By: Russell

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 4:23 PM

Nice one, Gregg!!
Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 4:42 PM

Gregg,

That is a dandy. Please do not beat yourself up for spotting it from the truck, and not having it instantly hit high gear. Those of us who hunt the west, probably have logged hundreds if not thousands of boot rubber miles over the years. If you divide the miles by the number of animals it will quickly reveal that you have put in a lot of unsuccessful miles. Every once in a while we get a gift "stalk". Nice shooting.

Craig
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 6:46 PM

hell of a buck, congratulations!
Posted By: MrMcPorkchop

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 7:14 PM

That's a damn nice buck! Good shooting Gregg!
Posted By: Mad Dog 1954

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 8:30 PM

Nice buck I can empathize with having a medical condition that hampers hunting
Posted By: doc with a glock

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 9:48 PM

Way to go Greg! What 400 gr. bullet / load are you using? I sympathize, not all my parts ( knee ) work like they used to before I exceeded the warranty.

Doc
Posted By: wyote

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/05/2014 11:44 PM

Good goin Gregg! That's a dandy buck
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/06/2014 12:50 AM

Congratulations Gregg! Fantastic buck and good shooting!

Here's to getting out and getting after them...

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/06/2014 1:02 AM

You guys are great, I am humbled by your positive responses! Thank you so much!

Originally Posted By: doc with a glock
Way to go Greg! What 400 gr. bullet / load are you using? I sympathize, not all my parts ( knee ) work like they used to before I exceeded the warranty.

Doc

Doc, your part about exceeding the warranty is funny!

My load is 25.5 gr. H-110 underneath a Hornady 400 gr. XTP.
Not the hottest load but I know how it shoots and it gets the job done.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/07/2014 1:43 PM

Beautiful buck! By handgun makes it that much better. Huge congrats!!!!!!!
Posted By: PythonHunter

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/07/2014 8:05 PM

Congrats Gregg. Jealousy does not become me, but describes me pretty well right now.

PH

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/08/2014 4:16 AM

Originally Posted By: PythonHunter
Congrats Gregg. Jealousy does not become me, but describes me pretty well right now.

PH

No reason to feel that way; I would have enjoyed having you or one of your daughters take that buck instead of me.
Posted By: BlackhawkBama

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/11/2014 5:55 PM

Awesome muley buck....gotta love the effort & desire
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/11/2014 6:49 PM

Congrats Gregg! Well done
Posted By: csherrill

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/12/2014 12:34 AM

Good job! Glad to see a handgunner enjoying the outdoors. Congratulations!!!
Posted By: riggeruwz

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/12/2014 3:16 AM

Gregg, that's a great buck. I love reading people's posts and seeing their pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/12/2014 5:16 AM

Great job gregg. Awesome shooting as usual. You can be our honorary president of the bad knees club
Posted By: cottonstalk

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/12/2014 12:18 PM

congrats
Posted By: 3dcadman

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/21/2014 3:30 AM

Not even your health could keep you from scoring another beautiful animal. That is passion, despite the pain you made it happen. Good job!
Posted By: pab1

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/27/2014 1:57 AM

Very nice buck Gregg!
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Mule Deer Buck - 11/27/2014 9:01 PM

Very nice buck Gregg. I miss colorado. Great shooting and great get r done drive.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums