Handgunhunt

Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....?

Posted By: TM

Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/09/2015 4:55 PM

Posted this on another forum, got a few responses. Let's see what you guys think.

Would you knowingly venture into bear country with a
.357 Magnum, either for hunting or for defense. Gun and load is your choice. Let's take Alaska out of the equation since that's where we can get into some really big bears. Let's keep this confined to the lower 48.
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/09/2015 6:30 PM

Yes. Not my 1st choice but a comfortable one.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/09/2015 6:37 PM

I would too, but would prefer something bigger. It would be loaded with 180 grain WFNs for maximum penetration.
Posted By: SEAK

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/09/2015 7:00 PM

Yep,plenty of big bears killed by the 357mag.Remember once it was the hottest thing going and bears have not got tougher.
Posted By: Zee

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/09/2015 7:33 PM

Yes.
Posted By: rob-c

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/09/2015 7:57 PM

yep, heavy hard cast at max velocity. I have thought about this a few times wouldn't a 357 or 41 loaded with heavy for caliber hard cast be easier and more controllable for fast follow up shots than a big bore and I would think one would / could practice more with the smaller magnum calibers. but having said all that from all the articles I have read nothing beats pepper spray..
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/09/2015 8:02 PM

of course.....
Posted By: billa

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/09/2015 9:32 PM

Yes. If the 357mag is what I have I would carry it with heavy (180 gr) hard cast loads and be confident in my safety. If I have a choice I would pick my RSB 44 with 300gr XTP loads.
Posted By: dave19113

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/09/2015 9:57 PM

Yep... in fact my girlfriend has small hands and cant shoot my redhawk too well but she handles a gp100 with the smaller grips like a champ.... full power 180 gr hardcast
Posted By: dvan

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/09/2015 10:40 PM

X2 with Whitworth
Posted By: Bullelk Hunter

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/09/2015 11:25 PM

why not? I think a good heavy, clswc would fill the bill but I'd rather have my M29 or Redhawk with me.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/10/2015 12:12 AM

Without a doubt, but I'd probably use 180 NP's.
Posted By: wyote

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/10/2015 1:35 AM

If it (a 357)was all I could come up with I would carry it. But not sure how comfortable I would be with it.

We've got quite a few grizzlies around here. Plus moose can be a pain to deal with from time to time.

If it was only black bears, lions, wolves, etc then I could be a lot more at ease with the 357
Posted By: dhom

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/10/2015 10:09 AM

Yes, I would. Usually only black bears where I hunt.
Posted By: cottonstalk

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/10/2015 11:56 AM

what kral said X2
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/10/2015 1:17 PM

Yes, assuming it is a stout .357, not a lightweight pocket pistol, as I would also use 180's.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/10/2015 2:22 PM

I'd rather have a 357 than nothing at all.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/10/2015 3:48 PM

Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf
I'd rather have a 357 than nothing at all.
Posted By: Festus

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/10/2015 5:15 PM

They should make a suit that has an easy pull cord (like an inflatable boat vest)
But it sprays pepper spray out jets in the suit, just in case the bear beats you to the draw.
Never forget an old photo of a guy that was mauled to death by a bear. Several feet away was a super blackhawk laying on the ground.

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/10/2015 6:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Festus
They should make a suit that has an easy pull cord (like an inflatable boat vest)
But it sprays pepper spray out jets in the suit, just in case the bear beats you to the draw.
Never forget an old photo of a guy that was mauled to death by a bear. Several feet away was a super blackhawk laying on the ground.

Same thing has happened with folks carrying big game rifles even more so.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/11/2015 3:28 AM

And the Q that comes to my mind is "was the SBH loaded or empty or somewhere in between?" Not that it matters at this point in time but it would be interesting to know.

As far as "folks carrying big game rifles" the whole point of carrying a back-up handgun is that it is much easier and hopefully faster to get into action in very close quarters vs a 22" or 24" barreled rifle...

Sad stories for sure and I am not judging; just making a point. And if the SBH was fired then it comes down to "when it's your time, well then it's your time."
Posted By: junebug

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/11/2015 9:02 AM

[quote=. And if the SBH was fired then it comes down to "when it's your time, well then it's your time." [/quote]

The presence of a backup pistol dosen't mean it will work or be used succesfully .It should give peace of mind and another option to the user,if he or she puts in the time to learn it inside out,day night light or dark,and make it an extention of there hand. Only practice ,or an Angel on your shoulder can save you sometimes.
With that said how many dilligently practice with there back up guns they carry?
Posted By: 98Redline

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/11/2015 11:57 AM

Not to further derail the thread....but this is the reason why I consider a double action to be almost a requirement for a backup gun. I want something that I am able to unholster and fire with a minimum of gyrations required. While cocking a single action may be second nature, if you are actively trying to keep a bear off of you with one hand, the hammer cocking action may be a bigger hurtle than is surmountable, pulling the trigger might be as well but I would like that as an option.

This is another good reason why short barrels are preferred. The 7 1/2" SBH can be unwieldy when trying to work it around close to your body.
Posted By: bluecow

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/11/2015 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: 500WE
Yes, assuming it is a stout .357, not a lightweight pocket pistol, as I would also use 180's.

X2

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/11/2015 5:03 PM

Originally Posted By: 98Redline
Not to further derail the thread....but this is the reason why I consider a double action to be almost a requirement for a backup gun. I want something that I am able to unholster and fire with a minimum of gyrations required. While cocking a single action may be second nature, if you are actively trying to keep a bear off of you with one hand, the hammer cocking action may be a bigger hurtle than is surmountable, pulling the trigger might be as well but I would like that as an option.

This is another good reason why short barrels are preferred. The 7 1/2" SBH can be unwieldy when trying to work it around close to your body.

While the 7 1/2" has it's merits, a close encounter back up gun is probably not one of them. I agree and think the shorter barrels are ideal for this purpose, in my opinion a 4" being about ideal, long enough yet short enough too. I am lucky enough to have 2 to pick from, a 4" Model 29 and a 4 5/8" SBH. Cocking the hammer is second nature to me, but in a close encounter back up gun needed situation I can see where a DA can be the difference between being mauled and not being mauled.
Posted By: IKEWESSON

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/11/2015 7:33 PM

I would not be worried carrying a .357 mag.as a backup. But I carry a S&wW 44 mag snubnose as a backup. Sometimes I carry my Glock20 10mm. Also a good choice.
Posted By: nytracker

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/11/2015 9:01 PM

I was thinking in a self defence fight for my life with a bear my go too would be my glock... all be it mine is a 21.. then i got to thinking maybe i need a a 10mm... got a little excited... then i remember we dont have grizz here in ny... guess i dont need one. Damn doged that bullet... wife just let me out of the dog house last week after buying the srh 480.
Posted By: junebug

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/11/2015 11:35 PM

Short would be good. I have been on my belly with a 1265# bull on my back and you don't get up till you make him let you up, or he gets tired of beating on you. Room to swing a long barrel was just not there ,but a short one worked. A bear would be lots worse [any bear]as he has teeth and claws.

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/12/2015 5:50 AM

DA is no real advantage over SA. I have had people say but what if your thumb goes out of action and I say without a thumb you can't fire any handgun as you can't hold it. For real up close remember that bears long hair is wanting to tangle into anything that moves and can tie up cylinders and slides. Best thing don't think bears but carry what you shoot best and if something does happen do what you can do and know you gave it your best.. Bear kill with their teeth 99% of the time and use their feet like we use out hands.

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/12/2015 9:23 PM

Originally Posted By: SEAK
DA is no real advantage over SA. I have had people say but what if your thumb goes out of action and I say without a thumb you can't fire any handgun as you can't hold it. For real up close remember that bears long hair is wanting to tangle into anything that moves and can tie up cylinders and slides. Best thing don't think bears but carry what you shoot best and if something does happen do what you can do and know you gave it your best.. Bear kill with their teeth 99% of the time and use their feet like we use out hands.

Chances of that are about as great as a bear attack, slim and none. Bears do attack and people do get attacked by bears but if you use common sense and diligence the chances are slim and none. If I were to be attacked, and had a broken/disabled thumb I figure I'd just use my weak hand to shoot with, or wait for the forthcoming lightening bolt to kill the bear. Single action, double action, triple action, I can still shoot with the weak hand, maybe not as well but can still shoot.
Posted By: TGC

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/12/2015 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: junebug
Short would be good. I have been on my belly with a 1265# bull on my back and you don't get up till you make him let you up, or he gets tired of beating on you. Room to swing a long barrel was just not there ,but a short one worked. A bear would be lots worse [any bear]as he has teeth and claws.

Sounds like a good time to P*%SS him off with your Pepper Spray!!
\:\)
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/13/2015 12:14 AM

Quote:
DA is no real advantage over SA.

Don't know about that. I can squeeze the trigger quicker on my GP100 than I can cock and fire any SA, one handed anyway ;-)

And I used to carry it as bear backup, back when I bow hunted.

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/13/2015 5:34 AM

Only the first shot counts most of the time and that shot needs to break him down.After a good first shot you have plenty of time to kill the bear or what ever is after you. Over twenty years in SE and never a full for sure charge but at twentyfive yards you have your sight lined up if things change for bad
Posted By: Festus

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/13/2015 6:28 PM

I cant remember if the gut got a round off or not.
Been 20 plus years ago I read that story .
The guy could have missed, or not even got a round off.

If I was going to pick a gun it would be a 10MM loaded as hot and as heavy as possible.

But I prefer a 12 gauge.
Bears are big
Posted By: K31Scout

Re: Would You Knowingly Venture Into.....? - 03/14/2015 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By: TM
Posted this on another forum, got a few responses. Let's see what you guys think.

Would you knowingly venture into bear country with a
.357 Magnum, either for hunting or for defense. Gun and load is your choice. Let's take Alaska out of the equation since that's where we can get into some really big bears. Let's keep this confined to the lower 48.

Yes. I live in BB country and have quit feeding the birds except in the winter because my feeder and bird bath have been detroyed during the night too many times. I have carried my .45 M&P and flashlight for bon fires and weenie roasts but never needed it. I think a .357mag would be better.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums