Handgunhunt

Right and wrong way to shoot pigs

Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/22/2015 10:08 PM

Picture a medium size boar standing broadside at 40 yards and shooting a S&W 657- 41 Mag. The gun has a 7 1/2" barrel using open sights
with a 210gr XTP handload running 1400FPS....At the shot the boar is completely rolled over stopping with his legs under him. Sounds almost perfect.... That is until he gets to his feet and makes his way back to his friends. One shot at him knicked his back leg but with my binocs I could make out a hit below the spine and above the lungs. This is the wrong place to hit a pig. A sort of "no man`s land" for bullet placement on a boar... After a chase and four more shots he was down and I found that I hit him with each of the four bullets but he never showed any reaction to those hits. I was happy to have him down. Recovered one 210gr XTP that stopped in the off side after breaking a leg.
The bullet lost its jacket and weighed 116.4grs losing 93.6grs..
My first shot was in the wrong place on this boar. To high for the lungs and to low for the spine.....
The next day I sighted in my S&W 460 with the standard
8 3/8" barrel shooting Cor-Bon`s 300gr JSP. The specs for this load have it running at 1750FPS with a little over 2000lbs. of energy. At 50 yards four bullets made one little hole. We spotted a good size boar with a unique silver color that stood out from the pack. I had to try and take him. Put a slow stalk on the group and when I was a measured 50 yards from the silver boar he gave me a broadside shot. The weight of the 460 seemed to help steady the handgun and as the crosshair settled on the shoulder I squeezed the trigger. There is something special about the single action trigger pull on a Smith & Wesson revolver that had the gun go off in one motion. The boar`s reaction to the hit was a violent 10 foot struggle with blood coming from the entrance and exit wounds. After dressing I found that the 300gr JFP made a perfectly centered double lung hit... This is the right place to handgun a boar.... I hope the photos will show this in better detail.....
photos
1) bad shot boar
2)entrance wound below spine and above lungs
3)recovered 210gr XTP
4)exit from 460
5)entrance is left hole exit is right
6)double lung shot from 300gr JFP
7)boar was over 200lbs but the 460 has a way of making him look smaller
Posted By: Badubet

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/22/2015 10:22 PM

Good write up. Thanks for the story and the info.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/22/2015 11:44 PM

I love that silver boar!
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/23/2015 12:10 AM

James, great write up. Thank you for taking the time to share what you have learned over the many years of handgun hunting. It's always a real treat and a pleasure to read about your latest adventures. Hope to make it on the next forum hunt. Like I have said in the past your like the encyclopedia britannica of the handgun world. Great hogs. Congrats.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/23/2015 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: cfish2
James, great write up. Thank you for taking the time to share what you have learned over the many years of handgun hunting. It's always a real treat and a pleasure to read about your latest adventures. Hope to make it on the next forum hunt. Like I have said in the past your like the encyclopedia britannica of the handgun world. Great hogs. Congrats.

What he said ^^^ ;-)
Posted By: billa

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/23/2015 12:37 AM

James. Nice article and autopsy findings. You are a serious Pigmaster!
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/23/2015 2:15 AM

I'm glad you were able to give the 460 a work out! Man, what a hole. You really hammered that 460'ed boar. Way to kill em all & let god sort em out
;\)
Posted By: Zee

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/23/2015 2:50 AM

That second one is a cool looking pig. Love the hair.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/23/2015 10:42 AM

Originally Posted By: KRal
I love that silver boar!
x2
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/23/2015 12:05 PM

JFJ,

Persistence pays off on the porcine prize! Or it may just be that 657 needs a new home...
;\)

And same as the others, the 460'ed pig has a beautiful coat!
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/23/2015 12:20 PM

Very cool. Yep no mans land on a pig means lots of walking and a little running. One reason I like cast bullets on hogs even with .44 Specials we get exits. great write up. reflex264
Posted By: KRal

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/23/2015 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: SChunter
JFJ,

Persistence pays off on the porcine prize! Or it may just be that 657 needs a new home...
;\)

And same as the others, the 460'ed pig has a beautiful coat!

Yep....In the deep south....;)
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/23/2015 2:15 PM

The 460 sure didn't let you down, did it? Very well done.
Posted By: Russell

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/23/2015 3:06 PM

Congrats, James
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/23/2015 6:35 PM

True. Hit em right and they die. Hit em wrong and they dont. Simple enough. Funny thing is theres some thatd say ya needed a bigger caliber. Ridiculous
Posted By: FAH

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/23/2015 7:23 PM

James, great write up, thanks for taking the time to do that. The pictures were great, I especially liked the one looking into the body cavity of the pig, great photo.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/23/2015 8:49 PM

Originally Posted By: KRal
 Originally Posted By: SChunter
JFJ,

Or it may just be that 657 needs a new home...
;\)

Yep....In the deep south....;)

Aww, KRal, I wouldn't want that S&W to be all by its' lonesome in your handgun stable. That'd be cruel and unusual punishment.

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/24/2015 3:39 AM

Gentleman, Thank you for taking the time to read about my hunt..
Sure as heck would love to see a bunch of you handgunners at Tioga some day......
Posted By: doc with a glock

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/24/2015 9:35 PM

James,

Way to ventilate (let the air out of 'em)!

Doc
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/24/2015 10:22 PM

I too really liked the view inside the body cavity. Was that the too high/too low shot?

A question James since you mention wanting to see a bunch of handgunners hunt there.
Travel aside, what would be the cost for that type of hunt? I wouldn't be able to guess if it would be $500, $1500, or $5000.

Congrats on the pretty piggy by the way!

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/25/2015 7:51 PM

Vance, $600 and up....
Posted By: Vance in AK.

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/26/2015 8:23 PM

Thanks James!
Posted By: csherrill

Re: Right and wrong way to shoot pigs - 03/27/2015 12:43 AM

Enjoyed reading about your hunt. Congratulations!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums