Handgunhunt

How far would you shoot open sights while hunting?

Posted By: Chance Weldon

How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/14/2015 2:26 AM

Since I took the Nikon variable off my 460 to put it on the Encore, I've discovered that I'm somewhat fond of the X-frame's open sights. Sure, I can't shoot it as far as when I had the scope, but that's what the Encore's for. I'll probably just keep it that way and practice with open sights from now on.

My question to you all is: how far would you feel comfortable making a shot on game if you were hunting with an open sighted handgun?
Posted By: Hoggin

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/14/2015 2:28 AM

As far as I can keep it on an 8" plate. For me and my 29 that's 150
Posted By: linebaugh

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/14/2015 2:28 AM

I limit myself to the distance that I can hit a 6" dish consistently. For me, that's around 40-50 yards. And I'm ok with that😊
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/14/2015 2:46 AM

I also use the paper plate test. It really depends on the sights.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/14/2015 3:01 AM

Paper plate test x3.
Posted By: bluecow

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/14/2015 10:43 AM

Originally Posted By: linebaugh
I limit myself to the distance that I can hit a 6" dish consistently. For me, that's around 40-50 yards. And I'm ok with that😊

+1 thats way we call it hunting and not sniping.
Posted By: SEAK

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/14/2015 4:20 PM

Prefer as much under fifty as I can get.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/14/2015 5:01 PM

I like 60 yards or less, but have practiced extensively at 100 yards and feel confident on a bull elk (bigger target) at up to 100.
Posted By: Badubet

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/15/2015 12:05 AM

8" gong. 100 yds
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/15/2015 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Badubet
8" gong. 100 yds
X2
Posted By: Gary

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/15/2015 2:11 PM

For me it really depends on the conditions and the size of the animal. I've killed hogs at 100 yards and deer and elk out to 75 or so but those longer shots have all been in good light and fully out in the open. Throw in low light and/or a partially obscured animal, or even one that blends in with the background and that range starts shrinking fast. I can hit a 10" plate about 9 out of 10 at 80 yards off hand and that's a good measure but a live animal in real hunting conditions can be very different - sometimes it's easier sometimes it's not. I'll add I practice off hand shooting a lot but will nearly always seek out a rest of some sort for shooting game.
Posted By: Russell

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/15/2015 3:09 PM

As Gary relates, it depends on the size of the animal and conditions, but almost always limit my shots to 50yds, give or take.....
Posted By: cfish2

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/15/2015 5:18 PM

If the target doesn't move I'll shoot it if I can see it. If its a target that has hooves and moves 100 or less. Closer is better. Probably the whole reason why I took up hand gunning in the first place. It's a happy medium between bow and rifle sometimes harder then bow.

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/15/2015 5:27 PM

Originally Posted By: cfish2
It's a happy medium between bow and rifle sometimes harder then bow.

Ain't that the truth.
Posted By: Slingshot

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/17/2015 1:06 AM

Whatever distance you are comfortable hitting pretty consistently a 6" paper plate. I like to shoot a clay pigeons a fair amount. For me, it's about 50yds with iron sights. That is all relative to whitetail deer hunting. Bigger game, longer distances.
Posted By: Festus

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/19/2015 1:17 AM

I think of handguns as short range weapons.
I also feel that scopes belong on rifles.
To me a fixed sight revolver is the best.
Sure, you can stretch out with a scoped sigle shot pistol.
But to me thats just short rifle hunting.
This is not to disrespect anyone that uses these.If thats what you like...go for it.
But to me, a revolver with fixed sights is the way to go.
For range...what ever you can do the job on.
I like 40 and less.
I treat handgun hunting like bow hunting.

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/19/2015 3:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Festus
I think of handguns as short range weapons.
I also feel that scopes belong on rifles.
To me a fixed sight revolver is the best.
Sure, you can stretch out with a scoped sigle shot pistol.
But to me thats just short rifle hunting.
This is not to disrespect anyone that uses these.If thats what you like...go for it.
But to me, a revolver with fixed sights is the way to go.
For range...what ever you can do the job on.
I like 40 and less.
I treat handgun hunting like bow hunting.

Just curious, Festus, why fixed sights and not adjustable sights? What do you not like about adjustable sights?
Posted By: dogsbreath

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/19/2015 6:59 PM

I read the 'fixed' as 'iron, not scope'. But I've been wrong before.

I'm in the 'shoot what you can hit' camp too. Mine have been under 50 yards with iron sites. My only scoped deer (t/c .270) was about 6 yards. The scope was not helping a bit. I was waiting to see if anything with horn was going to follow the two does over the crest, when the first one about walked into me. She was backing away when I shot her. All I saw was fur in the scope. I much prefer iron sites, but my .270 came with a scope and no rear site. I've taken to using an iron site (usally .44m) in hand for close stuff, and having a longer reaching pistol if I need it for longer shots. North Georgia is pretty tight hunting, and over 50 yards is not often offered.

db

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/19/2015 8:40 PM

Originally Posted By: dogsbreath
I read the 'fixed' as 'iron, not scope'.

Same here.
Posted By: cottonstalk

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/19/2015 10:57 PM

Take in conditions, animals and how comfortable you are and go from there. I've taken a few deer a little over 100 yards with irons and a 7 1/2" barrel and a rest and past on some with the same gun with no rest and different circumstances and less than 50 yards. Each and every situation is different, and each and every person is different. Everyone's ability and confidence will be different, whether it be irons or scopes.
Posted By: Festus

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/20/2015 1:38 AM

Yes
senior moment there
I ment "open sights"
Again no disrespect to any that choose scoped guns.

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/20/2015 3:01 AM

I don't think you disrespected anyone. Just sharing your thoughts, like the rest of us.

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/20/2015 3:01 AM

Thank you for the clarification, Festus. Fixed vs. adjustable sights is a big topic. I go by people's words; just a fault of mine I guess.

\:\)

Posted By: ratgunner

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/20/2015 10:43 PM

50 yards

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/21/2015 2:07 PM

Where I stand right now, I could probably take a deer out to 25 to 30 yards. I'm hoping to get good to 50 before deer season. I've already tried that distance, but a couple of those shots were a bit too far away from the bullseye.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/24/2015 8:41 PM

with my eyes and the way my hand shakes.....50 yards. plus the front sight cannot be black as I have a hard time finding it on game. Lately I have painted the front sight with White-Out and after it dries I cover it with some primer sealer that gives it protection from rubbing off in the holster....With this set up I made some decent 50yd shots using my S&W 657- 41mag with a 7 1/2" barrel and 210XTP handloads... PS- its also helps if the target is big and black....
Posted By: Night Stalker

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/28/2015 4:38 PM

It all depends on how much practice I do. With that said if I've practice the conditions are right wind rest etc probably 80-100 yards.
Most of the time 50 yards
I shoot an Anaconda in 44 mag with open sights
Posted By: mike.44

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/29/2015 10:03 AM

25 yds right now. My eyes ain't what they used to be.
Posted By: dogsbreath

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 04/29/2015 12:25 PM

My grand daughter and her friend were cleaning my home the other week. The friend (24 years old) found some nail polish on the table in the living room. I said 'oh, that's mine'.

I find that nail polish holds up better than many others, and you can get it in some pretty wild colors. And, like me, it is cheap. One bottle can keep a front site painted for longer than I'm going to live.

db
Posted By: eastex

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 05/17/2015 12:52 AM

75 yards for me
Posted By: muddydog

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 05/17/2015 7:16 PM

50-60 paces from shooting sticks. I really prefer 20-30 for most shots just like bow hunting.
Posted By: KRal

Re: How far would you shoot open sights while hunting? - 05/17/2015 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: muddydog
50-60 paces from shooting sticks. I really prefer 20-30 for most shots just like bow hunting.

Me too.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums