Handgunhunt

S&W Hunter

Posted By: Rmagnum1183

S&W Hunter - 08/26/2015 7:11 PM

anyone owns, has hunted or has shot this before?
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/s...playErrorView_Y

and if so is it worth the money or should i stick with
http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelSuperBlackhawkHunter/models.html
Posted By: Gary

Re: S&W Hunter - 08/26/2015 8:13 PM

My personal preference would be for the Ruger but I've always liked single-actions better.
Posted By: Zee

Re: S&W Hunter - 08/26/2015 8:33 PM

I too prefer the Ruger.
Posted By: nytracker

Re: S&W Hunter - 08/26/2015 8:59 PM

Love my sbh 44 mag hunter.
Posted By: Scienceguy

Re: S&W Hunter - 08/26/2015 10:08 PM

Even without the price difference I would chose the Ruger.
Posted By: longhunter

Re: S&W Hunter - 08/27/2015 12:44 AM

I'm a fan of the double action but i would take a single action Ruger over that any day. S&W sure are putting out some ugly revolvers, no offence to you Smith fans.:)
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: S&W Hunter - 08/27/2015 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: nytracker
Love my sbh 44 mag hunter.
x2
Posted By: FA834ME

Re: S&W Hunter - 08/27/2015 12:59 AM

I have an older 29 Smith which I consider beautiful. But when the going gets tuff I take my SBH or Redhawk depending on whether I feel the need for double action performance may be required.
Posted By: billa

Re: S&W Hunter - 08/27/2015 2:32 AM

I own a scoped 629. A Redhawk with removable rings and a Super Blackhawk with irons. I love them all but between the 2 you are comparing I would buy the RSB Hunter and put the extra money toward a hunt. All the extra frills of the performance center S&W does not make it a better hunting gun. In fact a brake on a 44 mag is just a noisy gadget.
Posted By: 98Redline

Re: S&W Hunter - 08/27/2015 2:43 PM

The S&W certainly wouldn't be my preference, but hey, different strokes for different folks.

Get the one that trips your trigger and be happy.
Posted By: briarhopper

Re: S&W Hunter - 08/29/2015 2:21 PM

Single action is just my personal preference, There are some excellent DA's out there. But even for a double action, that particular S&W looks to me like...I don't know...a homely woman with Texas big hair and too much makeup. She's just trying way to hard.
\:\)

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Buy what you like and will enjoy. Either one will shoot plenty well.
Posted By: sw282

Re: S&W Hunter - 08/29/2015 7:35 PM

Rmag--l have a 629 Magnum Hunter... l have put 3500+ rds thru it over the past couple of years..l really love the gun. l shoot mine the way you see pictured from S&W.. The UTG red dot gave up around 1800rds.. SW replaced it free of charge... l prefer the SW double action over the Ruger SA design..Just a personal preference... l cannot say which is better for YOU.. 0nly way you will really know is to try BOTH... That's what l did. ln my early days of big bore revolver shooting l started shooting IHMSA silh. l started with a SW 29 44magnum revolver and later on got a Ruger SBH too. l just liked the SW 29 better..l gave the Ruger to my daughter..

Re: S&W Hunter - 08/29/2015 8:30 PM

http://gunsumerreports.com/review_smith_wesson_44_magnum_hunter_p3.php

THis a very extensive write up on the 629 Hunter..The tu-tone attracted me from the beginning.. lt kinda reminds me of a my black 66 Chevy 11 Nova with Crager SS mags out of high school..

Not too many guns excite an old man, but this one did..

The SW629 may not be as strong as a SBH...lf l want to shoot something really HOT l have an X frame 460 SW PC Hunter for that
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: S&W Hunter - 08/30/2015 6:55 AM

I shot a S&W Hunter at the range that was fitted with a fixed 4x Burris and the single action trigger along with accuracy were outstanding.....
Posted By: ahandgunhunter

Re: S&W Hunter - 09/25/2015 2:41 PM

my friend has one, scope gave up the ghost with less the 20 rounds. gun feels great in my hands. for the money I wasn't overly impressed with the gun.

Re: S&W Hunter - 09/28/2015 4:33 AM

l shot my 629 Magnum Hunter at the Ga State IHMSA Champioships yesterday in Lincolnton Ga. l shoot in ''Revolver Standing'' class. l did pretty well on chicken, pig, turkey @50 100 150 meters...Those 200m rams is where l fell down. This is NOT a land where S&W or Ruger shine..THE revolver in IHMSA is Freedom Arms Silh Model..
l shoot silh for practice and refuse to use the Creedmore or other prone positions. Standing simulates hunting best..l just love seeing and hearing those ''KILL''shots with the clang and the falling steel ''animal''...
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums