Handgunhunt

Two choices

Posted By: Sam86

Two choices - 09/23/2015 2:57 PM

ok so if I have a option of a super blackhawk 44 mag with a 7.5" barrel, used but in good condition for $450 and then the ruger blackhawk with a 5.5" barrel, new for $490, which would be the better buy? I plan to hunt deer and maybe hog, I plan to start with iron sight (so 50-75 yards max depending on how I shoot it) for now, maybe put a scope on it later, maybe. I?m ready to pull the trigger on a gun today or tomorrow and I am having problems making up my mind and weighing pros and cons. I have a old Lee reloader in the basement, I have never used it, it was my dad?s and is all set up for 38?s. I plan to dust it off and try to figure out this reloading stuff. I may or may not have to buy factory ammo for this season but defiantly should be rolling my own for next season. So what?s your thoughts?

I know I have been bombarding you guys with a bunch of slick sleeve type questions and really appreciate all the help!!!!!
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Two choices - 09/23/2015 3:42 PM

Both are good guns. Depending upon condition, If the 7 1/2" is nearly new, I'd probably pick it. That version is one of the finest handguns ever made. If the condition of it is barely satisfactory, I'd pick the shorter version.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Two choices - 09/23/2015 3:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Sam86
I know I have been bombarding you guys with a bunch of slick sleeve type questions and really appreciate all the help!!!!!

Bombard away. You're not bothering us at all.
\:\)

If the used gun still seems to be in good condition, I'd go with it.

Re: Two choices - 09/23/2015 3:59 PM

Other than a few little scratches and a little holster wear it's in great shape, the barrel and crown are just about perfect and the cylinder gap is just the same as 3 other sbh i have look at that are brand new. I doubt the gun has been fired more than 100 times.
Posted By: Craig44

Re: Two choices - 09/23/2015 4:18 PM

So what cartridge is the 5.5" chambered in?

Re: Two choices - 09/23/2015 4:31 PM

sorry forgot to add that, 45 long colt
Posted By: billa

Re: Two choices - 09/23/2015 4:45 PM

Both are good choices but I prefer the longer barrel for iron sight shots over 50 yards. I also prefer the 44 magnum although the 45 colt is a fine option.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Two choices - 09/23/2015 4:46 PM

Then I would definitely take the 44 Mag.
Posted By: sixshot

Re: Two choices - 09/23/2015 5:05 PM

Usually on a used gun you can dicker a little bit, you might try & talk them down a few bucks or see if they will throw in a box of ammo with the 44 maggie, worth a try. You will have a dandy hunting gun with the SBH.

Dick
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Two choices - 09/23/2015 5:19 PM

Personally I prefer .45 Colt as well as that barrel length, so that would be my choice.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Two choices - 09/23/2015 5:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
Personally I prefer .45 Colt as well as that barrel length, so that would be my choice.

What he said ^^^
Posted By: SEAK

Re: Two choices - 09/23/2015 6:21 PM

Apples to apples so pick the one that feels best to you.
Posted By: sixshot

Re: Two choices - 09/23/2015 6:44 PM

I'll guarantee if you pick that 45 Colt with the 5 1/2" barrel you'll be a very happy man. Just pick a good 260-300gr swc-lbt style bullet & you will never go hungry. If you are a hog hunter, the experienced guys on here (I'm not one of them) will tell you to stay with the heavier bullets, those big feral hogs have a grisle plate thats almost like fiberglass, really tough. I've only killed 3, some guys have killed hundreds & they use heavy bullets.

Dick

Re: Two choices - 09/23/2015 7:11 PM

Cartridge choice really depends on whether or not you handload and personal preference. As for barrel length, let's just say I have matching 4 5/8" and 7?" Bisley .44's and the longer barrel gets left at home quite a bit. Not that I don't like or use it but just that I like the 4 5/8" so much more.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Two choices - 09/23/2015 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: sixshot
those big feral hogs have a grisle plate thats almost like fiberglass, really tough.

Dick

Remember after one really big boar was down and skinned I knocked on the grisel plate with my knuckels and it was like a piece of plywood.... Never forgot that.... Explains why I saw a number of boar running around with arrows sticking out...
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Two choices - 09/24/2015 12:05 AM

I vote 45 Colt as well, and I like the 5.5" barrel. That's what both of my custom Super Blackhawk Hunters have for barrels, and I love em. Yes, one of them is a 45 Colt.

You can make the 45 Colt a 44mag, so to speak, or you can step on it, and leave the 44mag sucking wind. Now those of you that like the 44, don't get mad. I'm not trying to say the 45 Colt is better. They both have their place. I think you guys know me well enough, and know what I mean, and that I'm not one to pick fights.

If ya like the two guns you're looking at, I think these two guns come down to a coin toss really. You'll be happy with either.
Posted By: dvan

Re: Two choices - 09/24/2015 12:30 AM

I go with the used SBH in 44 mag. There is a lot of various loads and bullets chambered in the 44 magnum.
Posted By: FA834ME

Re: Two choices - 09/24/2015 1:09 AM

Another vote for the 7.5" .44

Re: Two choices - 09/24/2015 3:31 AM

Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
You can make the 45 Colt a 44mag, so to speak, or you can step on it, and leave the 44mag sucking wind.

The .45Colt only leaves the .44 "sucking wind" in the custom five-shots. At "Ruger only" levels, they are all but interchangeable.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Two choices - 09/24/2015 3:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Craig44
 Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
You can make the 45 Colt a 44mag, so to speak, or you can step on it, and leave the 44mag sucking wind.

The .45Colt only leaves the .44 "sucking wind" in the custom five-shots. At "Ruger only" levels, they are all but interchangeable.

Good point Craig!
Posted By: SEAK

Re: Two choices - 09/24/2015 5:56 AM

The 45 just does it with less pressure but will finish out my life with 44's as that's what I ended up with after trades.Now if I was fifty again 480 would see out my days.
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Two choices - 09/24/2015 11:09 AM

I didn't realize you were talking different calibers in your initial post. Given that, and the fact the 7 1/2" SBH is in good shape, I'd select it.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums