Handgunhunt

What's your style?

Posted By: Raptortrapper

What's your style? - 10/14/2015 1:05 AM

Do you like to sit and wait on critters? Do you call? Do you spot and stalk from a distance? Do you sit on game trails? Sit on bait stations?

I know all these methods are probably used by all of us at some time or another when the need arises. But what is your favorite? Maybe it's not listed above?

I can't sit still. I'm a searcher. I sit in one spot for a while, then slowly move to another. I like to sneak up on em-- try to see them first. Puts me at a greater disadvantage, by moving a lot, but I like it.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: What's your style? - 10/14/2015 1:15 AM

I walk mostly, pause, and then walk, repeat as necessray. Sometimes in tandem with another hunter, sometimes alone. A little snow sure helps matters, but it's not a necessity. I also can't stand to sit on a stand for long, although will often spend the predawn to sunup and early evening to dusk hour or two on a field edge if there is something there for them to eat.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: What's your style? - 10/14/2015 1:18 AM

Mostly still hunting for large game...occasionally spot & stalk
Posted By: Sigforall

Re: What's your style? - 10/14/2015 1:40 AM

I sit 16 to 20 foot up in a tree stand all day long. I'm too old to come down and in for lunch anymore.
Posted By: mike.44

Re: What's your style? - 10/14/2015 2:05 AM

I would prefer to still hunt. But, I am limited here in Florida on my lease to stand hunts.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: What's your style? - 10/14/2015 2:14 AM

That depends on what and where I am hunting.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: What's your style? - 10/14/2015 2:14 AM

Depends on the game. For deer, I sit in a blind or treestand near a food source or deer crossings and stay there for the entirety of the hunt. For coyotes, I'll set up in a field for thirty minutes to an hour and call them with an electronic call and decoy. For squirrels, I'll sit under a tree in a wooded area and wait for the squirrels to come in close. Depending on how many I see and shoot in a location, I'll stay for as little as thirty minutes to as long as two hours.
Posted By: Zee

Re: What's your style? - 10/14/2015 2:33 AM

Spot and stalk is my favorite.
Posted By: Brenden

Re: What's your style? - 10/14/2015 2:41 AM

I mainly like driving around in a truck with no licence plate and shoot from the road. My success rate is outstanding as well.

All kidding aside, I'm a stand hunter unless things are slow. I'll walk through the woods if I'm not seeing much and try to jump something up. I've had great success with calling and rattling bucks in; the last few years I haven't produced any good bucks from it, but win some loose some.

Brenden
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: What's your style? - 10/14/2015 2:55 AM

Stand Hunter. I tend to hunt over natural funnels, creek crossings, and known game trails. Daylight til 10AM. 2 PM til dark. I never hunt a stand where the wind is wrong.
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: What's your style? - 10/14/2015 8:10 AM

I mostly stand hunt form tree stands and ground blinds. I sometimes just pick a natural blind and sit in my folding chair since my knees do not allow me to sit on the ground for more than a few minutes anymore.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: What's your style? - 10/14/2015 10:20 AM

For deer I stand hunt, sometimes all day, for boars, spot & stalk.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: What's your style? - 10/14/2015 12:49 PM

Same here, but I do what I need to to hunt the area.
 Originally Posted By: Zee
Spot and stalk is my favorite.
Posted By: KRal

Re: What's your style? - 10/14/2015 1:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth

Yep....as well as, what I'm hunting with.
Posted By: SEAK

Re: What's your style? - 10/14/2015 6:31 PM

Still hunting, sit and watch half hour then move some
Posted By: SChunter

Re: What's your style? - 10/14/2015 9:58 PM

Originally Posted By: KRal
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth

Yep....as well as, what I'm hunting with.

Absolutely - stand hunting from portables, permanents, ground blinds, natural blinds, still hunting, spot and stalk, drives (both man and beast)...you name it.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: What's your style? - 10/14/2015 10:20 PM

Yeah I hear ya guys. I use multiple methods as well, but which one is your favorite. Not one favorite for each type of critter. Just which one is your favorite method of all?

If you only had one hunt left in your life, and could only do one method, what would you do??
Posted By: Ernie

Re: What's your style? - 10/14/2015 10:24 PM

Spot-N-Stalk remains my fav...
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: What's your style? - 10/14/2015 10:31 PM

In that case, I would hunt deer by sitting in a blind looking over a food plot, with both my Encore and 460 in hand. If we're talking about all types of hunting, not just handgun hunting, I would spend my last hunt in a duck blind on Reelfoot Lake.
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: What's your style? - 10/14/2015 11:47 PM

I love sitting in a pop up blind in a good spot for deer.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums