Handgunhunt

"Heavy for Caliber" Bullets

Posted By: TM

"Heavy for Caliber" Bullets - 10/14/2015 3:19 PM

Are loads with heavier bullets any harder on the gun than "standard" loads? Some examples: 180 gr vs. 158 gr in .357, 300 gr vs. 240 gr in .44, 365 gr in .454.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: "Heavy for Caliber" Bullets - 10/14/2015 3:34 PM

I researched this a bit back before I had my 500JRH built. I couldn't find anything that suggested heavy bullets damage a gun at all, as long as the load is within pressure specs.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: "Heavy for Caliber" Bullets - 10/14/2015 3:43 PM

I would think that the stress put on a gun by a load is more a factor of pressure.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: "Heavy for Caliber" Bullets - 10/14/2015 4:14 PM

For every action there is an equal and............well you know.

It depends on how fast you are pushing said bullet, but generally a heavier bullet will require more energy to get moving than a lighter one. This energy is applied to the gun as well as the shooter. Some guns are built stouter than others, but all are built to SAMMI spec so as long as the load is within spec there shouldn't be a problem. I do hear a lot of folks sayin' you don't want to feed a Smith a steady diet of Ruger only loads tho ;-)
Posted By: TM

Re: "Heavy for Caliber" Bullets - 10/14/2015 4:36 PM

I'll stick with the standard 240 gr. factory stuff in my 2 M29's, but can my SBH take a few of the 300 gr. stuff? Won't be a steady diet, just a cylinder or two once in a while.

Re: "Heavy for Caliber" Bullets - 10/14/2015 5:01 PM

I doubt the 300 grain bullets will damage your gun in any way.
Posted By: 98Redline

Re: "Heavy for Caliber" Bullets - 10/14/2015 5:30 PM

In actuality I think it is the other way around. The light for caliber bullets, pushed really fast, are the ones that do more damage. Forcing cone erosion and flame cutting seem to be what happens.

Re: "Heavy for Caliber" Bullets - 10/14/2015 5:35 PM

Originally Posted By: 98Redline
In actuality I think it is the other way around. The light for caliber bullets, pushed really fast, are the ones that do more damage. Forcing cone erosion and flame cutting seem to be what happens.

True, but is that an issue for most revolvers? I mean, I've only ever heard of that being problematic on some of the mega-magnum cartridges like the 357 Maximum, 445 Supermag, and 460 S&W.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: "Heavy for Caliber" Bullets - 10/14/2015 5:35 PM

Originally Posted By: TM
I'll stick with the standard 240 gr. factory stuff in my 2 M29's, but can my SBH take a few of the 300 gr. stuff? Won't be a steady diet, just a cylinder or two once in a while.

Your SBH can take pretty much anything you throw at it - but that's not the case with your Model 29s.
Posted By: ahandgunhunter

Re: "Heavy for Caliber" Bullets - 10/14/2015 8:00 PM

I have always shot heavy for caliber. never had a issue.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: "Heavy for Caliber" Bullets - 10/14/2015 9:08 PM

Originally Posted By: ahandgunhunter
I have always shot heavy for caliber. never had a issue.

X2

Granted, I don't have thousands of loads through any of mine....yet. But I'm not concerned about them in the least bit. My loads all fit within published data ranges, so I don't expect a problem with my guns till long after I'm dead.
Posted By: S.B.

Re: "Heavy for Caliber" Bullets - 10/29/2015 6:21 PM

I would have to say it all depends on the gun you're using?
Steve
Posted By: Desertrat

Re: "Heavy for Caliber" Bullets - 11/05/2015 8:11 PM

Have shot a lot of Hornady 300gr. XTP in my Super Blackhawk...never saw any signs of pressure or problems with the brass as long as loads are kept in "safe range"....never had to hot rod the .44mag...it does its job if you do yours.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums