Handgunhunt

2015 Antelope Hunt

Posted By: Gregg Richter

2015 Antelope Hunt - 10/18/2015 6:58 PM

Just back from Wyoming where I hosted my 29th annual antelope hunt on the Durham Ranch.

For this year, the ranch allotted me 3 spots; I had two handgun hunters (one was my daughter in law) and one rifle hunter.

The weather was great and the hunting was fair to good, IMO. The ranch suffered a big die-off in the antelope herds about six years ago; thus I wasn't able to book enough hunters to call it the HHI 25th Anniversary Hunt, which was 2011. My allotment went from 16 to 2 or 3 spots per year since then.

My hunters were successful and posts on here will follow.

In the event the herds recover and I decide to host "The 25th Anniversary HHI Antelope Hunt," how many of you might be interested?

You may PM me if you wish.

Re: 2015 Antelope Hunt - 10/18/2015 8:40 PM

Two PM's so far. Main issue is the "fair to good." Of course everybody wants to book a hunt where it is "excellent hunting."

Let me digress. Those of you that have bought my DVD "Handgunning Mule Deer and Pronghorn Antelope" have seen the numbers of antelope we used to have on The Durham Ranch.

For me now to say that the hunting there is "fair to good" is based on those past years. For public land and or most other ranches, it would be considered "great to excellent." It is all in how the comparisons are made.

I can pretty much assure you of a shot at a buck antelope if you book with me (assuming you shoot a handgun capable of making a 150 yard shot or a bit more.) I can not guarantee the quality but it will be a good representative (13" or better more than likely) of the species. You will see what I mean in the pictures posted here in the next week or so. The camaraderie will be unequaled and there will be a drawing for prizes.

I am being very very conservative, which is how I have always represented my hunts.

For the first ten of you that respond I will send you a copy of my DVD for $10, including shipping. Free if you book.

Posted By: KRal

Re: 2015 Antelope Hunt - 10/18/2015 9:29 PM

Gregg, I responded, but I already have the DVD.

Re: 2015 Antelope Hunt - 10/19/2015 5:36 AM

PM sent.
Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Re: 2015 Antelope Hunt - 10/19/2015 2:39 PM

Looks like I am out, as I have no 150 yard gun ;^(.

But, I can say that a western plains antelope hunt is a ton of fun, and challenge. I spent a bit of time having a friendly debate with a buddy last week. He took a beauty of a lope at 425 yards. He was a marine and police sniper and likes his long shots. me, I like crawling around on my belly, trying to wiggle my fat butt behind those dinky little yucca plants, and getting close. Plus, I get great memories of the hunt, while the cactus needles fester themselves out of my knees for weeks, after the hunt.

For folks thinking it would be neat, I can assure you it is. And Gregg does know what he is doing.

Craig
Posted By: PythonHunter

Re: 2015 Antelope Hunt - 10/19/2015 6:19 PM

I'll also attest as my daughters and I had a great hunt during one of the down years. It was not unusual to see 75-125 goats each day and had plenty of chances to blow stalks.

PH
Posted By: Subsciber

Re: 2015 Antelope Hunt - 10/19/2015 8:13 PM

How many spots available & best guess @ cost. Thanks.

Re: 2015 Antelope Hunt - 10/20/2015 3:09 AM

Will send PM.

Re: 2015 Antelope Hunt - 10/20/2015 3:12 AM

Originally Posted By: PythonHunter
I'll also attest as my daughters and I had a great hunt during one of the down years. It was not unusual to see 75-125 goats each day and had plenty of chances to blow stalks.

PH

And you and your daughters were real troopers and you'all got your bucks!

(Even though your's was at the last minute...)

\:D
Posted By: sixshot

Re: 2015 Antelope Hunt - 10/20/2015 5:39 AM

You can't put on a hunt like this for that many years in a row without it being a first class operation. If you've never hunted antelope & want to try it this would be a great way to go.

Dick
Posted By: GlennS

Re: 2015 Antelope Hunt - 10/20/2015 11:11 AM

Originally Posted By: sixshot
You can't put on a hunt like this for that many years in a row without it being a first class operation. If you've never hunted antelope & want to try it this would be a great way to go.

Dick

+1
Posted By: Buttermilk

Re: 2015 Antelope Hunt - 10/20/2015 8:24 PM

Gregg,

PM sent. Very interested.

Regards,
Rog
Posted By: Subsciber

Re: 2015 Antelope Hunt - 10/21/2015 12:46 AM

Still waiting on my PM with info. Thanks.

Re: 2015 Antelope Hunt - 10/21/2015 5:05 PM

Sent. You are welcome.

\:\)
Posted By: Barbara Richter

Re: 2015 Antelope Hunt - 11/01/2015 7:40 PM

Thank you Gregg for providing a WONDERFUL HUNT! It was a fun filled family outing, that I will treasure forever!
Posted By: 3dcadman

Re: 2015 Antelope Hunt - 11/01/2015 8:39 PM

I am proud of my Wife, and greatful to my father. In fact here was Barbara's first big game outing, on the last HHI Antelope hunt. Lord willing the heard counts will be up, and the ranch will again allow Gregg to host the HHI Antelope Hunt, making it the 25th Anniversary. Where perhaps you can join us and experience the adventure for yourself. But until then, we can look back at past Little Gun Invitational Hunts:
2014 >>Article Coming Soon. Will update when it is posted.
2013 Little Gun Invitational Part 1, PythonHunter's story
2013 Little Gun Invitational PythonHunters young huntress Daughters

2013 Little Gun Invitational Part 2, my story
Posted By: abner

Re: 2015 Antelope Hunt - 11/02/2015 12:09 AM

Gregg - let me know if you do get to host the 25th anniversary hunt. I would be interested in getting the details and going. Thanks
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: 2015 Antelope Hunt - 11/02/2015 9:27 PM

Sent you a PM, but I already have the DVD. Thanks.
Posted By: abner

Re: 2015 Antelope Hunt - 11/07/2015 3:01 PM

PM sent. Thanks Gregg

Re: 2015 Antelope Hunt - 12/17/2015 5:05 PM

UPDATE: I had a long telephone meeting with the hunt manager of the ranch yesterday. Sorry but they are going to again limit me to just a few hunters for 2016.

2017 looks like it IS going to happen.

The good news though is that we will be taking some doe antelope as well in 2016, for the first time in five years, due to the herd numbers improving.

Contact me for info on the 2016 hunts.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums