Handgunhunt

How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting?

Posted By: Chance Weldon

How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/17/2015 11:11 PM

I'm planning to have my guns fully loaded, of course (one in the Encore, five in the 460). I also have a little belt holster that can carry up to ten rounds, in which I'll carry five extra rounds for both guns. So, sixteen rounds for me. A bit much, but I'd rather be covered in case I have multiple coyotes come up.

How much do you normally carry?
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/17/2015 11:18 PM

It depends on the tool for the day. For my 45 I have loops for 12 on my belt plus those in the gun. For my Contender I carry a speed stip on a caribeener that hangs from a belt loop and they hold 5 or 6 depending on the caliber, same for my GeeP 357. When I carry my 22/45 for small game I carry one spare mag in a maglite pouch plus a few rounds in the pocket just in case. Etc, etc, etc...
Posted By: Zee

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/17/2015 11:23 PM

A full cylinder or magazine and a relaod. In the case of a single shot, usually 5 total.

(Not including secondary weapon.)
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/17/2015 11:52 PM

20 rounds for my primary gun, and two cylinders, magazines, etc. for the backup.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/17/2015 11:58 PM

2 cylinders worth on any wheelgun. For my single shot, I take 5. That's what I leave camp with every day. My boxes of reloads are always at camp, filled before I leave home to go on the trip.
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/18/2015 12:07 AM

I load 10 in the Glock 20... Figure that covers any encounter I might have. With my Super Blackhawk Hunter I'll load 6 and carry 6.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/18/2015 12:29 AM

I always bring significantly more than I need, because when you don't you will need it.
Posted By: rlb

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/18/2015 4:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
I always bring significantly more than I need, because when you don't you will need it.

What he said and a few more for good measure.
Posted By: KRal

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/18/2015 12:53 PM

I bring a little more than I need; goes for guns as well.
Posted By: TM

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/18/2015 3:31 PM

One
Posted By: Randominator

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/18/2015 4:49 PM

5 rounds for single shots.
Wheelguns and autos, whatever the gun holds.
Posted By: Sam86

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/18/2015 5:44 PM

I have always carried 10 as a minimum no matter what gun it is. small game hunting or running the trap line I carry a 100 round cci plastic box that is full.
Posted By: SEAK

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/18/2015 7:08 PM

My field guns are all 44's so guns will be loaded plus and extra twenty or so. A couple shells will be like load for small game. Trouble bear often come in threes of fours and sometime you might get turned around a day or two. Help me shots in threes go though ammo fairly quick. I always leave a game plan at home
Posted By: 98Redline

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/18/2015 7:47 PM

Cylinder full and one reload, normally 12 rounds total.
Posted By: Still Hunter

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/18/2015 8:17 PM

A full cylinder, and a few in my pocket. I'm not going to war, and fully expect to only need one shot for hunting.

I hunted with a muzzleloader for years, and got used to having just one shot.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/18/2015 11:18 PM

Always my lucky #- 13 for each gun. Only time I ever used more than 3 was on elephant.
Posted By: karl

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/18/2015 11:24 PM

It depends on what I'm hunting, how many I can shoot, how I'm hunting and what I would be hunting with
single shot from a stand with a small party ~ 5 shots. This year I used 2 bullets about 5 min apart to shoot two deer in the same spot. Last year, I used 4 slugs on 2 deer in the same spot about 30 seconds apart.

If I was still hunting or walking in cover with a revolver with a red-dot or iron sights I would carry 10 or 12.

If I was hunting somewhere where there were animals in the woods that might cause bodily harm those numbers would increase.
Posted By: bluecow

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/18/2015 11:33 PM

more than i ever needed. but like SEAK said help shot come in 3s. although its a sbh i only load 5 ( if i get a colt or copy of then it will be the same manual of arms... ps there's a snows balls chance...of me getting another s/a ) so 10 a a bit more
Posted By: Casull Time

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/19/2015 1:44 AM

I usually bring 10 rounds with me
Posted By: Gary

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/19/2015 8:03 PM

Generally I'll take 10 because my ammo carrier holds 6.
Posted By: Ramjet-SS

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/20/2015 3:53 AM

I f I am crying my model 20 Longslide two 10 round mags one racked and one in my mag pouch.

If I am hunting with my ML three speed loaders and two mags for my CCW. Yes I CC when hunting just so happens that gun is also legal for hunting.

Rifles; Mag full plus extra then my CCW and two mags.........
Posted By: Mark454

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/20/2015 4:17 PM

I always carry full capacity, plus a full reload. I never know when the deer will turn vicious...
Posted By: wheeler45

Re: How many rounds of ammo do you bring hunting? - 11/20/2015 5:09 PM

1 box of 20.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums