Handgunhunt

Got my first handgun buck this morning!

Posted By: Chance Weldon

Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/21/2015 4:48 PM

We stepped outside into a light drizzle as the first rays of sunlight began to illuminate the eastern horizon. After putting the dog in his pen, my dad and I went our separate ways to different ends of the property, him with his Mark V 300 Weatherby Magnum, I with my T/C Encore 300 Winchester Magnum on my shoulder and my Smith and Wesson Model 460 on my hip. About ten minutes later, I was in my blind overlooking my 1 acre clover plot from its southeastern corner.

Before I even had time to get comfortable, I saw movement not even fifty yards away. A doe was walking down the northern treeline. She approached to within revolver range and stopped. Although I had decided to take a doe, there wasn't nearly enough light to make a shot. She evidently wasn't afraid, because I heard her trudging around just out of sight on the neighbor's property for the next thirty minutes.

Just after shooting light, I heard the distinctive sound of a 300 Weatherby bullet finding it's mark about a third of a mile to the east, where my dad was. More on that later.

I soon saw the doe again, this time in the neighbor's field, and she eventually wound up in my plot over 100 yards away. As I put the Encore on the tripod, I realized how unsteady I was, especially considering I was shaking like a leaf. I quickly figured out to put my foot on one of the tripod's supports so I could rest my elbow on my knee. However, the doe wouldn't stay still for long, and due to the slight curve in the plot, her vitals remained somewhat obscured. She soon vanished beyond the trees, and I saw her run off to the north.

For the next 45 minutes or so, I saw nothing. Then, while glancing toward the far end of the plot, I saw antlers ducking down. Big ones. I quickly got into position and put the Encore on the tripod to look through the scope. Nothing. I put the Encore down and raised my binoculars. Nothing. The buck must have been walking away from me when he put his head down, and I only caught a glimpse. I blew two grunts with my grunt tube, but nothing responded. Kicking myself for letting him escape my attention, I glassed the rest of the plot to ensure nothing was sneaking up on me. There wasn't, needless to say, so I looked one more time down the plot.

There he was, his rack and massive neck giving him away as a mature buck. I quickly got into position again when he put his head down to sniff at the ground. The crosshairs flew all over the place as buck fever took hold. He was slowly coming my way. Even the sight of a broken brow tine didn't deter me. This buck was going down.

I paused for a second. If he continued walking like that, he'd be within revolver range. Should I take him now, or should I wait? I estimated there was about a 50/50 chance he would either get within revolver range or leave the plot. The question was quickly answered when he turned north, toward the neighbor's field. I cocked the hammer back and took aim, the crosshairs still flying wildly all over him. I used two more grunt calls in a vain attempt at stopping him. It was only when I yelled "Hey, buck!" that he paused, perfectly broadside.

It's funny. While practicing, I have to force myself to inhale, slowly exhale, squeeze the trigger, and follow through. Now, though, I can't even recall doing so, it came to me so naturally. The crosshairs steadied as I exhaled, and I slowly began squeezing the trigger.

BOOM! I lost sight of him as the gun recoiled, the muzzle blast rattling the fabric of the blind. By the time I caught sight of him again, the buck jumped up and ran - all of two yards. I was out of the blind as he collapsed, throwing the Encore on my shoulder while drawing the 460 from its holster. There was no need for a follow up shot.

I was calm during the entire walk up to him. I was calm while I marveled at the size of both his body and rack. I was calm while I ranged my blind while standing over him - 98 yards. I was calm while walking back to the blind.

Then, the realization of what I'd done hit me. I had finally accomplished something I've dreamed of doing since taking the hunter safety course back in '07. I realized I just took my first deer with a handgun. I fell to my knees, nearly dropping the Encore because I was shaking so badly. Just typing this made me relive the lightheaded feeling I felt right then.

I would like to once again express my thanks to pab1 for selling me that amazing barrel, and to Zee for recommending the A-Max bullets for it. I would also like to thank each and every one of you on this forum for making this the best place on the internet to discuss our passion. You daggum enablers.

Combine this deer with my squirrel kills, and I can now say that, without a single shadow of a doubt, I am a handgun hunter!

P.S. My dad got this buck at almost the exact same spot as my sister's monster 9-point two weeks ago. I finally convinced him to try my handloads for his Weatherby, and I think he's quite pleased with them.

Posted By: nytracker

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/21/2015 4:57 PM

Way to go. ..
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/21/2015 5:03 PM

Great story!
So pleased for you-Congrats!!!
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/21/2015 5:24 PM

A big congratulations to you, Chance, on your first handgun buck! And a real nice one to boot!
Posted By: rlb

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/21/2015 5:34 PM

Oh that's cool. Great job and congratulations. That's a beautiful buck.
Posted By: Zee

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/21/2015 6:21 PM

Most excellent! Very proud of you! I haven't been here long, but I've deemed you a determined sort from all I've read of/from you. Well done!

I'm glad the A-Max worked for you. Did it exit or stay in the deer? If it exited, what was the exit wound like? Hit any bone?

Again, well done.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/21/2015 6:22 PM

Should have shot the doe. Now you'll never be able to experience shooting your first handgun buck again!!??
Way to go.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/21/2015 6:25 PM

Congrat's, Chance. Good thing your cuz couldn't make it, eh ;-)
Posted By: KYODE

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/21/2015 6:51 PM

Congrats. Great deer!
Posted By: rlb

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/21/2015 7:11 PM

So, did you make sure nobody filmed your "Happy Dance" for us to see later on youtube?
Posted By: SEAK

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/21/2015 7:28 PM

Good job on your first, look out Alaska and Africa.
Posted By: Casull Time

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/21/2015 9:03 PM

Congratulations - nice looking deer !

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/21/2015 11:38 PM

First off, thank you all for your kind words.
\:\)

Originally Posted By: Zee
I'm glad the A-Max worked for you. Did it exit or stay in the deer? If it exited, what was the exit wound like? Hit any bone?

I found what was left of the bullet lodged in his ribcage on the opposite side. The estimated impact velocity was 2565 fps.

I think the only bone it hit was rib. Didn't see any evidence it hit his shoulder. We also found the jacket to the 150 grain SST my dad used out of his 300 Weatherby:

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
Congrat's, Chance. Good thing your cuz couldn't make it, eh ;-)

Well, I'm not disappointed he couldn't come. He might be, though.

Originally Posted By: wvhitman
Should have shot the doe. Now you'll never be able to experience shooting your first handgun buck again!!??
Way to go.

I can still look forward to my first handgun doe. Honestly, I really want a doe. That'll be much better eating.

Originally Posted By: rlb
So, did you make sure nobody filmed your "Happy Dance" for us to see later on youtube?

\:\(
Sorry everyone, no video. He would have been a good one to film, though. It's not like he was in a hurry, so I could have gotten the camera on him with little trouble. Hindsight's always 20/20.

When we were at the check in station, the three game wardens and about a half dozen other hunters came up to get a good look at our bucks. They all thought it was the coolest thing when I said I got him with a handgun at about 100 yards. One kid in particular was quite amazed when he found out you could even hunt with a handgun.

Edit: Almost forgot to add: While inspecting him, the game wardens determined he was a 4 1/2 year old. You don't see a mature buck like that everyday, especially here in Tennessee. I would have thought my sister's buck was older than this one, but hers was only 3 1/2.
Posted By: Darrell H

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 12:16 AM

Congratulations, great shooting and great buck!
Posted By: Boot

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 12:23 AM

Congratulations on your harvest, and on a great buck! That's awesome!

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 12:47 AM

168 grain A-Max?

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Ernie
168 grain A-Max?

155 grain.

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 12:57 AM

Thanks. Couldn't remember.
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 12:59 AM

Congratulations on a Great Buck. I'm sure he is the first of many.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 1:05 AM

Great job Chance! That is awesome! Very happy for ya. Nothing like getting it done with a handgun.

CONGRATS!!!!!
Posted By: Brenden

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 1:32 AM

Good job man! That's some awesome stuff right there.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 1:54 AM

WTG Chance,AWESOME BUCK!!!!!
Posted By: WiseGuy

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 2:42 AM

Heck of a nice deer! Hopefully many more to follow. Congrats

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 2:44 AM

The bullet did well.

I was concerned at first that you might be pushing the bullet a little fast, but in reality, you're probably around .308 velocities with the shorter barrel.

I would have been surprised if it had exited.

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 2:54 AM

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised with it, especially considering that's the shortest distance I've ever had a deer run.

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 2:57 AM

A-Max bullets are awesome! Just gotta tailor weight to velocity.
Posted By: pab1

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 3:24 AM

Congratulations! That's a nice buck! Glad to see that barrel being used!
Posted By: KRal

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 5:17 AM

Congrats on your first; a very nice first!
Posted By: dhom

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 10:54 AM

Great job!!!
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 1:14 PM

Congratulations Chance - great deer!

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 1:22 PM

Agreed.
I would consider the 168 or maybe the 178.
Again, depends on the MV.
 Originally Posted By: Zee
A-Max bullets are awesome! Just gotta tailor weight to velocity.

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 2:23 PM

I'll probably try out a heavier bullet next year. Anything in the 165 to 180 grain range would be ideal.
Posted By: cmnash

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 8:55 PM

Good job on getting it done on a great buck!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/22/2015 10:58 PM

Way to go Chance.... Good for you...
Posted By: eastex

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/23/2015 4:00 AM

Congrats brother that is a very nice deer, whether it's your first with a handgun or not!
Posted By: MIHunter

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/23/2015 8:50 AM

Awesome!
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/23/2015 1:33 PM

Nicely done! Congratulations!
Posted By: PythonHunter

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/23/2015 2:02 PM

Congrats Chance. Your family has had a heck of a season already.
Posted By: BBwheelgunner

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/23/2015 7:46 PM

that is an awful nice first one! congrats!

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/23/2015 9:00 PM

Thanks, guys!

I got to looking back through my older hunting pictures, and I noticed something interesting. Here's a picture of my 2012 rifle buck, my personal record:

Compare him to my handgun buck:

Not only is he my first handgun buck, I think he's also my biggest buck ever.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/24/2015 12:02 AM

I never get tired of reading first handgun kill stories or just handgun kills in general. Huge congrats and well done. You are now properly initiated! There is something about handgun hunting that no other hunting seems to have;it never gets old. I still get just as excited killing a nice fat doe or a fat juicy hog as I did the first time. Once again huge congrats.
Posted By: csherrill

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/24/2015 12:19 AM

Congratulations!!! Thanks for sharing your story. I must compliment you on your story telling as well. I truly enjoyed it.

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/24/2015 2:08 AM

Thanks! Glad you liked my recollection. I was kind of afraid I'd made it a bit long.
Posted By: Sam86

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/24/2015 12:41 PM

good on ya, I know I haven't been here long but I know that's been a long time coming for you... congrats!!!
Posted By: thadf

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/24/2015 7:42 PM

Holy cow dude!! You got them things tied up out back or something?!!!! LOL

Very nice deer and a heck of a write up. Congrats.
Posted By: Spencer

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/25/2015 12:16 PM

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!

A true wall hanger to boot!!
Posted By: Rick

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/25/2015 1:58 PM

Congratulations. Awesome buck.
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/26/2015 9:50 PM

Big Congrats on your first deer -- a dandy buck indeed! Hope there is many more in your future.
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/27/2015 4:32 AM

Congrats! You welcomed me here in the "Roll Call 2" thread a few months back .... Nice to see you crossed paths with a real trophy.
Posted By: hrh2k

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/28/2015 2:49 AM

Wow, God job!!!!! Hope I'm as lucky as you next year (if you can even say it's luck)
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/28/2015 6:50 PM

Man u sure did drudge up some awesome memories for me. Thanks for that write up and pics!!! Congrats

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/29/2015 4:35 AM

Originally Posted By: hrh2k
Wow, God job!!!!! Hope I'm as lucky as you next year (if you can even say it's luck)

I was just wondering about you today. How did your season go?
Posted By: hrh2k

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/29/2015 5:23 AM

Ended up shooting my buck with my rifle, wasn't able to stand hunt like I wanted. Put the rest of hunting season towards elk, but they didn't cooperate

Looking on putting in lots more practice in the off season so I'll have more opportunities next year!

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/29/2015 5:58 AM

Ah, well, better luck next year. That's definitely the attitude to have after a less than stellar season.

Congrats on the buck, by the way.
Posted By: Gary

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 11/29/2015 7:03 PM

That's a great first buck with a handgun - congratulations!

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 05/24/2016 10:43 PM

I got a call from Grogan's Taxidermy on Saturday that my buck was ready, so yesterday I made a trip over to Arlington, Kentucky to pick it up. The taxidermist did a great job on it.

Posted By: PsTaN

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 05/25/2016 3:28 AM

Beautiful mount!

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 05/25/2016 5:24 AM

Very nice!!!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 05/25/2016 8:22 AM

Chance, I`am proud of you. You stuck with it and took a great whitetail for your first handgun kill. I am glad we had the chance to talk and happy that you did not need that TC barrel after all.....Can`t wait to see what`s next for you. Sincerely, James
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Got my first handgun buck this morning! - 05/25/2016 10:43 AM

He"s a nice one, way to go Chance!!!!!!
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums