Handgunhunt

Sunday afternoon blessing.

Posted By: Boot

Sunday afternoon blessing. - 11/25/2015 2:15 PM

Tiny bit of history. This doe is the first deer I've brought home in 2 seasons. Due to life getting in the way (new job running me all over the country) and enjoying a lot of time with my new grandson, I haven't had time to scout/hunt like I used to. A friend of mine has let me hunt a little with him, on some property he has access to, and Sunday afternoon I finally connected. She isn't a monster by any means, but its still a blessing and a handgun success. The past 2 years have been tough hunting for me, and I was ecstatic when she fell at the shot. With the way that little red dot was wobbling around, you'd have thought I was looking at a world record trophy buck! Lol. Distance was 50 yds. Thanks for peeping the post, I just wanted to share my blessing with folks that actually "get" handgun hunting.
Posted By: Zee

Re: Sunday afternoon blessing. - 11/25/2015 2:21 PM

Good for you!
Posted By: thadf

Re: Sunday afternoon blessing. - 11/25/2015 2:29 PM

congrats. She looks good to me!
Posted By: Spencer

Re: Sunday afternoon blessing. - 11/25/2015 2:36 PM

Way to go!!!

I've been saying to all the "trophy hunters" on facebook that when it's 10 degrees, the wind is howling, the snow is blowing, and the fire is ripping in the fireplace, the smell of venison stew or chili is a lot better than tag soup. Awesome doe, made better that it was taken with a handgun....and now there is meat in the freezer. WAY TO GO!!!!
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Sunday afternoon blessing. - 11/25/2015 2:42 PM

Quote:
I just wanted to share my blessing with folks that actually "get" handgun hunting.

Thanks for sharing, and GOOD ON YA ;-)
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Sunday afternoon blessing. - 11/25/2015 2:46 PM

Congrats! Anything taken with a handgun is a trophy.
Posted By: PythonHunter

Re: Sunday afternoon blessing. - 11/25/2015 2:47 PM

Congrats and good eating!
Posted By: Darrell H

Re: Sunday afternoon blessing. - 11/25/2015 3:11 PM

Congrats Boot! What load are you using these days? It's hard to tell from the photo, but are you still running the fastfire on the Blackhawk? Good to see you back in action!
Posted By: KRal

Re: Sunday afternoon blessing. - 11/25/2015 3:13 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: Casull Time

Re: Sunday afternoon blessing. - 11/25/2015 3:40 PM

Congratulations !!
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: Sunday afternoon blessing. - 11/25/2015 4:57 PM

Nice doe and congratulations!
Posted By: Boot

Re: Sunday afternoon blessing. - 11/25/2015 5:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Darrell H
Congrats Boot! What load are you using these days? It's hard to tell from the photo, but are you still running the fastfire on the Blackhawk? Good to see you back in action!

Hey Darrell, yes, I'm using the Fastfire 3, I just love that little sight and can't seem to warm up to the tube style red dots. Sorry for the cruddy pic on the post. I can't figure out how to size them correctly so they are clear on the forum posts. (I'll never be accused of being computer literate) The clear pic is on the bragging board, along with a couple I added of entrance/exit wounds. I'm shooting a load that my son-in-law worked up for me, as I haven't had time to load anything in a long while. It was a 240gr XTP, in new nickel starline brass, over 23.5gr of H110 with a CCI mag primer. Not quite a max load, but they just all go thru the same ragged hole at 25y. By far, the most accurate load I've tried yet. The doe was quartering HARD towards me, and was about to step into the woods again, so I made the best of the opportunity that she presented. The XTP entered just to the inside of her right front shoulder, and exited about half way back on the left side of her ribcage. Exit wound was nearly an inch. I was impressed to say the least. Somehow, I got super lucky, never hit any guts and had zero meat loss. Her lungs were completely destroyed and she fell DRT at the shot. Thanks for all the kind words guys. It feels good to have some time again, to hunt, and post here, and enjoy everything those bring about.
Posted By: Darrell H

Re: Sunday afternoon blessing. - 11/25/2015 5:22 PM

Thanks for the additional details, congrats again!

Darrell
Posted By: ahandgunhunter

Re: Sunday afternoon blessing. - 11/25/2015 6:01 PM

sweet!
Posted By: Brenden

Re: Sunday afternoon blessing. - 11/25/2015 11:30 PM

Glad you were able to go hunting. Congratulations
Posted By: junebug

Re: Sunday afternoon blessing. - 11/25/2015 11:41 PM

Way to go Boot,nicely done.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Sunday afternoon blessing. - 11/26/2015 12:55 AM