Handgunhunt

OM Super Blackhawk Christening

Posted By: KRal

OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/26/2015 3:58 PM

A short time back, I contacted "sixshot" about some of his .429 powder coated cast hollow point bullets. I was interested in trying them in my short tubed FA 83, but that didn't work out. No problem, I had a OM Super that I purchased for a future project gun and I knew they would work in it.

I got it zeroed (barely had enough elevation adjustment), but it shot well.

Fast forward to yesterday... I decided I needed to test the OM and some "sixshot" bullets. A couple days ago, I found a post oak tree with a lot of deer sign under it and figured it would be the prime spot to do the testing. The wind was right yesterday, so I knew where I was going.

Got perched in a pine tree with video camera and OM at around 3:00pm and anticipations were high.

(Before leaving the house, I had to dress up the front sight a bit with some whiteout; so I could see it)

At approximately 4:30'ish, I could here movement from a deep hollow in the cutover. A couple squirrels started barking and I knew something was up and moving; hoping it was deer.
Fifteen minutes later, a big doe emerged from the jungle of briars; followed by two more. I powered up the video camera and readied the Blackhawk. There were three does: one big mature doe and two good sized ones. My intent was to shoot the big mature doe, but she was less than cooperative with the camera, so I took one that was and presenting a good shot. She turned broadsided, presenting a great shoulder shot at 30 yards. Fortunately, the wind was blowing hard enough to mask the ...click....click...click....click of the hammer coming back. Double checking the view finder, she's still centered....sights acquired.....focus on the front sight...focus....squeeze.......and this was at the end of a short blood trail.

Although a trailing job wasn't needed, as she was seen going down 50 yards away.

Shot was on target; entering center of right shoulder, passing through both lungs, breaking offside shoulder and stopping underneath the hide on offside shoulder.

It also broke a rib going in and going out...

The retrieve bullet weighed in at...

...which started off at 255 grns.

At the end of the day, the bullet did it's job. I think it performed fairly well considering what all it went through.

The load was the 255 grn cast hollow point over 10 grns of Unique. I haven't clocked the load yet due to time constraints, but I estimate it around 1100-1150 fps.

I'll let sixshot and GlennS elaborate a little more on the bullet, as they know more about it than I.
Posted By: Darrell H

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/26/2015 4:02 PM

Awesome job and great report KRal! Congratulations!!
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/26/2015 4:55 PM

Congrats! Looks like that bullet worked perfectly.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/26/2015 5:13 PM

Good show, Kim. It looks like that bullet worked well on that doe.
Posted By: kalhoon

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/26/2015 5:39 PM

Congrats on a fine deer.Also great story and photos.
Posted By: Spencer

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/26/2015 5:48 PM

Love that SBH!!! looks awesome. great shooting.
Now it's time to cut up the deer and get her in the freezer. I know a guy that makes great knives. I'm sure he can hook you up with one. Let me know if you want his number.
;\)
Posted By: FAH

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/26/2015 6:00 PM

Great shot, great pics, and great report!
Thanks
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/26/2015 6:02 PM

Great job Kim as usual!
Posted By: WiseGuy

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/26/2015 6:03 PM

The "Outlaw" strikes again. Congrats again buddy
Posted By: sixshot

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/26/2015 6:34 PM

Very well done Kim, thats about as good as you can expect from any hollow point when it takes out 2 ribs & both shoulders. Not sure a jacketed bullet of the same weight could have done any better than that & you placed it perfect. I like the round HP as opposed to the Penta HP that Miha makes, it gives more penetration instead of the petals busting off. With the Penta HP its better to shoot for the lungs as they shed pretty fast in my limited testing. Congratulations on a fine kill.

Dick

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/26/2015 7:05 PM

Thanks, gentlemen!

Dick,
I was impressed with the results. I think that will my load for that gun. My next test will be the 385 HP in my 475; probably won't be able to catch it in a southern whitetail though. It shoots great in my gun.
Posted By: GlennS

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/26/2015 8:21 PM

That's awesome! I agree with Dick, much prefer the round Hp slugs. How did the video come out?
Posted By: Zee

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/26/2015 9:11 PM

Well done! Beautiful doe and gun.
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/26/2015 9:37 PM

Congrats -- job well done!

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/26/2015 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: GlennS
...... How did the video come out?

Not bad, considering the camera man was preoccupied with shooting a deer.
Posted By: Rick

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/26/2015 10:56 PM

Nice job.
Posted By: Brenden

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/26/2015 11:17 PM

Great shot on a beautiful deer!
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/27/2015 4:15 AM

Nice. Shot placement was almost identical to my buck from last year ... With 10mm. Deer was down in 35 yards.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/27/2015 5:17 AM

KRal,

Nice work with the irons!!! Congratulations on your MS backstraps!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/27/2015 7:16 PM

I swear I saw this show on Outdoor Channel.. Good shootin my friend.

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 11/28/2015 2:48 PM

I just did my first attempt at posting a video on the members video page; hope it'll work out.
Posted By: cottonstalk

Re: OM Super Blackhawk Christening - 12/02/2015 9:55 PM

Nice shooting, as well as that om you have is looker. Congrats
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums