Handgunhunt

trio with 240 Gr XTP

Posted By: SnookNTarpon

trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/08/2015 8:14 PM

Shot 3 deer the same morning with my 7.5" 629 Stealth hunter with Vortex Venom red dot. 38, 58 and 72 yards. Factory Fiocchi extrema ammo (advertised at 1350 fps but chrono at 1200).

None ran more than 20 yards, but I feel that I need to change ammo. The bullets (none recovered) seem to have expanded little. They did their job, but with whitetail being so thin skinned, I wonder if I should not just go with a home defense bullet that expands faster and is not as hard as the XTP.

Thoughts anyone? I have shot bigger, heavier game with this same bullet but reloaded and shooting at 1290fps and they all mushroomed well and many bullets were recovered.

Leave it alone? Get it to speed up? Shoot a different bullet?

Still so much fun.
SnT
Posted By: Zee

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/08/2015 8:22 PM

I have had good luck with the 240gr XTP, but you are correct.......it doesn't seem to expand much at the lower end of velocity.

On a side note......How do you like the Vortex Venom Red Dot? I've considered getting one.

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/08/2015 9:13 PM

The Vortex venom is awesome!. My first time with it as I went to the range to verify zero on my 44 with the zeiss compact point. It shut off. Second time in a year i send it back. eBay... So i have the venom overnighted. Have about 200 rounds through it. Wish the lowest setting was duller but it is fine. On auto the lowest setting is too bright, so i keep mine on manual.

I did have to machine the pica tinny base to fit the Weaver base on my gun, and used an old weaver scope base to jury rig a permanent base for this thing. I would definitely recommend it.

What speed do you shoot them at? I was hoping for 1350...
SnT
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/08/2015 10:01 PM

Quote:
Thoughts anyone?

It is hard to argue with results, 3 dead deer and none going further than 20 yards......

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/08/2015 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: SnookNTarpon

What speed do you shoot them at? I was hoping for 1350...
SnT

My SBH pushes them at 1,414 fps and my .430 SJS pushes them at 2,354 fps.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/09/2015 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Zee
my .430 SJS pushes them at 2,354 fps.

What's a 430 SJS?
Posted By: Subsciber

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/09/2015 12:21 AM

How big a hole do you want? If your worried about them traveling 20yds. then learn the shoulder/spine shot, wait for it to present itself, and drop 'em on the spot, no tracking.

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/09/2015 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf

What's a 430 SJS?

A wildcat based off the .308 Win case a buddy of mine designed and I'm testing for him.

I've smoked two hogs with it, he a bear, and another friend has taken a deer. Works pretty well.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/09/2015 12:34 AM

A really good whitetail bullet is the Re. 240 gr. HP. Soft, expands well, delivers excellent shock. I've always found .44 and .454 XTPs to be too hard.

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/09/2015 2:43 AM

What's a 430 SJS?

A wildcat based off the .308 Win case a buddy of mine designed and I'm testing for him.

I've smoked two hogs with it, he a bear, and another friend has taken a deer. Works pretty well.

Well that sounds neat. What's it designed for? T/Cs? AR-10s?

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/09/2015 2:46 AM

On the subject at hand, they seem to be doing their job if the deer aren't running more than 20 yards. I say keep using them.

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/09/2015 3:06 AM

What's a 430 SJS?

Well that sounds neat. What's it designed for? T/Cs? AR-10s?

Designed to meet cartridge requirements in states like Michigan with case length and caliber restrictions. Yet, at the same time, function in a bolt action.

It's a .308 Win case cut to 1.8" and blown out to .44cal which, after fire forming, becomes a straight wall.

Currently I have a test rifle chambered for it. But, am considering chambering an Encore pistol as one........just for laughs.
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/09/2015 3:07 AM

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:
Thoughts anyone?

It is hard to argue with results, 3 dead deer and none going further than 20 yards......

Yes...what is wrong with that scenario?

\:\)
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/09/2015 3:17 AM

Anybody remember the .44 Rhino?
Posted By: cottonstalk

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/09/2015 3:56 AM

3 shots, 3 deers in freezer,job done. The xtp is a controlled expansion projectile. From my personal experience the faster you drive them the better they perform. I worked up a smoking hot load with the 240 that's nasty on whitetail. Remington half jackets and winchester white box may be more what your looking for.

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/12/2015 1:18 PM

I hear you all with the 20 yard run all is good comments. I am not complaining at all, but I wish I had a little more expansion - energy unloaded inside the animal. One deer was shot quartering to me and bullet entered in front right shoulder and exited rear opposite ham. Same run (more of a walk) 20 yards, but exit was caliber size, so little expansion.

I doubt i can get this thing to shoot XTP's much faster than 1350 and keep it comfortable to shoot. Used to shooting bigger tougher game with this bullet and that is why I like the XTP's so much, but it seems whitetails are not going to grow bigger and tougher in my lifetime. Surely there are some that are tougher and bigger, i just haven't had the luck to chase them with the revolver yet.

Softer JHP's or Half jackets as suggested may be the ticket... Thanks for your replies. Now going to try to upload some pics...
Posted By: wheeler45

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/12/2015 4:41 PM

That would be a legal Indiana deer rifle cartridge.
Posted By: junebug

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/13/2015 6:07 AM

You might try the Rem.jhp. or the Sierra hp. for a softer bullet.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/13/2015 7:52 PM

What type of terminal performance did you expect from the XTP`s on your deer??
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/16/2015 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: wvhitman
A really good whitetail bullet is the Re. 240 gr. HP. Soft, expands well, delivers excellent shock. I've always found .44 and .454 XTPs to be too hard.

Exactly!

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/18/2015 5:16 PM

So I just worked over 50 cartridges and opened the hollow point with an 11/64" drill and deepened it by 0.100"
Resulting projectile now weighs 9 grains less.
Hope to post results before the end of the year.

Merry everything to everyone!
Posted By: sw282

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/20/2015 6:53 AM

Snook----l tried that once. Then l shot a couple ''patterns'' with them. Hornady does a LOT better job centering those hollow points than l ever could :--(
Posted By: Ramjet-SS

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/21/2015 12:29 AM

I hear you all with the 20 yard run all is good comments. I am not complaining at all, but I wish I had a little more expansion - energy unloaded inside the animal. One deer was shot quartering to me and bullet entered in front right shoulder and exited rear opposite ham. Same run (more of a walk) 20 yards, but exit was caliber size, so little expansion.

I doubt i can get this thing to shoot XTP's much faster than 1350 and keep it comfortable to shoot. Used to shooting bigger tougher game with this bullet and that is why I like the XTP's so much, but it seems whitetails are not going to grow bigger and tougher in my lifetime. Surely there are some that are tougher and bigger, i just haven't had the luck to chase them with the revolver yet.

Softer JHP's or Half jackets as suggested may be the ticket... Thanks for your replies. Now going to try to upload some pics...

You should check out Dynamic Research Technology thier design dumps completely inside the organic matter I have taken several head of game DRT
Posted By: RedSS

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 12/21/2015 1:04 AM

Shot 3 deer the same morning...None ran more than 20 yards, but I feel that I need to change ammo...They did their job...Thoughts anyone?

IMO, you just answered your own question. There is only one degree of dead. I'm also partial to the "if it ain't broke, fix it until it is" mentality, but in all seriousness, if the load/bullet is accurate for your needs and your game is on the ground within 20 yards of the shot, what's the need to worry?

Personally, I prefer both an entry and exit to leak blood instead of one, whether it's an arrow, modern bullet, or round ball.
Posted By: countryrebel

Re: trio with 240 Gr XTP - 01/14/2016 4:27 AM

I'd say keep using them. The 240xtp is my go to bullet but I reload mine to 1450fps in my SRH. I have also used soft points and the deer are just as dead but I get better accuracy with the xtp's. Hornady claims 900-2200fps working range on the 240xtp.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums