Handgunhunt

What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose???

Posted By: Ernie

What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 2:03 AM

IF your revolver was a "back up" for dangerous game (not your primary weapon) like brown bear, which revolver would you choose, barrel length, sights, holster (where on your body), and bullet would you choose and why? [u][/u]
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 2:34 AM

Wow,the one gun in my collection would be a RBH in 45 colt, 5.5", I would be using a 300 gr. bullet loaded hotter than hell, for close up shots, I would prefer a 454.
Posted By: Hoggin

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 2:40 AM

For brown bear and larger critters 454 is prob the best option.

Something 5" ish. So it's quick the handle.
Posted By: Casull Time

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 2:51 AM

Smith & Wesson 329 PD 44 Mag (25 Ounces empty)

4" Barrel

Iron sights

Biggest bullet I can get
\:\)
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 3:15 AM

I'd take my only revolver - a Smith and Wesson Model 460XVR. Load it with some 360 to 395 grain cast bullets or other penetrating bullets. I could probably get it out of my hip holster more quickly than my current bandolier holster, as long as I'm standing.

May not be the best set up, but I'd take it over nothing at all any day of the week.
Posted By: Craig44

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 4:15 AM

A 4 5/8" Ruger Bisley, in any of the following chamberings with their respective bullets at 1100-1200fps.

.44Mag - 330gr or 355gr Beartooth
.45Colt - 360gr CPBC
.475 - 425gr CPBC
.500JRH - 440gr CPBC
.500Linebaugh - 525gr CPBC
Posted By: billa

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 4:23 AM

If Brown bear is the issue. I would get a short barreled 460 X frame with 300 gr XTPs. Currently I carry a 3 3/4" RSB Bisley with either 240 or 300 gr XTPs or a Redhawk 44 mag with the same load. Open iron sights. Carry crossdraw in a simply rugged holster.
Posted By: Zee

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 9:56 AM

5" Ruger SRH Toklat in .454 Casull with 350gr WFN-GC bullets in a chest rig or cross-draw holster.
Posted By: bluecow

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 10:38 AM

as you asked for back up; my primary would be my 458 win mag rifle,built on a springfield action. so my single six. strong side carry, thats where i carry my duty, cc, and hunting handguns. single six for potting grouse, rabbits, cans, ect. i might even use the magnum cylinder.
Posted By: dhom

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 10:51 AM

My back up would be a 45 Colt with 325-360 gr WFN hardcast [ approx. 1200 fps] with 5 1/2" barrel carried in a chest holster. Although, talking to the guys at Magnum Research most people that have to face that situation more often than me prefer a short barreled 475 or 500 caliber. I have a 475 but, for up close and personal protection I feel I can handle a heavy loaded 45 Colt better.

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 12:50 PM

So, where you going as you need such a tool? Details man!!
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 2:38 PM

Assuming this backup would be for use against said dangerous game I think the new Ruger Redhawk 4.2" in 45 Colt would do nicely, fully stoked with a heavy (325 - 340 grain) hardcast or solid (with a wide meplat) and fitted with green fiber optic front and ghost ring rear sights, carried in a crossdraw belt holster.

I find crossdraw is easiest to access quickly while keeping out of the way when not needed. If I could have a gun special made it would be similar to above but in 480 Ruger with the SRH grip spur, just becasue I would't mind a little more displacement and weight for penetration and effect, and could also use the Hogue Tamer grip for better control and comfort.
Posted By: cherokeetracker

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 2:50 PM

I would and do carry my RBH (Bisley) with 4 5/8 barrel loaded with Garrett's 365 grain Hammer Heads. Of course, it carries in my chest holster.
Posted By: archr610

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 3:32 PM

I curious as to why some of you would prefer a single action as an emergency back up weapon. I'm thinking if a large critter that's going to do me harm, is upon me I want to be able to just point and click as opposed to having to thumb the hammer also.
Posted By: Russell

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 3:35 PM

Ruger 4" Redhawk, crossdraw, loaded with my handloads using 296/110 under a home cast 300gr'er. I shoot this load well from this gun and crossdraw gives me access with either hand.
Posted By: sixshot

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 6:01 PM

At least a 44 caliber with heavy, cast bullets & a few shot loads in my pocket in case a grouse or bunny pops up. I'd want a 4-5 1/2" barrel in a holster that was opposite of my rifle on a sling so they don't bump each other. I've heard the double action/single action argument before but don't really think its much of a real factor, which ever one you prefer & shoot best is going to work best. Also, I like a heavy gun, light guns are nice to pack but are brutal to shoot with heavy loads & hitting is pretty important if Brown Bear is on the menu. I'd rather sacrifice a few ounces somewhere else & have a little heavier gun than a lightweight cannon that recoils past my ear with every shot, just my opinion.

Dick
Posted By: 98Redline

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 6:27 PM

SuperRedhawk in 480R cut to 5" and carried in a chest holster.

420gr WFN over as much H110 as I could get in the case.
Posted By: SEAK

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 6:50 PM

My main gun is 44mag and so is my shorter one. Getting old so 270gr HC at 1,200fps is my best using load in my 3 3/4" SBH runs faster out of my 9 1/2" SRH
Posted By: billa

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 8:16 PM

Originally Posted By: SEAK
My main gun is 44mag and so is my shorter one. Getting old so 270gr HC at 1,200fps is my best using load in my 3 3/4" SBH runs faster out of my 9 1/2" SRH

Please note that the guy that actually lives in bear country trusts a heavy loaded 44 magnum for bear medicine! Thats good enough for me.
Posted By: wvhitman

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/09/2016 11:29 PM

Been there, done that.
AK- .500 S&W 6", 375X first, then 4 400 gr. Cast Performance.
Africa- 7 1/2" FA .475 Linebaugh, 395 gr. BRP casts.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/10/2016 1:28 AM

My "first" backup better be my guide with his rifle while I'm accessing my personal backup, which would be at least a 454 of some sort.
Posted By: sw282

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/10/2016 7:41 AM

l have a S&W 629 44Magnum revolver in 3''. Carried as my backup it would Grizzly Ammos' 44s 300gr Punch bullet load. MV 1250fps
Posted By: junebug

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/10/2016 4:17 PM

I would choose one of my .45 colts with at least a 300 gr bullet.
Hard cast with a big meplat[Hammerhead].It would probably be the 4 5/8th BH.[Lighter to carry more familar and has Pachmayr grips that don't get slick when wet]or the 5 1/2 in. Bisley in stainless.Carried crossdraw to be out of the way and still be accesiable. My 7 1/2 Super Redhawk in .480 is to big and heavy, and weight would be a factor for me. I also trust my .45's.

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/11/2016 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: archr610
I curious as to why some of you would prefer a single action as an emergency back up weapon. I'm thinking if a large critter that's going to do me harm, is upon me I want to be able to just point and click as opposed to having to thumb the hammer also.

When you spend as much time as I do shooting single actions, slapping the hammer back is much more natural than just jerking the trigger. Single actions also tend to be more comfortable to shoot with heavy loads and that leads to greater proficiency. Although I do agree that the average shooter is probably better served with a double action.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/11/2016 1:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Craig44
 Originally Posted By: archr610

When you spend as much time as I do shooting single actions, slapping the hammer back is much more natural than just jerking the trigger. Single actions also tend to be more comfortable to shoot with heavy loads and that leads to greater proficiency. Although I do agree that the average shooter is probably better served with a double action.

I agree with this, however I would add that shooting a DA revolver in a heavy kicking caliber in DA mode is very difficult to master.

I would also suggest that the revolver you choose be the one you are most comfortable and proficient with, in the biggest caliber you can shoot well. Big bullets leave bigger impressions.
Posted By: bullsi1911

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/11/2016 2:09 PM

pretty much this gun:
http://ruger.com/products/superRedhawkStandard/specSheets/5517.html
A heavy hard cast bullet.
Posted By: Okie Hunter

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/12/2016 3:13 AM

Arch610, if you look on youtube, there is a video of Whitworth speed shooting a Freedom Arms 454 Casull.
Posted By: Brian375hh

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/12/2016 4:40 AM

5" BFR in 475 linebaugh. cross draw as others have said
Posted By: vern

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/13/2016 1:34 AM

My backup will be my 6.5" 500 S&W with MB 400gr Crusher or the Sierra 400gr flat nose with the Diamond chest holster.
Posted By: TM

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/14/2016 4:39 PM

Originally Posted By: bullsi1911
pretty much this gun:

Yup, only change I would make, which I already did, would be to change the front sight to a gold bead, or fiber optic.

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/14/2016 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: TM
 Originally Posted By: bullsi1911
pretty much this gun:

Yup, only change I would make, which I already did, would be to change the front sight to a gold bead, or fiber optic.

Concur.
Posted By: Ramjet-SS

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/20/2016 2:27 AM

This would be my choice with a 355 Grain hard cast bullet.

http://www.ruger.com/products/superRedhawkAlaskan/specSheets/5302.html
Posted By: tradmark

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/20/2016 4:57 AM

a monometal solid or an old school carbon penetrator out of a ruger double action 454.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/21/2016 10:57 PM

To me it really depends on the definition of back up. If I was carrying one of my .416s and might have to finish the hunt with a revolver then my 7.5".480 with 355gr cast at 1450fps. If I was going to have to shoot it out with a brown bear that was chewing on my toes I wouldn't have a revolver in my hand. That's what the .460 Rowland with the hot solids is for. There are several documented stops on bad bears with them. The comp keeps them on target and the factory loaded penetrater have split big bear skulls when it mattered. Being able to hit the bear 12 times in a matter of seconds has to come into play.

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/21/2016 11:25 PM

The only down side with a semiauto would be if you were in contact with the animal {chewing on your toes or other parts]
you could push the slide out of battery and have a failure to fire,or trip the mag release and have a failure to feed. Revolvers can fail too so I would not feel unguned with a semi I trusted, and if you don't trust it you shouldn't carry it .J.M.H.O.
Posted By: BRASF0311

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/22/2016 3:31 AM

Originally Posted By: 98Redline
SuperRedhawk in 480R cut to 5" and carried in a chest holster.

420gr WFN over as much H110 as I could get in the case.

I agree with 98Redline.

But this may be more to your liking.

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/23/2016 4:01 AM

Originally Posted By: BRASF0311
But this may be more to your liking.

Lol, that might work.

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/23/2016 2:13 PM

If he's in close and it arms, the back blast may be as hard on the shooter as bear.Nice big hole though.

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/23/2016 5:01 PM

Originally Posted By: junebug
Nice big hole though.

In the bear, or in the ground where the bear was?
;\)
Posted By: Gregg Richter

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/23/2016 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf
Nice big hole though.

In the bear, or in the ground where the bear was?
;\)

\:D

My custom .475 Linebaugh with heavy cast bullets.

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/23/2016 10:59 PM

So Ernie. What say you on a backup for Brown Bear in the thick stuff.
I chose my .45's as I already have them. I am very familiar with them,trust them,and know what they will do and what I am capable of doing with them. Riding crossdraw the 4 5/8th is my constant companion in the woods.The 7 1/2 in .480 Super Redhawk is just too heavy and just dosen't point as quick or as well for me.
Posted By: Snyd

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/30/2016 3:16 AM

Sorry guys but I just can't see a "backup" gun being an X-Frame hanging off your chest. Or anything in a chest holster for that matter. No matter if your primary is a rifle, another pistol or bow. Chest rigs get in the way of binos, shirt pockets, etc. If your moving, stopping, putting on and taking off raingear they are a pain. I think a backup gun belongs on the belt with a 4-5.5" barrel. Strongside or crossdraw either way. It's NEVER to be taken off until you crawl in the sleeping bag and then it come out of the holster goes in the bag with you! Otherwise it's not a backup!

My backup/fishin/berry patch gun is a a 4" Redhawk converted to 454 magnaported. Load is a 355gr WFN hardcast that I cast. 1300fps. I pack it strongside in a Simply Rugged pancake so all I have to do is give it a yank and out it comes.

Latest config is with UncleMikes grips and high viz front site. So far so good.

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/30/2016 12:00 PM

To be considered is whether or not one will be wearing a backpack while in such country as you might need such armament. Many backpacks have waist belts to help distribute the load on the hips. If such is the case, a hip mounted sidearm is right out in regards to options. There is just no comfortable and practical way to wear a hip holster and a pack's waist belt at the same time. In such a case, a centerline chest rig makes the most viable sense in utility and location. Even a cross draw won't work with a pack's waist belt.

Food for thought.

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/30/2016 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Zee
To be considered is whether or not one will be wearing a backpack while in such country as you might need such armament. Many backpacks have waist belts to help distribute the load on the hips. If such is the case, a hip mounted sidearm is right out in regards to options. There is just no comfortable and practical way to wear a hip holster and a pack's waist belt at the same time. In such a case, a centerline chest rig makes the most viable sense in utility and location. Even a cross draw won't work with a pack's waist belt.

Food for thought.

I agree. I don't think I am at some disadvantage with a chest or shoulder rig as far as quickly accessing my firearm is concerned. But, that's just me.

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/30/2016 2:55 PM

When I had the encounter with the bull I was wearing a hip holster. With a chest rig or crossdraw my gun may have been trapped as he hit me in the chest .Once on the ground I was still laying on my chest and he was on my back pounding me. Have no idea when or how I drew the gun but it was in my hand.What ever you wear, or how you wear it practice with it.Some times you do not have time to think, just react. Bear country isn't the only place you may NEED your gun.It needs to be a heavy enough caliber to get the job done yet light enough to pack ALWAYS .Leave it in camp to go to the john or the truck because its heavy and you are unarmed. You never know when you will need it.

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/30/2016 2:57 PM

When I had the encounter with the bull I was wearing a hip holster. With a chest rig or crossdraw my gun may have been trapped as he hit me in the chest .Once on the ground I was still laying on my chest and he was on my back pounding me. Have no idea when or how I drew the gun but it was in my hand.What ever you wear, or how you wear it practice with it.Some times you do not have time to think, just react. Bear country isn't the only place you may NEED your gun.It needs to be a heavy enough caliber to get the job done yet light enough to pack ALWAYS .Leave it in camp to go to the john or the truck because its heavy and you are unarmed. You never know when you will need it.

Amen brother!
Posted By: norway

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 03/31/2016 9:45 PM

my s&w model 69 310 grain hardcast 1150 fps
Posted By: WyoJoe

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 04/04/2016 4:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Ernie
IF your revolver was a "back up" for dangerous game (not your primary weapon) like brown bear, which revolver would you choose, barrel length, sights, holster (where on your body), and bullet would you choose and why? [u][/u]

Ernie I'll be the odd man out here. For back up I'll take the S&W model 57 in .41 mag loaded with a Barnes XPB that I have hand loaded. I am extremely confident in my shooting ability with the mod. 57 and the Barnes bullet.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 04/04/2016 5:59 PM

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For guys who don't reload, what would be some of your top recommendations?

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 04/04/2016 6:17 PM

Can't go wrong with Buffalo Bore or Grizzly Cartridge have many suitable loads in the calibers being discussed. Double Tap also has a 320 grain WFN load (in .44 Mag) that would be great for backup duty. I would steer clear of expanding bullet loads for defensive duty as you want unparalleled penetration.
Posted By: WyoJoe

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 04/04/2016 7:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
I would steer clear of expanding bullet loads for defensive duty as you want unparalleled penetration.

That is one reason I like the Barnes bullets. I have always got excellent penetration.

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 04/04/2016 7:26 PM

I agree they are great bullets, but for defense, I personally want a bullet that will go deep.

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 04/04/2016 8:31 PM

The gaping hollowpoint and relative light weight of the Barnes XPB makes me very leery of its use against dangerous critters. That is, those bigger than mountain lions.

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 04/05/2016 1:57 AM

For a non handloader the .475 5in {if you can handle the recoil] with a hardcast or punch bullet or the .480 Ruger for less recoil and still a .475 bullet also 5 in.. But I sure wouldn't feel under guned with a 5 in .44 and the same hardcast or punch bullet. Buffalo bore makes a heavy load for the .45 colt also and I would still prefer that ,just a high comfort level with my .45's carried crossdraw.
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 04/06/2016 10:16 PM

Taurus 5" Professional Hunter in .454 Casull. Matte Black Stainless with a J-Point Red Dot. Carried in a Simply Rugged "Chesty Puller" chest holster. Ammo would be WW Black Talon Partitions (still have a few) or the CPBC 335 gr. WLNGC.
Posted By: BuckRimfire

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 04/27/2016 4:42 PM

Underwood ammo is another good brand. Chrono tests usually live up to their claims, although I found their 10mm 200 grain lead ran slow in my gun. The 180 JHP was as advertised.

Worth a look, anyway.
Posted By: mart

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 04/29/2016 11:47 PM

A lot of good comments here. Whitworth always has good advice. Penetration is everything when defending ones self against a bear attack. No place for hollow points. It's really difficult to best a good hard cast heavy bullet regardless of the caliber.

On some occasions I carry a Redhawk 4" 45 Colt with 300 grain bullets in the same rig as Snyd, only on the correct side. Quite often I carry a Ruger 5.5 inch Bisley flat top in 44 Special with either 250 grain SWC or 300 grain WLN bullets cast 50/50 WW/lino. I have 7.5 inch Bisleys in 357, 41, 44 and 45 but really prefer the 5.5 inch 44 or the Redhawk for every day carry. For years I carried nothing but a 6.5 inch Blackhawk in 41 mag with 280 grain WLN's and never felt undergunned.

I see a lot of guys show up at the range, new to Alaska, with way more handgun than they are capable of handling effectively. After watching some of them shoot the only thing I can say is, "Lord, please don't let them have to defend themselves against a bear."

I'd much rather see guys carrying a 44 Magnum with a 300 grain hard cast bullet at 1100-1200 fps they can shoot well than something more powerful they cannot effectively handle.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: What handgun/chambering/bullet would you choose??? - 04/30/2016 1:30 AM

Quote:
I'd much rather see guys carrying a 44 Magnum with a 300 grain hard cast bullet at 1100-1200 fps they can shoot well than something more powerful they cannot effectively handle.

Well said. But, make mine a 45 ;-)
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums