Handgunhunt

Spring squirrel hunting

Posted By: Chance Weldon

Spring squirrel hunting - 05/07/2016 7:37 PM

Our spring squirrel season starts in a week. If your state has one, anyone else going when yours opens?

That reminds me, I need to pick up the Ruger Mark II and get it sighted in this week.
Posted By: BRASF0311

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/07/2016 11:38 PM

June 4 through 18 here in VA. I don't usually go for squirrel since the wife can't stand the thought of eating a rat, but I should take the opportunity to teach the kids hand gunning for small game and just cook it in the field for them.

Thanks for spurring the idea TN Lone Wolf.
Posted By: Teep

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/08/2016 12:03 AM

I have enough trouble hitting them with a rifle. Maybe I'll have to give it a try with the 617 anyway if I can find a good support to carry with me, even then I will be limited to 25 yards or less.
Posted By: BRASF0311

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/08/2016 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Teep
I have enough trouble hitting them with a rifle. Maybe I'll have to give it a try with the 617 anyway if I can find a good support to carry with me, even then I will be limited to 25 yards or less.

And there in lies the beauty of hunting with a hand gun. Knowing one's limitations and improving their hunting skills to match them to the quarry.

Good luck.

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/08/2016 1:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Teep

You wouldn't believe how enjoyable handgunning squirrels is. I was just as excited by my first handgun squirrel kill as my first handgun (and to date my biggest ever) whitetail buck.
Posted By: abner

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/08/2016 5:54 AM

Ours doesn't open until around Sept. but I can't wait to hear of your early season squirrel hunting trips.
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/08/2016 12:04 PM

No spring season in N.C., but I try to do some squirrel hunting every fall / winter. Few things are more enjoyable.
Posted By: nytracker

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/08/2016 12:13 PM

No spring here. But I do have a few fall dead off the bird feeder on occasion. Tasty little critters.
Posted By: thadf

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/09/2016 3:36 PM

May 28th in MO. My boys and I are gearing up. Made some DIY squirrel calls. Two popsicle sticks, a piece of cellophane type material, and some scotch tape. They aren't loud, but they sound good.

They'll use their 410's but I'll have my Charger. And a sling shot for back up!
Posted By: Festus

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/10/2016 10:34 PM

squirrel hunting is great
No pressure
Don't have to worry about scent control
warmer temps

I gotta get a squirrel pistol!

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/10/2016 11:55 PM

Picked up the Ruger this afternoon. Tree rats beware.
Posted By: KYODE

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/11/2016 12:35 AM

Great looking gun!

If you could find some 😏......try cci mini mag hps and federal american eagle 38gr cphp. Both have shot good for me in multiple guns.

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/11/2016 1:00 AM

"If" being the keyword. Fortunately, I've got a mostly full box of 555 Winchester copper plated hollow points that shoot quite well. Still, thanks for the recommendation.
Posted By: Dekker

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/11/2016 10:32 PM

Heres my favorite squirrel gun (T/C G2 10" SSK 22LR), however I will have to wait until Aug no spring season in IL. It's tough hunting early with leaves, I like to wait until the leaves drop.
Posted By: Festus

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/11/2016 11:41 PM

Hey Dekker, nice rig
Id love to get an old contender with a 10 inch barrel

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/12/2016 2:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Festus
Hey Dekker, nice rig

X2. That's a really nice gun.

What magnification scope is that, Dekker?
Posted By: Dekker

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/12/2016 3:18 AM

Thanks guys, the scope is a fixed 4x. I found it gives me a pretty good field of view to locate them and helps me with those tough head shots.
If you haven't tried hunting squirrels with a handgun, you are missing out on a great time plus helps prepare for deer and other big game hunting.

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/12/2016 3:34 AM

You got that right!
Posted By: thadf

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/12/2016 3:13 PM

Dekker, that's sweet setup for sure. I have an encore, but I'd like to get a Contender just for that purpose. Very nice!!

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/13/2016 10:57 PM

Well, crap. I felt myself getting sick earlier this week, and now it only takes a minute or two of physical activity before I start feeling nauseous and out of breath. Guess I'm going to have to skip this weekend.
Posted By: junebug

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/14/2016 3:21 AM

If you are going to feel bad anyway, might as well feel bad doing something fun like squirrel hunting.

Re: Spring squirrel hunting - 05/14/2016 1:56 PM

I still don't quite feel up to squirrel hunting, so I guess I'll just have to do some reloading.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums