Handgunhunt

Hot fun in the summertime

Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Hot fun in the summertime - 08/12/2016 3:04 AM

Last Tuesday had me in Tioga, Pennsylvania to kill a boar... This time around I used my five shot Gallagher 475 Bisley with 5 1/2" barrel and a handload using a 480 case with a 325gr XTP over 27.0grs of 296 that was ignited with a CCI 350 primer. This was plenty accurate at 50 yds with my eyes and the open sights. The weather was extremely hot with high humidity so we were in the field early that morning. We soon found out the boar were bedded at the highest part of the ranch while we were posted at the lowest. It took awhile to push them in our direction and once they were about 50 yards away they grouped themselves some heavy thickets with no chance for a shot without risking a pass through and hitting another boar. I had my pack and leather rest on a handi stump about four foot high hoping the pack would cross my line of sight. Five minutes went to ten when one of the boar decided move on and with the rest following. I put the sights on the second pig while slowly moving the gun to my left as continued walking. The Bisley went off and I could see the boar favoring his left front leg as they disappeared into the high summer thickets. About 10 yards from the hit I found blood drops that increased as I followed. Great.... Another 20 yards and I found him down but still breathing heavy. A shot from my S&W 22mag Kit gun to the base of the ear ended the hunt. I honestly cannot think of a better way to spend a summer day then in pursuit of a good boar with your handgun......The top photo shows the boar hanging up in the thick stuff. The 2nd photo shows as the group broke up and started moving to my left. The 3ed picture shows a second before I dropped the hammer. The 4th photo shows a dead 200lb boar and a happy handgun hunter...
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/12/2016 3:10 AM

Nice hog, James. How is it you manage to take pictures with both hands on your revolver? Can't think of many better ways to spend a summer day.

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/12/2016 3:19 AM

Rod, Thank you for your nice words. The camera I used is actually a pair of sunglasses with a tiny video mounted on the bridge called the I-Kam Xtreme that I bought from Cabelas. I also have a GO-Pro 3 but unless you have their remote on/off control this unit is much easier to work with.....
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/12/2016 10:56 AM

WTG James!
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/12/2016 12:55 PM

Very nicely done as always, James!! Congratulations!
Posted By: junebug

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/12/2016 1:28 PM

Nice one James.A nice way to break up the summer down time.Keeps the rust off.
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/12/2016 1:34 PM

Great job! Nice hog!
Posted By: Duke3026

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/12/2016 4:12 PM

Good going James. A lot of pork going around on your behalf.
Posted By: Russell

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/12/2016 4:13 PM

One way to beat the summer 'doledrums'. Nice pig, James.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/12/2016 7:10 PM

Fantastic!
Posted By: Zee

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/12/2016 7:49 PM

Nice pig. What are your temps there in the daytime?
Posted By: nytracker

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/12/2016 8:03 PM

Nice job James. As i was sweating at the salt minds i was wondering how you made out. Think it was a balmy 96 degrees that day with humidity it was over a hundred real feel. His hunt took place about 30 miles from me.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/12/2016 8:10 PM

That's awesome!! Still have yet to get me a piggy.

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/13/2016 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: junebug
Nice one James.A nice way to break up the summer down time.Keeps the rust off.

Amen...............................................

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/13/2016 10:50 PM

Zee,. nytracker is correct about the weather that day. The humidity is a bitch to deal with at 65.................
Posted By: Bullelk Hunter

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/14/2016 8:43 PM

James, this is disgusting. My gosh, Pigs are people too!
Too much fun on a summer day!

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/15/2016 2:41 AM

BH,
\:D
;\)
\:\)
\:o
Posted By: dvan

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/15/2016 3:14 AM

Sweet. A little meat for the grill. Congratulations.
Posted By: PistolHNTR

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/17/2016 12:19 AM

James great job
love them hogs
Posted By: cfish2

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/22/2016 12:41 AM

The Garden State Hog Hammer strikes again. Nicely done sir.
Posted By: pab1

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/22/2016 3:19 AM

Looks and sounds like a fun hunt! Really like the hunters view pic over the sights! Congrats!
Posted By: sixshot

Re: Hot fun in the summertime - 08/22/2016 4:45 AM

Good job James, keep slamming that bacon!

Dick
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums