Handgunhunt

Pig with a .45 ACP!

Posted By: Zee

Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 8:15 AM

I set out this evening to kill a pig with my Kimber TLE/RL II in .45 ACP with 230gr Federal Hydra Shok ammo. I wanted to see if the .45 ACP would fit my needs for close night time pig killing or if I really needed to look into the 10mm for the job.

I arrived around 9:00 PM at one of the smaller properties that I cull pigs at for a farmer friend. Scanning the field, I only saw deer. So, I drove on over to a larger property he farms and looked around there for a bit. But, I only saw one pig there and he disappeared into the cotton.

Arriving back at the first property.......I found what I was after. A huge band of pigs had entered the field and were feeding on the cut wheat. There were too many to count. Just a mass of crop destroying vacuums. Grabbing my gear, I headed south to get down wind of the band and then turned east to close the distance.

I had a TC Contender in .44 Mag that I had rigged up with a laser instead of a scope. I would use that if I was unable to get within 50 yards of a pig. But, my main weapon of the night was my Kimber TLE/RL II with a Streamlight M6 Light/Laser mounted on the rail and shooting Federal 230gr Hydra Shok ammo. This is the defensive ammo I carry in the gun and supposedly has a good reputation. Supposedly.

I slowly made my way towards the band of pigs as they fed through the field. Anticipating their route, I side stepped as needed and continued to close the distance. At 75 yards, I sat down, and hoped that they would continue on their path to pass within 25 yards of me. There were a mixture of sows and piglets with 3 boars in the mix. To my left was the maid group with all the sows and boars. To my right was a band of about 20 unattended piglets. I had no interest in them as there wouldn't provide the ballistic data I was after. They were simply interference for my main target.......that being one of the boars.

As the oars moved closer with the main group..........so did the piglets. Passing within 15 yards of me as I sat exposed in the middle of the field, I hoped the little suckers wouldn't blow my cover. One of the boars was about 40 yards away and moving closer. But, he was facing right at me and I didn't want to shoot at that angle. Unfortunately for me, there was a sow ahead of him. I kept the gun oriented towards the boar, waiting for him to turn........but, I kept my eye on the sow. It was just shy of a full moon and that moon was up and behind them. Meaning..........I was in full light for them.

Suddenly......at about 30-35 yards.........the lead sow stopped abruptly...........raised her head..........and stared right at me. DOAH!!!!! Busted!

I wasted no time panning the gun towards her. Quartering towards me, I painted her shoulder with the laser and sent a 230gr Hydra Shok on it's way. On impact, she dipped and spun away. Kicking it into hyper drive, she headed for the woods. I painted her with the laser again and sent another round into her flank as she sped away. Knowing I'd hit her twice, I looked for another target. Finding a boar..............way out there............I lit him up with the laser and started mortaring round his way. Yeah.........that didn't work. I could see the round impact short. I aimed higher..........and saw the round hit behind him. One more sent and landed short and behind. I don't know how far he was.........but he was further than I was capable of hitting a moving target with a .45 ACP...........that's for sure.

Looking back at my sow, she was nearing the end of her run. She finally stopped and teetered over. I gathered my gear and paced off the distance to her. As I neared her, I saw she was breathing her final breaths, so I waited for her to pass, then finished my pace.

130 yards of travel from start to finish.

I didn't weigh her, but I guess she is around 85-100 pounds or so. Or, I could be way off. No clue.

Entrance of First Shot (Yellow arrow from now on)

Entrance Under Hide / Exit of Second Shot (Black arrow from now on)

Under Shoulder

Under Ribs

Thoracic Cavity

Both rounds struck the right lung.

Path through Liver

Entrance of 2nd shot (after I gutted her and cut her udders off so it appears lower than it actually was)

Both rounds passed through the stomach and intestines as well. But, for the life of me, I couldn't find the first bullet. I dug through the stomach and intestines to no avail. I either missed the bullet or it's lodged in the hams somewhere. But, neither shot exited! They just bisected the body shoulder to ham (1st shot) and ham to shoulder (2nd shot).

I do not currently know what the first round looks like, but, the second round and the only recovered bullet had......for all intents and purposes...........no expansion.

I can say that I am NOT impressed with the performance of this jacketed bullet. At least........not at 30-35 yards. The muzzle velocity of this round out of my gun is 886 fps. It has apparently slowed down to much at 30 yards to effectively induce expansion. I might as well have had a Hard Cast bullet and after these results........I wish I did.

So, let me FIRST say that I am VERY pleased and excited that I was able to accomplish my goal. To stalk within 30ish yards of a group of pigs and take one with a .45 ACP is pretty stinking cool and fun in my book. I can put that down as one of my favorite pig hunts. I am a happy camper in that regard.

As to the performance of the round? It killed the pig. I hit her twice and she ran 130 yards in a few seconds. There is no question that it did internal damage as the blood and damage to the organs shows. But, I attribute that to the fact that the bullet itself is already .45cal in diameter! That in itself is a big chunk to pass through the internal organs. But, the bullet didn't expand as it was designed to do.

Did I really expect it to expand? Not really. I knew as the distance increased, the chance of expansion would decrease. It just didn't have the velocity. Do I think the .45 ACP is a first rate hunting cartridge? No. Do I think it will work? Well.............obviously.

Seeing what I have seen........I would choose a Hard Cast bullet with as wide a meplate as would feed and 200+ grains behind it. Then, hope that you aren't in a heavily wooded location, because I wouldn't expect much external blood.

I have satisfied my itch. I have accomplished my goal. I have taken a medium game animal with a .45 ACP............in the dark. Check that off the list.

Now...............I think I need a 10mm for a dedicated night hunting semi-auto pistol. Something with more velocity.

By the way, I cut the hams off the pig in whole configuration. Basically, I have the entire butt of the pig with hide and all sitting in a cooler.

I will be utilizing that to perform ballistic testing on some defensive rounds.

9mm and .40 S&W

Stand by for SCIENCE!!!!!
Posted By: jwp475

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 9:50 AM

The 230 XTP +P in 45 ACP expands well, penetrates well and kills well on the one hog that I killed.

I would go to 45 Super for what you are looking for, in my experience the 45 Super penetrates as well as the 10mm with a larger wound channel
Posted By: Hoggin

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 9:58 AM

On big hogs with a shield I even found the 10mm to lack.....the bullets all seemed designed for 2 legged critters

But with all that the 165 Sierra seemed to do the best

With the 45 I had decent results with 200 grain +p loads....I can't remember the brand but they were factory.....I think Speer
Posted By: Darrell H

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 12:36 PM

Interesting...thanks for posting and congratulations on the pig!
Posted By: Mech 8

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 1:34 PM

Excellent report Zee, as usual. I have been wondering about the same thing for years, but when you have so many other firearms that need to be used on animals it never happens. I bought a 460 Rowland conversion a couple of years back and it still hasn't been blooded yet. Congrats on the pig, and I hope you kill every damn one of them!

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 1:37 PM

Originally Posted By: jwp475

The 230 XTP +P in 45 ACP expands well, penetrates well and kills well on the one hog that I killed.

I would go to 45 Super for what you are looking for, in my experience the 45 Super penetrates as well as the 10mm with a larger wound channel

Thanks. Yeah, the 10mm is looking pretty good for this particular use I'm trying to fill.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 1:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Hoggin
On big hogs with a shield I even found the 10mm to lack.....the bullets all seemed designed for 2 legged critters

But with all that the 165 Sierra seemed to do the best

With the 45 I had decent results with 200 grain +p loads....I can't remember the brand but they were factory.....I think Speer

If I end up with a 10mm, I'm looking towards the 180 or 200gr XTP......well.........because of the price and that I've been happy with all the other XTP bullets I've used. That, or Double Tap 200gr WFN=GC bullets.

Thoughts?

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 1:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Darrell H
Interesting...thanks for posting and congratulations on the pig!

Thanks.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 1:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Mech 8
Excellent report Zee, as usual. I have been wondering about the same thing for years, but when you have so many other firearms that need to be used on animals it never happens. I bought a 460 Rowland conversion a couple of years back and it still hasn't been blooded yet. Congrats on the pig, and I hope you kill every damn one of them!

So does the farmer. Ha! I'm trying!!!
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 1:46 PM

Great post, and great shooting!

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 1:47 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 3:49 PM

Congrats! Nothing like field testing. I'm not acquainted with too much factory ammo; what's the bullet used in that federal ammo?

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 4:08 PM

Originally Posted By: KRal
Congrats! Nothing like field testing. I'm not acquainted with too much factory ammo; what's the bullet used in that federal ammo?

The 230gr Hydra Shok. This is ammo I've had since 1994.
Posted By: Ernie

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 6:20 PM

Sounds like "SCIENCE" is a lot more fun than I considered it in school....Good work!
Great shooting on the fly too!!!

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 6:29 PM

Here is the XTP that I recovered from about a 100 pounder running away from me. The XTP penetrated about 20". The bullet entered the right ham passed through the intestines took out the liver and I found it in the chest cavity. The other bullet is a CEB Rapter 150 45.

d
Posted By: SChunter

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 6:30 PM

Nice work Zee!

I want to take a deer/pig with the 185 TAC-XP out of the 45 this year.
Posted By: pab1

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 7:06 PM

Congrats! Great story and assessment of the terminal ballistics.
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 7:09 PM

Good shooting Zee, great pictures!
Posted By: TGC

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 10:05 PM

Wouldn't .45 acp FMJ be a good choice for hogs? I like the xtp,s,,, the 300 grains in .45 colt.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/20/2016 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: TGC
Wouldn't .45 acp FMJ be a good choice for hogs? I like the xtp,s,,, the 300 grains in .45 colt.

I'd rather have a wide meplate if I ain't gonna get expansion.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/21/2016 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Zee
 Originally Posted By: TGC

I'd rather have a wide meplate if I ain't gonna get expansion.

This.

Plus, using a full metal jacket for hunting may not even be legal there. I know it's not in my state.
Posted By: BlackhawkBama

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/21/2016 1:41 AM

Zee your story is very timely as I just bought a box of Buffalo Bore 45 ACP + in 200 JHP. I plan to carry my Kimber tactical entry this fall and hopefully get an up close encounter with some pigs. Hopefully I'll have some good luck with this ammo and provide a report on its performance.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/21/2016 1:59 AM

Keep me posted!!!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/21/2016 8:38 PM

Way to go Zorro...............
;\)

its not easy to sneak up on a passel of pigs.....
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/23/2016 1:39 PM

Interesting. Performance like that led me to the .45 Super and then on to the .460 Rowland. A 230gr xtp at 1400fps is whole new ball of wax.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/23/2016 1:52 PM

Originally Posted By: reflex264
Interesting. Performance like that led me to the .45 Super and then on to the .460 Rowland. A 230gr xtp at 1400fps is whole new ball of wax.

I have no doubt. The ACP just doesn't have enough velocity to keep it a viable hunting round much past 25 yards. At least, not with jacketed bullets.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/23/2016 8:14 PM

I have no doubt. The ACP just doesn't have enough velocity to keep it a viable hunting round much past 25 yards. At least, not with jacketed bullets.

The 45 ACP +P has had no trouble taking deer or pigs for me out to 50 yards
Posted By: Walkingthemup

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/23/2016 11:17 PM

Hey Zee, great info and write up. Aside from the performance issues with the ammo, I'd be interested in your views on the effectiveness of laser/light combos for handgun hunting hogs at night. Most of the info just refers to close range tactical/defensive usage (and sales hype).

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/24/2016 3:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Walkingthemup
Hey Zee, great info and write up. Aside from the performance issues with the ammo, I'd be interested in your views on the effectiveness of laser/light combos for handgun hunting hogs at night. Most of the info just refers to close range tactical/defensive usage (and sales hype).

In this case, I didn't use the light. Just the laser. This model, which I like, has the option of:

Light
Light/Laser
Laser

So, this night I was just running the laser. Which..........when coupled with night vision............works stunningly well.

:-)

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/24/2016 3:44 AM

Nothing like good NV

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/24/2016 12:36 PM

Helmet-mounted PVS-14 is high on the acquire list.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/24/2016 12:58 PM

Yep the +P also brings in a whole new power level.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/24/2016 4:45 PM

Originally Posted By: SChunter

The newer stuff is even better.

:evilgrin:

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/24/2016 4:46 PM

Yep the +P also brings in a whole new power level.

I have some 185gr +P I could try.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/24/2016 8:11 PM

One thing I have to add about Zee is that no one.....and I mean no one does such a complete after action report as he does. The only other place I`ve seen photos like his were in books.....
keep up the great work......

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/24/2016 8:15 PM

I was thinking that, but you said it!
That ornery part of you causing guys to lust even more for what they can't have...

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/24/2016 8:16 PM

Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
One thing I have to add about Zee is that no one.....and I mean no one does such a complete after action report as he does.

It's in his DNA

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/24/2016 10:20 PM

One thing I have to add about Zee is that no one.....and I mean no one does such a complete after action report as he does. The only other place I`ve seen photos like his were in books.....

Wow!

That is the best compliment I've received since joining this site. And from you!! I don't know what to say, but a heartfelt thanks.

I try and share the knowledge I've learned. And I learn every time. When I don't learn something. It's time to stop hunting and start buying meat at the market.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/24/2016 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Ernie

I was thinking that, but you said it!
That ornery part of you causing guys to lust even more for what they can't have...

Fuel the fire.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/24/2016 11:26 PM

You dirty equipment ho (I mean that nicely)...I'm all ears. I'm a dirty equipment ho too...

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/25/2016 12:22 AM

Yeah, I've never seen reports as thorough as his, on this site or otherwise.
Posted By: REDHAWK1954

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/25/2016 10:38 AM

Yes he writes a book with each post and I am still having trouble just up loading a photo.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/25/2016 5:02 PM

JWP (or others with similar experience), what ammo are you using in the 45 ACP on deer and pigs out to 50 yards? I have a new Les Baer Ultimate Tactical Carry and it is amazingly accurate. Enough so, that it has got me thinking about carrying it to the stand this fall for closer shots. I was thinking about trying either the Buffalo Bore hard cast.

or the flat nosed full metal jacket ammo:

Any thoughts?

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/25/2016 6:09 PM

I like the looks of the cast bullets.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/25/2016 6:17 PM

Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf

Yeah, I've never seen reports as thorough as his, on this site or otherwise.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/25/2016 6:42 PM

Haha, good one Zee!

Please go shoot another hog with the hard cast ammo and report your findings.
\:\)

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/25/2016 8:34 PM

The Underwood loaded with XTP's have worked well for me and of course there is nothing wrong with the hard cast load either.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/25/2016 8:58 PM

Thanks, I will check out the Underwood ammo.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/26/2016 12:49 PM

Haha, good one Zee!

Please go shoot another hog with the hard cast ammo and report your findings.

I'm going to try a .40 S&W with 180gr Federal HST @ 1,030 fps from a 4" barrel next.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/26/2016 2:40 PM

OK, looking forward to the report!

I prefer expanding bullets in most cases, but I am leery of expanding bullets on mature boars at lower velocities based on my experience with a 14" Contender muzzleloader. I shot this one several years ago with a 260 grain, .45 caliber Speer Gold Dot. If I remember correctly, the muzzle velocity was right around 1050 fps.

Even at point blank range, the bullets would not penetrate the shield. I switched powders and stepped the muzzle velocity up to 44 Mag levels and my penetration issues went away.

For example, these were shot with the same gun but I used a 240 grain, .44 caliber Remington JSP at about 1250 FPS

These were quick, clean kills.

I hope that I'm not hijacking your thread, I posted all of this to help illustrate why I am hesitant to load my 1911 with expanding bullets on a hog hunt. I think that it would work fine on sows and shoats but I would hate to get into another mess on a mature boar. Since the buffalo bore +P .45 ACP ammo lists a muzzle velocity of less than 1,000 fps I would feel safer with hard cast.

Best of luck with the experiment, I'm anxiously awaiting your findings!

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/27/2016 1:47 AM

For example, these were shot with the same gun but I used a 240 grain, .44 caliber Remington JSP at about 1250 FPS

Not trying to change topic but did you recover any of the 240gr Remington JSP's? If you did, how much did they expand? I was going to use them for deer this year but after testing them they seemed to be much harder than I expected them to be.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/27/2016 7:46 AM

Went out this evening with my .40 S&W but, I couldn't get close enough for the handgun. So, 3 boar fell to the .243 Winchester rifle. One..........a rather large sucker!

Farmer's field has to be protected. Regardless the tool used.

Work.....work.....work........

;-)

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/27/2016 1:34 PM

Farmer's field has to be protected.

;-)

Thank you for your sacrifice on behalf of the farmer, Zee!
\:D

Congratulations on the three-fer, that's awesome!

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/27/2016 1:46 PM

Originally Posted By: pab1

Not trying to change topic but did you recover any of the 240gr Remington JSP's? If you did, how much did they expand?

pab1, I have used the Remington JSP's on several animals in both .44 and .41 caliber and I have been very pleased with them. I don't think I ever caught a .41 slug? I shot this hog in the right shoulder with a 240 grain, .44 caliber JSP and I recovered it in the left ham.

The slug took the use of the hog's front end away from him and he bulldozed himself out of sight, pushing with his rear legs, leaving a blood trail that a blind man could follow.

This is a photo of the recovered bullet on the right. For comparison purposes, the bullet on the left is a recovered 240 grain XTP.

Here are a couple more animals shot with the same bullet in a S&W revolver:

Both of these shots passed completely through the animal and resulted in clean, one-shot kills.

Hope this helps,

DJH

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/27/2016 4:09 PM

Went out this evening with my .40 S&W but, I couldn't get close enough for the handgun. So, 3 boar fell to the .243 Winchester rifle. One..........a rather large sucker!

;-)

The 40 will have it's time. It just wasn't in the cards last night.
Did the 243 almost feel overwhelmed by the size of that big boy???

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/27/2016 4:19 PM

Good info! Thanks Darrell!

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/27/2016 4:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Ernie

;-)

The 40 will have it's time. It just wasn't in the cards last night.
Did the 243 almost feel overwhelmed by the size of that big boy???

Walking up to him last night, the first thought in my head was............"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

I'd have appreciated a .454 Casull.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/27/2016 4:33 PM

Nice one Zee, congrats!!

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/27/2016 9:31 PM

Congrats! That's a great pic!
Posted By: guitarbob

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/27/2016 11:55 PM

This is an interesting video by Keith Warren hunting a sow with the 10mm. Not a huge pig, but pretty impressive bullet performance.

https://youtu.be/zrKyvzSI_ns

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 08/28/2016 1:40 PM

;-)

Nice!!!

Anxiously awaiting full autopsy report in Off Topic...

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 09/02/2016 12:11 PM

Zee, I'm blaming this Midway order on you...

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 09/02/2016 12:33 PM

It's so nice watching other people be blamed...

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 09/02/2016 12:35 PM

Buncha enablers on this site.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 09/02/2016 1:15 PM

Place it all on my shoulders.

;-)

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 09/02/2016 1:50 PM

YES!
Posted By: KRal

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 09/02/2016 3:20 PM

Place it all on my shoulders.

;-)

Can I blame you for a Magnaport Stalker I just bought?

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 09/02/2016 3:27 PM

Why not?!? I get blamed for so many bad things. Might as be some beneficial ones as well.

:-)

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 09/03/2016 12:36 AM

Buncha enablers on this site.

Yup. I wouldn't have y'all any other way, though.

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 09/05/2016 10:47 AM

Underwood +P 230 XTP recovered from hog after about 20+ inches of penetration shot him lengthwise

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 09/05/2016 12:36 PM

What distance did you shoot him?

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 09/05/2016 1:45 PM

What distance did you shoot him?

About 40 yards plus or minus

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 09/05/2016 3:49 PM

I'm really impressed the XTP expanded at that distance. Just makes me like them even more!!

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 09/05/2016 5:49 PM

The XTP also stands up well to 45 Super velocities, I have been impressed with the latest iteration
Posted By: Walkingthemup

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 09/05/2016 10:47 PM

Has anyone had experience with how well .45 ACP/Super/Rowland penetrate on large hogs. In particular, shoulder shots on those with heavy gristle plates and thick mud.
I've always thought that the light weight projectiles (200-230gr compared to 300gr in .45Long Colt or .454 Casull) wouldn't be up to it, but that's only theory. I'd like to hear from those with actual experience.
Posted By: Hoggin

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 09/06/2016 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Walkingthemup
Has anyone had experience with how well .45 ACP/Super/Rowland penetrate on large hogs. In particular, shoulder shots on those with heavy gristle plates and thick mud.
I've always thought that the light weight projectiles (200-230gr compared to 300gr in .45Long Colt or .454 Casull) wouldn't be up to it, but that's only theory. I'd like to hear from those with actual experience.

Not with a 45. But I did a lot with a 10mm and 165 Sierra.
Posted By: 45BBH

Re: Pig with a .45 ACP! - 09/12/2016 1:04 PM

I've not had a chance to use it on pig, but over the past few years I've worked up a LOT of 45 Super loads ranging from a 185gr at 1600 fps to a 300gr WLNGC cast bullet at 1150 fps from a 5" KKM barreled Glock 21 Gen4.

The 250gr XTP rolling along at 1300 fps should be a good load!

Even the 45 ACP is no weakling, with 9.0gr of Power Pistol it will toss a 230gr XTP to 1100 fps from a 5" bbl.

I've got a lot of pics of stuff, but I also worked up a 255gr Beartooth WFNGC, has a big ole meplat on it, and got it over 1300 fps although even at say 1200 fps it would probably work wonders on hog.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums