Handgunhunt

you call the shot

Posted By: jamesfromjersey

you call the shot - 09/21/2016 12:26 AM

You have your favorite hunting handgun rested across a blowdown and the boar have no idea your there. Which boar would you choose and where would you place your shot???? For those of you who have not taken a boar the bottom picture can help to place your shot..
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: you call the shot - 09/21/2016 12:50 AM

I'd take the one on the right just because it's separated from the others. Might not be the largest one, but it's the one I'd shoot if the shot had to be made right then. If I could wait, I would wait for the larger one to clear. My shot placement would be the typical behind the shoulder shot.

Second choice would be the one laying down to the left. Would be looking to enter the ribs, and exit just in front of the opposite shoulder.

Can I just shoot the tannerite jug in the middle of all of them ??
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: you call the shot - 09/21/2016 12:59 AM

I like the close one that is broadside, in the Lungs.
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: you call the shot - 09/21/2016 1:39 AM

Probably either the one broadside in the middle of the picture, or the one to the right. Either one would get an XTP-Mag in the shoulder just above the leg.
Posted By: cherokeetracker

Re: you call the shot - 09/21/2016 2:10 AM

The broadside one. Right in the neck.
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: you call the shot - 09/21/2016 2:19 AM

Hog on the right ... I'd aim 1/3 up the body and 1" behind the leg.
Posted By: Ramjet-SS

Re: you call the shot - 09/21/2016 2:45 AM

Closest broadside line up horizontal cross hair with the eye but middle of the neck. Drops right there.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: you call the shot - 09/21/2016 2:49 AM

Middle one, broadside, square in the middle of the shoulder with a 340 gr. Woodleigh Weldcore PP from my 416 Barnes. At the shot, all 4 feet would be in the air....I've made it happen many times 😉😆
Posted By: sw282

Re: you call the shot - 09/21/2016 3:30 AM

What Franchise said
Posted By: abner

Re: you call the shot - 09/21/2016 3:38 AM

I'm with Raptortrapper. I would take the one standing broadside on the right just because he is separate from the rest and in a good position.
Posted By: SGalan

Re: you call the shot - 09/21/2016 12:55 PM

I like the broadside hog, centered in the frame.
You didn't give us the distance to the animals, so if it was 25 yds and under I'd aim base of the ear. I shoot open sight revolvers. If further, I'd aim to break the on-side foreleg (look at dark spot) destroying the heart/lungs.
Posted By: SChunter

Re: you call the shot - 09/21/2016 1:25 PM

I like SGalan's answer - the night-night spot on a (rare) stationary hog is the ticket for the terrain I hunt. Given the area pictured, I would feel comfortable with the "pocket" shot, breaking the offside shoulder as well.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: you call the shot - 09/21/2016 2:21 PM

The one in the middle, shot placement as above ^^^
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: you call the shot - 09/21/2016 4:18 PM

The one broadsid3e in the middle -- point of the shoulder.
Posted By: bullsi1911

Re: you call the shot - 09/21/2016 4:58 PM

I'd probably go for the broadside shot, and go for brain or neck shot if I could (I hate tracking) If not, then through the heart / lung area.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: you call the shot - 09/21/2016 11:16 PM

That hog in the middle is standing absolutely perfect to expose his heart. With his right leg slightly back he has exposed his heart. I would aim right in the front edge of his right front leg about 6" up on the body. Pow. pork in the freezer.
Posted By: pab1

Re: you call the shot - 09/21/2016 11:25 PM

I've never hunted hogs so I never looked at their bone structure before. I'm surprised how low the vertebrae are in the neck. I've always preferred heart/lung shots so I'd place my shot in the lower third just behind the leg. I'd probably take the one in the middle assuming I knew there wasn't another one behind it. If there was one behind it I'd go for the one on the right.
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: you call the shot - 09/22/2016 12:34 AM

Many don't realize how far forward and low in the chest the heart is either.
Posted By: pab1

Re: you call the shot - 09/22/2016 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
Many don't realize how far forward and low in the chest the heart is either.

Good point! From that picture their vitals seem pretty compact.
Posted By: johnnyG

Re: you call the shot - 09/22/2016 2:09 AM

Center hog broadside, 300grXTP in the boiler
Posted By: cottonstalk

Re: you call the shot - 09/22/2016 2:41 AM

All the way on the right
Posted By: S.B.

Re: you call the shot - 09/22/2016 7:59 PM

I'd shoot the one on the left laying down at the butt of his or her ear into the CNS. My limited experience with boars has taught to take one sure shot and end the hunt.
My $.02, Steve
Posted By: thadf

Re: you call the shot - 09/28/2016 7:35 PM

So what's the real answer James? This is killing me, man!!
Posted By: Handgunner400

Re: you call the shot - 09/29/2016 2:07 AM

I like either the center or right hog; those being broadside. My favorite (broadside) shot is just an inch or two below the bottom of the ear.

I've anchored many of the vermin with that shot.
Posted By: BlackhawkBama

Re: you call the shot - 09/29/2016 3:18 AM

Middle boar and put it right on the shoulder, that's why we shoot big bore pistols.....right?
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums