Handgunhunt

Which venison do you choose?

Posted By: SGalan

Which venison do you choose? - 09/22/2016 11:24 PM

Gents,

I've lost my deer lease this year and am looking at a strong possibility of an empty freezer. I may have to pay for a meat hunt(s).

I will either go after a few axis deer does or an elk cow in an effort to feed the family.
I've killed axis deer before and as far as venison goes, I consider it the finest table fare I've ever had.

Here is my question: for those that have had both elk and axis, which do you prefer?
Posted By: Zee

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 09/23/2016 12:00 AM

I like them both. Guess it could vary depending on their feed. But, being a ranch (meat) hunt, they both will likely have supplemental food and probably taste the same or relatively equal.

I would be looking more at cost effectiveness. How much would each cost in relation to the amount of meat you expect to get out of one.

Elk are bigger than axis. Which yields more meat for the price of the hunt? If it's the same price........ELK!!! If there is a price difference, weigh it out compared to meat yield.
Posted By: Franchise

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 09/23/2016 1:13 AM

Shoot a Nilgai...elk size, axis quality
Posted By: sixshot

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 09/23/2016 6:36 AM

A few years ago we spent the winter at Bandera, Texas & we saw Axis deer every day. I've heard they are really good eating & would have loved to have shot one but didn't care for the pricing, yikes!

Dick
Posted By: Randominator

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 09/23/2016 12:23 PM

I've had both. Axis deer hands down for taste and quality of the meat.

Posted By: reflex264

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 09/23/2016 12:35 PM

I love elk. Especially cow elk.
Posted By: Gary

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 09/23/2016 7:18 PM

Axis is superb and better than elk but axis doe are not cheap these days and you may well find a cow elk to provide better bang for the buck. Nilgai are also rather expensive to hunt. Don't disregard red deer hinds either. Sometimes you can find a deal on those and while not as large as an elk they are generally bigger than an axis.
Posted By: SGalan

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 09/23/2016 7:28 PM

Having never hunted elk, I'd like to try it. Most cow elk hunts I've seen in Texas run $800-$1000. I have found a deal on Axis does and figure I can basically get two axis does for the same price as one cow elk.

All things considered, I am now curious how much better the axis meat is than elk.
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 09/23/2016 7:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Gary
Axis is superb and better than elk but axis doe are not cheap these days and you may well find a cow elk to provide better bang for the buck. Nilgai are also rather expensive to hunt. Don't disregard red deer hinds either. Sometimes you can find a deal on those and while not as large as an elk they are generally bigger than an axis.

Gary says it all.....
Posted By: S.B.

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 09/24/2016 3:01 AM

Corn fed Illinois whitetail! Nothing finer.
Steve
Posted By: cherokeetracker

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 09/24/2016 1:16 PM

Gary you said a mouthful. I do not disagree, but would like to add that depends a little on the diet of the animal and who cooked what as to which reigns as tops.
Posted By: KRal

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 09/25/2016 5:39 PM

Axis as being best I've had, but don't rule out Sika, for its a close second in my book.
Posted By: reflex264

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 09/29/2016 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: SGalan
Having never hunted elk, I'd like to try it. Most cow elk hunts I've seen in Texas run $800-$1000. I have found a deal on Axis does and figure I can basically get two axis does for the same price as one cow elk.

All things considered, I am now curious how much better the axis meat is than elk.

Who has cow elk hunts for those prices? Much cheaper than I have found.
Posted By: nytracker

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 09/30/2016 1:18 PM

Free range north America white tail .. not that I have had alot of exotics.
Posted By: Montana Lee

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 10/29/2016 5:36 PM

Out of west coast blacktail alfalfa grain raised whitetail, mule deer,elk and antelope I prefer the antelope. But none of them are bad as long as game care starts immidiately after the shot.
Posted By: 500WE

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 10/29/2016 7:37 PM

Caribou
Elk
Axis
Bison
Pronghorn
Whitetail deer
Posted By: BushytailBasher

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 10/29/2016 7:59 PM

All better than beef lol
Posted By: tradmark

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 10/30/2016 4:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Franchise
Shoot a Nilgai...elk size, axis quality

We have a winner!!
Posted By: Sawfish

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 11/09/2016 8:34 PM

Columbian Blacktail-hands down winner.
Posted By: Snyd

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 11/15/2016 7:22 AM

I've never had Axis. Western and Eastern MT Whitetail and Mulies but these Sitka Blacktails are fantastic. No comparison. I just got done putting 3 of them in the freezer. Must be the grass, berries and seaweed.
Posted By: 45MAN

Re: Which venison do you choose? - 08/18/2017 12:37 AM

ELK, AXIS AND NILGAI ARE ALL EXCELLENT, SO ARE ORYX (MAYBE THE BEST)AND AOUDAD (AT LEAST THE AOUDAD OFF MY RANCH IN EDWARDS COUNTY, TEXAS), AND DON'T FORGET THE AMERICAN BUFFALO. NILGAI HAS THE TASTE AND TEXTURE OF BEEF BUT A LOT LEANER. I KNOW A LOT OF HUNTERS WHO DO NOT EAT GAME MEAT, I AM NOT ONE OF THEM! AND WHITE WING DOVE SEASON OPENS IN 2 WEEKS, YUMMIE.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums