Handgunhunt

A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear.

Posted By: cmnash

A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/11/2016 12:56 AM

The state of Georgia has a huntable bear population in three zones; the northern, central, and southern. I live in the northern. Baiting is not allowed in any zone and dogs are only allowed in the southern. The northern season is liberal and open throughout deer season, the central is open for a single day each year, and the southern is open for three 3 day hunts. I have been fortunate enough to kill two bears still hunting in the northern zone, but hunting with hounds has always interested me. This year I had the opportunity to join a dog hunting club in deep southeast Georgia.
I headed south to Fargo despite the ominous weather forecast including hurricane Matthew. Day one would be good, but the hurricane would arrive Friday and possibly wash out the hunt.
In camp the night before the hunt I broke the news to the club members that I would be shooting a revolver. I met a good bit of resistance and distrust. In fact , the leadman informed me another member would follow up and shoot my bear with a rifle. I assured him it would not be necessary, but he was adament that I would not be the reason a dog was injured. I agreed.
I am going skip over a lot of the intricacies of the hunt to keep it short . Everyone heads out at first light to find fresh bear tracks in the sand roads of the hunting club. When a worthwhile track is found, a trailing dog confirms and starts the chase. As the race heats up, more dogs are added and men and trucks race the two track roads to get in front of the bear. At some point enough dogs are in pursuit to tree or bay the bear.
One bear was cought on day one and the chase ended with a ground fight, some dicey shooting by others, and some cut up dogs. Once again, I was asked to use a borrowed rifle. I declined.
Despite some hard hunting another bear for me could not be found that day and the hurricane would arrive the next day.
Day two dawned with a drizzling rain and a stroke of good fortune. A big bear was spotted while riding the roads and the dogs were HOT! After a short race and blitz in the truck it was time to beat the bush to the treed bear. Once again I was offered a rifle. A short walk in the pines led to a thicket and a big bear in a tree. It was chaos as at least 18 dogs barked, bellowed, and wore the bark off the tree.
The dogs were collected and tied to leads as the moment of truth arrived. The bear was just a big black blob of fur with no landmarks of shoulder or ribs to place my bullet. I asked the lead houndsman where he wanted the bear shot. He was blunt- " Shoot that son of a b*+?# in the head. Dont let that bear out of the tree alive". The only shot I could make out was the head and despite my reservations on head shots I was not going to put dogs or men in danger.
I raised my sixgun and settled my front sight. One more time I was offered a long gun.
I broke the trigger and the 44 roared. The bear slumped- stone cold dead- his head dropping and blood raining down like a faucet. I knew it was over but houndsmen behind me barked SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT! I obliged and ran another 320 hardcast through the bear from onside elbow to offside ribs.
The bear hung in the tree for a few tense seconds before the limbs gave way and the bear crashed at my feet with a tremendous thud ,coming so close that I pushed it away as I stepped back.
A lot of celebration and work later the bear was checked by the DNR and weighed 491 pounds on the scale.
The rain and wind of hurricane Matthew arrived while we were at the check station. It was a wet skinning and cleaning job but I didn't mind. I was enjoying the high of a successful handgun hunt.

could somebody be a pal and post the pictures from the Bragging Board?
Posted By: KRal

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/11/2016 1:20 AM

Great story and exciting hunt! Congrats again!
Are they still disbelievers?
Posted By: Ernie

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/11/2016 1:25 AM

AWESOME!
Posted By: Darrell H

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/11/2016 1:38 AM

Wow, what an adventure! Huge congrats Matthew!!!

That's a big bear!
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/11/2016 1:41 AM

You stood your ground, awesome job & trophy, well done!
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/11/2016 1:41 AM

Congrats on a dandy bear! Well done
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/11/2016 1:59 AM

That's an awesome bear! Congrats on the trophy, and good job representing all of us handgunners in a positive manner.
Posted By: Zee

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/11/2016 2:04 AM

Nice!
Posted By: Boot

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/11/2016 2:18 AM

Congratulations. Nice bear!
Posted By: junebug

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/11/2016 2:28 AM

Nice bear, what were the outfitter's remarks after you showed him you could shoot under pressure?
Posted By: pab1

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/11/2016 6:02 AM

Congrats! That's a nice Bear!
Posted By: SChunter

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/11/2016 10:31 AM

Congratulations Matthew! Great bear and great shooting!
Posted By: sw282

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/11/2016 11:16 AM

Having shot with 'Hurricane Matthew' twice now at our IHMSA Field Pistol Matches in Gainesville l am doubly PROUD to CONGRATULATE Him.

While most of us come to the line with somewhat less than Full Power Loads in Revolver Class, Matthew is the Exception...He and his big Polished Stainless Ruger SBH shoot the Big Stuff. Factory PMC 240gr Bronze...

Wishfully he give us a taste of some BEAR Meat @ lunch on our last Match of the season Sat Nov5 Gainesville Ga.

Again, Well Done...
Posted By: Ernie

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/11/2016 1:48 PM

The boy is a good shooter!
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/11/2016 3:48 PM

Nice bruin. And great shootin!!!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/11/2016 8:12 PM

great bear........................
Posted By: SGalan

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/11/2016 8:20 PM

Big bear! Great story...outfitter seemed a bit pushy though.
Posted By: ruger4570

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/11/2016 11:46 PM

Great story and great shooting on a really super nice bear. Congrats. Lots of good eating there.
Posted By: cmnash

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/12/2016 1:16 AM

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I just want to clarify these guys were not outfitters or guides ,but a hunting club full of members who are serious about killing bears. They have had bad experiences with guest shooters (once with a handgunner) and have strong opinions on guns and shooting. They weren't jerks about it but it was clear they had no confidence in me. I doubt their minds have changed after one success but at least that night around camp we talked handguns, bullets, and scopes.
SW282, I will not make the match Nov 5 . I will be on another hunting adventure.
Posted By: junebug

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/12/2016 10:33 AM

Glad you cleared that up for us.If they have doubts about new members shooting abilities they could've just asked you to shoot a few rounds at the distance they expected the shot opportunities to be at.I can understand them not wanting a dog or themselves cut up or killed by a wounded bear. If I ran a hunt club I would want to have a couple of weekends, where members were required to show up and sight in what they were going to hunt with.Maybe a planned work weekend or something like that.Sure some would complain but you would know if they could shoot or not.It wouldn't hurt my feelings to be asked to shoot and I would really expect it.Now they know you can shoot under pressure though.

Posted By: reflex264

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/12/2016 1:23 PM

Great bear and handgunning it makes it that much sweeter.
Posted By: Dekker

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/12/2016 3:00 PM

Congrats! on a successful hunt and a great bear.
Posted By: tradmark

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 10/12/2016 5:56 PM

Nice and bear and a nice shot under what seems to be a fairly high stress situation!!!
Posted By: Spencer

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 11/02/2016 2:08 PM

Hound hunting, handgun....life doesn't get much better than that!!!
Posted By: cottonstalk

Re: A hurricane , a handgun , and a huge bear. - 11/02/2016 5:52 PM

Congratulations on a nice bear.

I've been on both sides as a houndsman and a handgun hunter. Not everyone is up to the task under pressure. Great job. Must of been some nice hounds to put him up. Them bears just don't climb for the fun of it.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums