Handgunhunt

buck fever

Posted By: jamesfromjersey

buck fever - 10/19/2016 12:02 AM

Picked up a case of "buck fever" about a year ago. Not the kind with the shakes but the one where you envision a mature male whitetail in your crosshair. Had it so bad I contacted a mid-west outfitter for a chance at Iowa`s zone 5 but when I added up the cost of the hunt, out of state liscense, air fare, rented car
and dog watcher plus getting this soon to be 66 year old handgun hunter to follow through I was more then pleased to get a call from friend and ranch owner Mike Gee. He made me an offer on a 180 class whitetail that I could not refuse. I carried two handguns: FA`s 475 scoped 10" barrel shooting a 400gr XTP over 25.5grs of 296 to equal factory velocity and a FA`s 44mag with a 240gr XTP over a healthy dose of H-110. Both guns are super accurate..... As we crested a small hill the guide spotted the bucks antlers as he was bedded down in the golden rods. Rather then taking a chance and shooting through the tall weeds I made my way to a treestand about 100 yards away. The plan being to try and push the deer in my direction for a clear shot. You all know what happens to any plans a hunter makes with whitetail....
After closing the stands guard rail over me I signaled the guide to make his push. The buck jumped from his bed but ran behind my stand, which was in a thick pine tree, and stopped about 50 or so yards from me and watching the guide. I stood up and turned and with the scope set on 2x tried to place the crosshair on his vitals but the tall golden rods blocked his body for a clear shot. It was then that a gust of wind caused the golden rods to bend giving a clear path for the bullet that I made my offhand shot. The 400gr bullet entered high in front of the left shoulder, went through the heart and exited low on the right shoulder. With his front legs out of action he plowed his nose through the thickets for a short distance finally ending the hunt... You know there is a God after I took a moment to admire the beauty of one of His creature`s..... The backstraps were delicious.... Next morning had us in a 4-wheel open top vehicle with its windshield folded down and looking for doe. Covered a lot of ground in the machine when we came upon a lone doe and stopped about 50 yards away. Placed my sandbag rest on the windshield and made the shot placing the bullet on the left shoulder. She then made the mad dash to my left and as the driver lowered himself I tracked the doe, offhand, in my crosshair keeping the sight just in front of its chest and squeezed the trigger tumbling the deer dead. One of the best shots of my life.... The photo shows two bullet holes and if you were to straighten out the does head the two holes would be over the shoulder.......... Watch out for "buck fever". It can be contagious.....
PS bottom pic shows treestand ladder in lower circle and top circle where I made shot. Deer was next to tree at right..also hole in heart..
Posted By: Russell

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 12:10 AM

Not bad for an 'old man'.....
;\)
Posted By: Mark Hampton

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 12:21 AM

Dandy buck! Congrats James
Posted By: KRal

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 12:32 AM

James, that is a stud! Congrats! Don't know if I could've made a free handed shot on a buck like that.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 1:03 AM

Outstanding, James. That's my kind of hunting.
Posted By: tradmark

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 1:10 AM

Great shooting james. Thats a great buck anf offhand is the best way to go!
Posted By: racksmasher1

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 1:23 AM

Damn good buck!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 1:48 AM

Thank you guys....this is the best place for a handgun hunter to find friends......well all most......
Posted By: Boot

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 1:51 AM

Wow! What a rack! That's a nice one for sure. Congrats on another success.
Posted By: Darrell H

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 2:13 AM

Great buck and mighty fine shooting on both animals James, congrats!
Posted By: KYODE

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 2:36 AM

Awesome deer james!
Posted By: PsTaN

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 3:26 AM

What a great hunt ... and some fine shootin' as well. Beautiful deer!

Grats
Posted By: Ernie

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 4:44 AM

BEAUTIFUL!
Posted By: Midwesthunter11

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 4:59 AM

Nice buck congrats!
Posted By: pab1

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 5:35 AM

Great shooting! That's a nice buck! Congrats James!
Posted By: magman

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 8:05 AM

Great deer James. Thanks for sharing your story.
Posted By: dhom

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 9:16 AM

Great hunt, great shooter, and congrats!!!
Posted By: 500WE

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 11:43 AM

Wow, what a buck! Very nice, James!
Posted By: Chance Weldon

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 11:51 AM

That's one heck of a buck! Congratulations, and great shooting!
Posted By: Whitworth

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 1:09 PM

That's one hell-of-a buck, James! Congratulations!!
Posted By: SChunter

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 1:30 PM

James is on a roll! First a behemoth of a hog at Reeders HHC and then this whopper buck?

Retirement is suiting you well my friend!

Congratulations!
Posted By: Dekker

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 2:15 PM

Congrats! on a great hunt.
Posted By: PythonHunter

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 2:30 PM

Dog gone nice buck James! Congrats!
Posted By: thadf

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 9:27 PM

Keep rubbin' it in James. I've got a lot of years before retirement!!!

WTG, you conquered your "buck fever"

Good to throw a shout out to God as well. Not enough people do that these days. Good on you.
Posted By: nytracker

Re: buck fever - 10/19/2016 11:29 PM

Dandy buck James. Great story and hell of a shot. Have one question my friend ...... how come a 44 .. thought you were a 41 guy . If your bored with the 41 I have room for it up here.
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums