Handgunhunt

First PA black bear.....and with a handgun!

Posted By: Steve in PA

First PA black bear.....and with a handgun! - 11/19/2016 10:46 PM

Managed to take a small bear, about 75lbs this morning with my Ruger .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk.

Not a gigantic bear, but it's my first and with a handgun no less.
Posted By: s4s4u

Re: First PA black bear.....and with a handgun! - 11/19/2016 10:50 PM

Quote:

That makes it a trophy in my book. Congrat's!!!
Posted By: KRal

Re: First PA black bear.....and with a handgun! - 11/19/2016 11:00 PM

It's definitely a trophy in my book! Congrats!
What load were you using?
Posted By: cmnash

Re: First PA black bear.....and with a handgun! - 11/19/2016 11:11 PM

Congratulations! I love love love handguned bears.
Posted By: Raptortrapper

Re: First PA black bear.....and with a handgun! - 11/20/2016 12:46 AM

My first handgun bear was a yearling, but it made it feel like it was a 10 foot bear since I did it with the revolver!

Congrats!!!
Posted By: Boartuff

Re: First PA black bear.....and with a handgun! - 11/20/2016 1:02 AM

Fantastic! Congratulations!
Posted By: Buck_358

Re: First PA black bear.....and with a handgun! - 11/20/2016 1:22 AM

Very nice.. Congratulations! My sister lives in Mountain Top PA and has them in her back yard. Tells me I need to come out and get one.. :-)
B..

Re: First PA black bear.....and with a handgun! - 11/20/2016 1:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Buck_358
Very nice.. Congratulations! My sister lives in Mountain Top PA and has them in her back yard. Tells me I need to come out and get one.. :-)
B..

I have a friend that lives in Mountain Top and she sees them quite often. I only live a few miles from Mountain Top. I was hunting in....of all places....Bear Creek today.

Re: First PA black bear.....and with a handgun! - 11/20/2016 2:00 AM

Originally Posted By: KRal
It's definitely a trophy in my book! Congrats!
What load were you using?

I was shooting handloaded 200gr Hornady XTP's over a stout load of H110 out of a 7.5" Super Blackhawk. My SBH likes the 200's better than the 240's. Since I was hunting the thick stuff where nothing longer than 50 yards would be encountered, I figured I wouldn't be loosing too much by using the 200's over the 240's.

The shot was about 35 yards.
Posted By: RidgeRaider

Re: First PA black bear.....and with a handgun! - 11/20/2016 2:25 AM

Congratulations, that's awesome!
Posted By: sw282

Re: First PA black bear.....and with a handgun! - 11/20/2016 9:37 AM

Great for you!!! l used to hunt bear in Potter County, Pa.
Close to the town of Coudersport.. Beautiful state with lots of good hunting land
Posted By: dhom

Re: First PA black bear.....and with a handgun! - 11/20/2016 11:32 AM

Congrats!!!!
Posted By: Bob Roach

Re: First PA black bear.....and with a handgun! - 11/20/2016 1:25 PM

Great Job!
Now you are hooked. A little confidence, and a few under your belt, and your rifles will be gathering dust. My Browning BBR 30-06 has not been shot in years.

Bob
Posted By: cont35bb

Re: First PA black bear.....and with a handgun! - 11/20/2016 3:23 PM

Steve in Pa,, Congrats on the blackie !! I carried my SBH Hunter in .45Colt Sat in Westmoreland Co. Changed my mind Fri night while packing. Had originally planned on carrying Encore 45-70. There was some action close by, but weather moved in taking temps from 68deg.s to 32 & winds that brought snow white out conditions. Watched front move in from Ohio into Pittsburgh on my phone. Preparing to add another layer of clothes (after retrieving my hat for the second time!)when brother texted me that he was heading to the truck !Felt like a solid course of action as the sloping tree I chose for a seat had ground moving from roots beside me ! W/ blizzard approaching I made it to truck just as hard rain hit. Just a few min.s of rain then sleet came ,followed by horizontal snow that socked us in for about half an hour. When a slight break came we started for low lands. I may give it another try w/ Dad ,Bro' inlaw & nephew on Tue.s in Cameron Co. Congrats again, good luck in deer season, contBB
Posted By: junebug

Re: First PA black bear.....and with a handgun! - 11/20/2016 4:09 PM

Nice! You never forget the first one.

Re: First PA black bear.....and with a handgun! - 11/20/2016 7:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Roach
Great Job!
Now you are hooked. A little confidence, and a few under your belt, and your rifles will be gathering dust. My Browning BBR 30-06 has not been shot in years.

Bob

Thanks, but my rifles are already collecting dust. I haven't hunted with one in quite a few years. I had a chance to take my first bear and with a handgun about 3-4 years ago. Spotted a nice bear, but then I saw cubs. So everyone got a pass.

Last year, I blew a chance at a nice bear again because all I had was a frontal shot and I did not want to take it. Prefer a broadside, but the bear would not give it to me.

Deed season starts next Monday!!
Posted By: jamesfromjersey

Re: First PA black bear.....and with a handgun! - 11/20/2016 8:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Steve in PA
Managed to take a small bear, about 75lbs this morning with my Ruger .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk.

wonderful.......
Posted By: thadf

Re: First PA black bear.....and with a handgun! - 11/21/2016 10:32 PM

you've got me beat by exactly.......one bear!!

Congrats
© 2024 Handgunhunt forums